IGNORED

Dollarstore Keyboard thread

omnii

• 3 months later...

Cult 45 is fucking great. Pnumber didn't do much for me.

Checking out some of your album on SC and you're all over the place. I dig it

Thanks so much! Cult 45 is one of my favorites. I usually spend way more time on my tracks than i did on Pnumber, i'm still considering going back and seeing what else i can come up with. I might even scrap all the melodies and build something else over the beat.

Glad to hear that! It felt oddly vulnerable uploading this because it feels more clean and minimal compared to what i usually put out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like the noodly half-formed feel to Pnumber. I think it definitely has the potential to be a righteous track with a little more variety. The vibes it's got going for it are just great though.

Thanks so much for reaching out! Makes me wanna keep kicking it around. Revisiting this song it sounds a bit empty but i have loads of ideas.

• 1 month later...

Hello there! My MPC stopped functioning so i have dipped my toe in to making percussion on software. On this track I am using an FM drum synth called 'Ephemere' by Inear display. The live synths are from my MS-20 mini with a dash of Moog Sub 37 and Volcakey/beats. The effects are mostly Inear display VST's like 'Amalgame' and 'Gorgon'. Everything was either sequenced on a Beatstep Pro or played live. I'd love to get some feedback on this one!

Hello, i just recently finished a track that seems to be heavily influenced by much of the music i saw Aphex Twin play at Day for Night in Houston. The strongest examples i could give would be Jlin, Qebrus and Sd Laika. I hope you guys enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/cult-45

Love the unsettling sounds and the slide strings, reminds me of Angelo Badalamenti's themes from the other world on Fire Walk With Me.

Hello LemonMelon, thanks for listening and reaching out! I'm currently trying to find the Badalamenti music you refer to online. I should probably just watch the film! I loved the first season of Twin Peaks and have been meaning to make the time to take in the rest.

• 1 month later...

Hello friends! My 2 most recent tracks have been mixed and mastered by Qebrus at his ExolabZ studio, i put them together into a little single because i was excited to get them out to the world. I will link both soundcloud and bandcamp for your clicking pleasure!

Bandcamp: 

https://dollarstorekeyboard.bandcamp.com/album/pnumber-rave-on-arrakis

Edited by omnii

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised at the caliber of feedback i have been getting over this ambient track i posted. I think it's good, I guess sometimes i forget i'm not the only person who likes ambient music. It was made with an array of samplers looping on a kaoss pad with some live guitar played on top. This one has downloads enabled. https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/clarkwork-2

Edited by omnii

Thanks! I'm thinking i should be finishing and sharing more tracks like this in the future. This was part of an abandoned ambient record i was trying to put together. I was going to call it "Selected Ambien Works Volume I".

• 1 month later...

I have been working nonstop the last couple weeks on a tribute to Qebrus using sample packs he produced. He was a huge inspiration to me and also a generous and kind friend. When i started making this i didn't really have high hopes of coming up with anything i'd be satisfied with. Something came over me as soon as i had the samples loaded up and i did the majority of this in a day and have been mostly refining it since. I hope you like it, i feel weird putting out something that is supposed to pay tribute to such a brilliant mind.

I uploaded a new track to soundcloud. It's way faster and cleaner than what i usually produce. I'm really happy with the result but i only finished it up a couple days ago, and it came together very fast. I'd love to hear your thoughts!!

https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/pnumber

harmony and melody wise it's pretty cool, i just think the bass and the beats are not strong enough. rhythmically speaking the beats are quite entertaining but the samples used could be stronger or dirtier i guess. the bass's rhythm is a bit disjointed and the sound used for it is also too flat imo... anyway great job. :thumbsup:

pretty dope! great tribute! R.I.P.

I uploaded a new track to soundcloud. It's way faster and cleaner than what i usually produce. I'm really happy with the result but i only finished it up a couple days ago, and it came together very fast. I'd love to hear your thoughts!!

https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/pnumber

harmony and melody wise it's pretty cool, i just think the bass and the beats are not strong enough. rhythmically speaking the beats are quite entertaining but the samples used could be stronger or dirtier i guess. the bass's rhythm is a bit disjointed and the sound used for it is also too flat imo... anyway great job. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for your feedback, i'm very happy to hear you like my tribute track!

I agree about the bass and beats not being strong enough on Pnumber and i actually sent that track to Qebrus to master. He told me "This track is really good! Sounds like some Tuss" and i told him that was the best thing anyone had ever said to me. Maybe you'll like this one more! Some of the subtlety is lost but it sounds pretty huge. https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/pnumber-exolabz-mix