Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

- - - - -

GAS - Narkopop
Kompakt - April 21, 2017

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#126 barbara planar

barbara planar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • 18 topics
  • Joined 13-February 06

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

no seams between tracks on the CD version, it's just one long/flowing/changing piece. BTW, it's lush as hell.. dig the airiness and almost humid quality of the production, even the kicks/percussion are soft and distant - like being in some kind of womb. All of the elements feel woven together, it doesn't just sound like a load of samples etc. with a beat tacked on--there are subtle changes in the dynamics that occur frequently. $14.59 is pretty decent for the heavy duty book/spine CD packaging from Amazon. Konigsforst and Zauberberg sound even better/singular now, within the bigger context.

#127 KGW

KGW

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • 9 topics
  • Joined 15-February 10

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

Those hornz in Narkopop 11.

:emotawesomepm9:  :emotawesomepm9:  :emotawesomepm9:

#128 barbara planar

barbara planar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • 18 topics
  • Joined 13-February 06

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

I think I've played this more than either Konigsforst and Zauberberg already.. it's very easy to relax to, where those two albums are somewhat less ambient (more action) and more commanding/engaging. it's lovely. is Narkopoop 11 different material, or is it an alternate mix  of the album tracks?

#129 Jamesqdot

Jamesqdot

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 25-February 10

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

I think I've played this more than either Konigsforst and Zauberberg already.. it's very easy to relax to, where those two albums are somewhat less ambient (more action) and more commanding/engaging. it's lovely. is Narkopoop 11 different material, or is it an alternate mix  of the album tracks?

It's a unique, 16 minute track. It's not quite as murky as the other tracks on Narkopop, so I can understand why it was relegated to vinyl-exclusive status.

#130 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • 90 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

there has always been a hole in Fantongles' understanding of the music he listens to with distant, academic attention but isn't actually a fan of.

Fantano's reviews are spot on.

I don't often like what he has to say about something I've listened to but after a few weeks, I look back and often find he was right.

Those who don't like him are usually people who cannot accept or listen to any criticism whatsoever.

not really though? he's just a random guy who likes the /mu canon of meme records and that makes up a lot of his fanbase. i mean, more power to him for organically developing his business model but he offers nothing insightful about the music he reviews, it's literally just a rundown of an artist bio that you can find on allmusic and then fantano's relatively inconsistent opinion which is never grounded in underlying politics or philosophy. 

I appreciate the existence of Fantono more than I appreciate his actual reviews. Fuck /mu but he's not on the same level as those twats as much as he's admired by them. He's still an independent voice IMO against the complacent PR shitshow of Pitchfork and it's imitators. Tiny Mixtapes fills this niche too. They both still have the balls to be contrarian and call albums every one else is lazily giving a thumbs up to overrated or shit. His review format and style is consistent which makes it easier for me to know when he's making a good point versus just winging it. 

In other words, a 2/10 review of Gas by needledrop is irrelevant to me because it's not an album where his perspective means anything. 

#131 beerwolf

beerwolf

2K, On My Way

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,007 posts
  • 193 topics
  • Joined 30-December 09

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

He (Fantano) did a good job of Ae's Exai, I thought he delivered a very respectful account of them as musicians and for a novice, an insight into what makes them tick.

Some days I don't mind him, some days he gets my goat....

Edited by beerwolf, 09 May 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#132 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,451 posts
  • 110 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:Riven
  • PSN:conlon_nancarrow

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

pitchfork is owned by conde nast so are a complete write-off - independent sheep in wolves clothing. tiny mixtapes actually manages to be even more insufferable than pitchfork somehow. fantano is just annoying. music "journalism" is uniformly terrible. music isn't good anymore. yes i am ready to die

#133 keanu reeves

keanu reeves

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 06-July 16
  • Interests:internet forums

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

I looked at pitchfork today and one headline was "daddy yankee thought that thom yorke cover of gasolina was real". What is happening?

#134 Anthro

Anthro

witty title here

• EKT Plus
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 04-July 15
  • Interests:Anthropology
  • Steam:Alexiad

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

motherfucking malaysian post fucking sucks. Pre-ordered it in march, and i've been attempting to call any kind of post office in malaysia to  ask where it is. Never got ahold of anyone till now, and they are saying that it is at the airport,  and that I need to call the airport and ask them to hold the item, because they are attempting to send it back to germany. Goddamn it I just want narkopop.

Fuckers.

#135 Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina

Assficionado

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • 80 topics
  • Joined 16-March 07
  • Interests:thots

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Just had to unicycle back in to say that Wolfie delivered the goods on this, fair play ya polka faced pantywaist

#136 Anthro

Anthro

witty title here

• EKT Plus
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 04-July 15
  • Interests:Anthropology
  • Steam:Alexiad

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:40 PM

They had shipped it back to germany due to some snafu, but i finally have my hands on it. narkopop 11 is lusher than most of the album. I dig it hard.

#137 PlatrixECV

PlatrixECV

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 29-April 13

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

My listening to this has veered heavily to the beat tracks  5, 7, and 10 in particular.

#138 eclipsis

eclipsis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • 5 topics
  • Joined 27-January 12
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/cairnem

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

They had shipped it back to germany due to some snafu, but i finally have my hands on it. narkopop 11 is lusher than most of the album. I dig it hard.

Right?!

#139 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts
  • 33 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:MIDI
    samplers
    delays

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

I preordered the deluxe edition and didn't check it out until recently. This is such a weird listening experience which I am really enjoying. I love how the melodies blur into each other between tracks and I'll get something from it stuck in my head but it actually pops up on 2 or 3 tracks so I'm not sure which variation got stuck in my head, or if it was a combination of them and I'm hearing like "phantom" melodies, like double exposed photos or something.

Also love the grainy, detuned old-sampler quality of the strings - it seems like he examined what made sampled music sound interesting and exciting in the 90s and carefully engineered the strings to have all those qualities without being kitschy or nostalgic.

The overall mood is dark and relaxing at the same time, can't think of anything quite like it except to some degree Seefeel's CH-Vox (which was a lot more somber) or maybe Philip Jeck (which doesn't really have the weird trance-like quality of this). It's like... ecstatically apocalyptic.

#140 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts
  • 235 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

nicely put

#141 patternoverlap

patternoverlap

ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts
  • 41 topics
  • Joined 19-November 05

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

Reminds me a bit of some of James Kirby's material too.

#142 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,200 posts
  • 174 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

Good shout - Yeah it's like if Kirby whacked something out on the ~scape label

#143 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • 90 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

I looked at pitchfork today and one headline was "daddy yankee thought that thom yorke cover of gasolina was real". What is happening?

I'm going to quote a oft posted comment on smash mouth remix videos on youtube that seems apt to this post:

"this is why god doesn't talk to us anymore"

#144 melancholera

melancholera

Remember

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 16-September 11

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

Just getting around to this. But God this album is amazing. Love the production, the size and scope of the sound-stage, and the overall dark-but-ambivalent feel of the whole thing. The string sounds are dead and center right up my alley. Musically, it sometimes sounds like two chords that have nothing really to do with each other are being played simultaneously -- but they still click somehow. And everything is HUGE in the best kind of way. Like you're an ant on the forest floor, making your way. One of my favorites this year for sure.