IGNORED

Elektron Digitakt

misc

Guest Chesney

This one is half the price nearly.

It's gonna be a mix between Machinedrum and Octatrack but lite versions. Still amazingly useable. I kind of hope it's just that and no new tricks as I don't want another one ha.

Yeah, I'm very happy with the Octatrack, especially since I bought mine recently for only $100 more than what the Digitakt is going for in Australia.

Having said that, it looks slick as fuck, and I'd love to see what the full feature set is like.

Yeah, true. It'd be interesting though to have a midi sequencer track cut a sample track, or vice versa.

Also, muting/unmuting tracks that cut each other would be interesting.

Guest bitroast

this is exactly the kind of video i'm interested in and want to watch .. but seems bit misinformed spending 15 minutes on this when the thing isn't out or even been demoed yet, the inside infrastructure explained or understood. 

ooh, that's a good point. Hopefully it's handled in a better way than on the machinedrum.

why would you want to limit 8 tracks even further? seems like sample locks would do the trick.

I think the chokes on the rytm and the MD are some of their most IDM features.

Yeah I love monophonic drum sequencing. The MD didn't handle it in the way I wanted—I prefer having choke groups rather than having it on a per-track basis (which I find more limiting; what if I want everything to choke everything?)

Edited by modey

The surcharge for the full version of overbridge is pretty tacky. But I get it, they probably put a lot of resources into it...

1 person afaik

If every unit comes with one person inside, that's an amazing deal.  The Ibanez Jem VAI 2K DNA has only Steve Vai's blood in it, and they go for around $10,000~$20,000... DIGITAKT IZ BARGAIN.

I have a distinct feeling from how they've been (not) releasing information that this product isn't actually done. Or maybe it is by now, but I honestly think they've been still finalizing details and functionality by the week. I've been seeing bits people are posting on Gearslutz where private email questions to Elektron support are doling out more information when prodded. It's pretty shoddy just in how they're handling everything...especially the extra cash for full overbridge support.

I have a distinct feeling from how they've been (not) releasing information that this product isn't actually done. Or maybe it is by now, but I honestly think they've been still finalizing details and functionality by the week. I've been seeing bits people are posting on Gearslutz where private email questions to Elektron support are doling out more information when prodded. It's pretty shoddy just in how they're handling everything...especially the extra cash for full overbridge support.

Yeah I'm not really getting good vibes.

Guest Chesney

Unless they are gauging reaction and trying to fullfill wishlists.

I personally don't need it because I doubt it does something wildly new to the other machines but maybe they are trying to put as much Machinedrum functionality in it as possible due to people asking.

Yeah I'm just perceiving this as their "budget" offering. Which is cool, especially after they released an $800 dirtbox (which apparently is pretty good and I kinda sorta want one but frankly I think I'd rather have an MS-20 mini... anyway...).

But the Overbridge surcharge to me reeks of an internal discussion/compromise about moving in this direction. On the one hand, they are more likely to hit a sweet spot on the supply/demand continuum. On the other, some Elektron personnel might see it as a threat to their bottom line because an individual unit probably doesn't yield as much net profit as their "premium" machines that made a name for them. So they're taking a cue from console games where you have a crippled OOB product and you pony up for the profitable DLC.

It'll be interesting to see how Elektron reacts if the profits for the OB full version end up being lackluster, or they end up pissing off a lot of loyal customers and realize they've made a mistake. What if they end up backpedaling and ultimately offer it free - how will they compensate the few people who shelled out for it, then?

There is a new sort of a charm to the look of this box. It looks simultaneously more utilitarian and more like a toy to me, kind of like a power screwdriver or something. I hope it ends up being a decent machine because I do like the idea of it... at least what I know about it.