IGNORED

GAS - Narkopop

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might regret this but fuck it, right now I really want to say this is the best Gas album.

I'm there as well. This just feels more... complete. Like a thoroughly composed sonic journey. And I absolutely adore the sound design used here. This might be a new album enthusiasm speaking though. Time will tell. Btw. I love Zauberberg and Königsforst but am not the biggest fan of Pop.

Just he dislikes it so for the drone ambient style with melancholy 4/4 beat which is, erm Gas' raison d'être

I know right? Why doesn't he just say he doesn't like the dark and murky classical elements and be done with it, rather than endlessly referring ONLY to Pop and ignoring the rest of the catalogue?

^ And yet the the watmm tfw set keeps a postin' his turdage

Also, being not up on my Deutch, is narkopop some sort of amalgam of the latin narco- (of or related to sleep, like narcolepsy) and pop?

Fantano's reviews are spot on.

I don't often like what he has to say about something I've listened to but after a few weeks, I look back and often find he was right.

Those who don't like him are usually people who cannot accept or listen to any criticism whatsoever.

not really though? he's just a random guy who likes the /mu canon of meme records and that makes up a lot of his fanbase. i mean, more power to him for organically developing his business model but he offers nothing insightful about the music he reviews, it's literally just a rundown of an artist bio that you can find on allmusic and then fantano's relatively inconsistent opinion which is never grounded in underlying politics or philosophy. 

i listened to a GAS track once and i was on xtc, maybe yo guys know wich one i'm talking about,

it felt like i was in a forrest but i couldn't see shit cause it was dark and raining and there were branches with leafs blowing in my face the whole time from the wind while some fat dude kept playing techno in the distance, gave it a light decent 7

not really though? he's just a random guy who likes the /mu canon of meme records and that makes up a lot of his fanbase. i mean, more power to him for organically developing his business model but he offers nothing insightful about the music he reviews, it's literally just a rundown of an artist bio that you can find on allmusic and then fantano's relatively inconsistent opinion which is never grounded in underlying politics or philosophy. 

If I was a bit more articulate, that's how I would put it.

He's good at what he does for a certain crowd, but there's no insightful life story behind anything. Just a boffin, who's done his homework and trying desperately (and successfully at times) on how clever he is.

Remember he tried to pull that stunt when you had to pay him for his review of Tangerine Dreams Phaedra? Or did I dream that? What a wanker lol.

Guest transmisiones ferox

2/10 is a pretty retarded score anyway, but maybe better than that "beaten to death 6/10", ok, don't like it, get it.

now go listen and decide for your self

Ha at everyone who doesn't agree with Fanturdo being unable to accept criticism.

Criticism of anything is just fine, but make sure you know what the fuck you're talking about first. In this case, yes, Narkopop hearkens back to that minor thing of ONLY 3/4 of the GAS oeuvre. So his review basically misses the whole point by focusing only on the last record, and also the only one that sounds nothing like what came before. By this logic, Pop should've failed, or it should've been the only GAS album anyone thought was any good.

But it isn't, so.

there has always been a hole in Fantongles' understanding of the music he listens to with distant, academic attention but isn't actually a fan of.

no seams between tracks on the CD version, it's just one long/flowing/changing piece. BTW, it's lush as hell.. dig the airiness and almost humid quality of the production, even the kicks/percussion are soft and distant - like being in some kind of womb. All of the elements feel woven together, it doesn't just sound like a load of samples etc. with a beat tacked on--there are subtle changes in the dynamics that occur frequently. $14.59 is pretty decent for the heavy duty book/spine CD packaging from Amazon. Konigsforst and Zauberberg sound even better/singular now, within the bigger context.

Archived