IGNORED

GAS - Narkopop

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i won't translate the interview, as i would have to transcribe it first. But here's the article that was attached to it (won't be a very good translation, but whatever):

He is one of the most important techno-artists in the world: After 17 years W. Voigt will once more release an album of his project "GAS". The album title "NARKOPOP" is a manifesto, the musician states.

Nearly two decades have passed since the Cologne-based artitst W. Voigt has released his last GAS-album. The new album "NARKOPOP", which will hit the streets in april, aims to continue the classic aesthetic of GAS containing of symphonic extent and subtle variations, as the artist stated on friday in Deutschlandradio Kultur (culture radio for the intellectual).

The album title is a manifesto, Voigt eludicates. "If you know about the project "GAS", it's obvious, that is very much related to gloomy-hypnotic soundscapes, to darkness (he uses the english word) and also to very clustered and very dense soundscapes (he uses the english word)."

Voigt has heavily influenced the world of electronic music in the 90s like only few others did.  "GAS" protrudes from his many other projects . It's a gloomy sounding work of art based on heavily condensed snippets of classical music. The artist elaborates how clichés of german myths, the german forest and the romanticism form brothers grimm to Novalis have played an "associative role".

The fact that he is fascinated with the soughing beeches and limetrees stems from his childhood, in which he spent long periods of time in the forest together with his family. But also, "artist-escapism" is important: "My Inspiration, to seek salvation in the vastness of nature, to find inspiration, freedom and ecstasy in a double sense: on the one hand, the rustling of the forest, and on the other hand also the cliché of getting lost, in the vastness and deepness of nature."

The last bit revolves around his las "Rückverzauberung" performance and not about GAS, so i won't give a translation.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to receive my vinyl copy, but this is now "out there".  Going to take awhile to digest  but I note Narkopop tracks drift a lot more than prior the Gas releases.  Effectively a bit less minimal in that regard.  Many feature densely layered strings with frequent chord key changes. 

Its very murky overall. Closer to Zauberberg and some of Konigsforst than Pop in that regard which I like.  A couple of the beat tracks (2 and 5) seem to be mixed to intentionally bury the dense string stuff with the straightforward beats at the front. 

So yeah its good , but too early to to nerdy stuff like rank among the original forest trilogy. 

was afraid this might not be dank enough, or too clean-sounding.. though there's a nice, queasy vibrato (pitch-wise) going on in the opening track, and the second track is particularly dank--like an early Spring morning in New England (colonial horn), or a steaming compost pile in upstate New York.

This is like getting lost in the forest......

.....of a post-apocalyptic world post sea level rise decimation, etc with vague memories of what music used to sound like.

10/10

this stuff is very difficult to rate but a few listens in and i put this about on the same level as konigsforst or oktember. nowhere near the heights of pop and doesn't have the sublime standouts of zauberberg's first and last track. i'll still be listening all year though, looking forward to my box set.

This one works as an album perhaps better than any of the others. Particularly when you start dividing it into vinyl sides. Example is Narkopop 7, which I wouldn't rate as one of the greatest Gas tracks ever (it's pretty simple) but it just works so perfectly for where it is.  First, as a continuation of the marvelous Narkopop 6. Closes out an LP side, But in the context of the album, which had been pretty dense, minor and meandering strings to that point it just comes through as just this glorious, I would say sunny, but maybe bright moonlight in clearing with a pond and fireflies like out of Skyrim, reprieve. 

Out on the 21st of April, aka my birfday! 

Haha, mine too, actually.

Nice i told my girl this would make a great birthday pressie :-)

Such a subtle hint :). But the release date couldn't be more perfect, so...

My birthday too! Pre-ordered on behalf of my kids - still have to buy my own pressies! Watmm birthday / Gas listening party!

Happy birthday all - and enjoy Narkopop!

Giving it a listen on Spotify (I'll end up buying it shortly no doubt)..  Very enjoyable so far. For some reason Spotify has a track 11 listed as 71 minutes in length that is ghosted out

(The original GAS trilogy are among the few compact discs I'd keep were I to get rid of my CD collection to free up some space.)

Out on the 21st of April, aka my birfday! 

Haha, mine too, actually.

Nice i told my girl this would make a great birthday pressie :-)

Such a subtle hint :). But the release date couldn't be more perfect, so...

My birthday too! Pre-ordered on behalf of my kids - still have to buy my own pressies! Watmm birthday / Gas listening party!

Happy birthday all - and enjoy Narkopop!

Thanks, man, you too! Mine has shipped today so I have to wait for a bit as I tend to do a vinyl listening sesh for the first listen when (pre)ordering new stuff I haven't heard yet.

Track 11 is the whole album (i think).

Yep, Edited slightly into a continuous mix.

Oh wow - So a mix is on there too? I thought it was just a copy paste mistake on Boomkat and Bleep.

Track 11 is the whole album (i think).

Yep, Edited slightly into a continuous mix.

Oh wow - So a mix is on there too? I thought it was just a copy paste mistake on Boomkat and Bleep.

Track 11 of the digital version.  There's an exclusive Narkopop 11 for the vinyl release that isn't out there yet except for the preview on the Konigsforst site.

So basically Narkopop 1- 10 separately is about 78 minutes.  The 11th track is about 71 minutes and to me sounds as if each track is about :30 - 1:00 shorter to blend in with the next. I really like hearing it this way and many of the tracks plainly were mean to flow into each other 1-2, 4-5, and 6-7 in particular. 

Archived