IGNORED

Lada Laika thread

Lada Laika

These are solid songs! Skin on Skin has some clipping sounding distortion at 2:13, 2:14 area.

Very pretty synth sounds. Percussion in these is not too simple and not overly complex, so they compliment your synth sounds in a very smooth way.

Nice mixing and crispness to the sounds.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

i prefer the way you've handled the retrigged drums on blaze haze and the above track in comparison to some of your others. a bit more subtle (going from my memory of your older tracks)

the piano is really nice on the latest track

the mixing is good on both

i prefer the way you've handled the retrigged drums on blaze haze and the above track in comparison to some of your others. a bit more subtle (going from my memory of your older tracks)

the piano is really nice on the latest track

the mixing is good on both

Much appreciated. really trying to use the rt sparingly these days and just let it ride. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some lush sounds throughout. Really like the drum sounds and the mood of them is nice. Reminded me of some Phil Collins or something (in a good way). The high synths for the intro and the arpy stuff is all good. I was hoping for maybe some more movement from the high synths and the outro...really liked the build up about 5:40-6:00ish, worked well. Drums are maybe mixed a tad low (but I'm not listening on good monitors) and that may just be a mixing choice for the mood and sound of the track of course.

sincere thanks to you both for your ears and your time.

Some lush sounds throughout. Really like the drum sounds and the mood of them is nice. Reminded me of some Phil Collins or something (in a good way). The high synths for the intro and the arpy stuff is all good. I was hoping for maybe some more movement from the high synths and the outro...really liked the build up about 5:40-6:00ish, worked well. Drums are maybe mixed a tad low (but I'm not listening on good monitors) and that may just be a mixing choice for the mood and sound of the track of course.

Appreciate the feedback. Yea the drums were mixed low intentionally but they could probably come up and have the same effect. I’m trying to find the line between more movement and hypnotic repetition, it’s a toughie - will look into that. Thanks again!

v chill, almost meditative, new agey. 6min onward is my favourite section. like the plucky synths and the bass. nice track.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

i listened to Avocado Drill and Roots in the Frost, really like em both!

the large bassy pad that starts Avocado and goes all the way through, i think might sound better to just turn it down a bit in the mix. like everything else would pop out nicely then maybe - feels like it's a bit on top of everything instead of under/around. same thing with the similar pad in the first half of Frost. (i am listening on quite bass-heavy headphones tho, and, personal taste obvs)

i feel the quiet drums work nicely :) and love that guitar-ish sounding arpy stuff that comes in, sweet sounds!

Really nice. Beautiful pad sound and chords. My fav part is the synth key sound that comes in around 2.40, what did you use for that?

Thanks - that bit is from Reaktor, which is coincidentally what produced most of Summit Avenue Tracks.

i listened to Avocado Drill and Roots in the Frost, really like em both!

the large bassy pad that starts Avocado and goes all the way through, i think might sound better to just turn it down a bit in the mix. like everything else would pop out nicely then maybe - feels like it's a bit on top of everything instead of under/around. same thing with the similar pad in the first half of Frost. (i am listening on quite bass-heavy headphones tho, and, personal taste obvs)

i feel the quiet drums work nicely :) and love that guitar-ish sounding arpy stuff that comes in, sweet sounds!

Thank you! Yeah, I only have bookshelf speakers at home so I'm sure the bass reproduction is not the best. Definitely something to keep in mind when going into mixdown. 

Really liked Avocado Drill, especially where those strange melodies breath when the drums drop out. Were you working with some non-standard scale or alt tunings or just making the melodies intuitively? Either way really sweet stuff, thought those parts could have been the foundation for a cool ambient track. Regarding your last post, have you ever tried mixing with headphones? I recently got a pair of Sony MDR-7510s. They are fairly affordable and I believe the response covers the whole frequency range. The response is also nice and flat in them so you know what you are hearing. I usually mix in those and then unplug them and listen through the monitors from time to time, especially to make sure that the kick and bass produce a nice thump in my chest. I'm in the process of learning to mix and the headphones have been a great asset. 

Really liked Avocado Drill, especially where those strange melodies breath when the drums drop out. Were you working with some non-standard scale or alt tunings or just making the melodies intuitively? Either way really sweet stuff, thought those parts could have been the foundation for a cool ambient track. Regarding your last post, have you ever tried mixing with headphones? I recently got a pair of Sony MDR-7510s. They are fairly affordable and I believe the response covers the whole frequency range. The response is also nice and flat in them so you know what you are hearing. I usually mix in those and then unplug them and listen through the monitors from time to time, especially to make sure that the kick and bass produce a nice thump in my chest. I'm in the process of learning to mix and the headphones have been a great asset. 

Thanks! I do pretty much everything intuitively, and funnily enough most of my tracks start towards on the ambient side of things. I prefer mixing on monitors over cans but usually switch between the two more often than not. A lot of times, the stuff that ends up on soundcloud just comes out the way it did when I was recording it, and when it comes time to prep a release I'll swing back around to them and re-mix and master them. It just depends, Avocado Drill and Roots are both definitely rough mixes, for example, whereas Slagabond is the version I mixed and IG88 mastered for the Snare Snacks cassette. 

Avocade one is not really my genre at all, but I think its well made. Can not give any advice since I am not familiar with the genre... but I like the drums a lot.

• 3 months later...

Very clean indeed. Sound design could maybe be a little more adventurous, dunno.

But, you know, it flows and it doesn't get boring, so you're doing something right.

So you could say it's a bit easy and obvious, but on the other hand you could also call it effortless.

Archived