IGNORED

Lada Laika thread

Lada Laika

Following others' example, I'm gonna consolidate everything I post to one thread from now on. Been wacky busy with finals but I get a week off next week so hoping to be able to kick out some jams.

Here's another ditty I wrote when I first bought Reaktor, was originally longer but I disliked the ending so I reworked it a bit. Still needs something though... anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/ladalaika/ursine

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extremely mellow and soothing pads combined with sparse but smartly arranged percussion. If someone told me this was from one of AFX' Soundcloud accounts I'd probably believe it. Love it

thank you! best compliment I've ever received

cool track, i can't really think of anything in particular that needs reworking. it doesn't really lead to an intense climax or anything but that's not a bad thing

reaktor looks cool, maybe i'll get it one of thes days

Yeah the original version had more of a traditional climax and it just didn't sit right, I like the idea of zigging when I feel the urge to zag. Thanks for the feedback!

Reaktor is awesome. If you don't want to drop $200 on it, last Thanksgiving NI had everything 50% off, that's when I got it. It's become one of my primary tools, probably the one I use the most in the box.

Yeah, this is v good. Maybe the retriggers are bit over the top sometimes for my taste but otherwise dig it.

Really like the patience shown, the melodies and the 'quietness' of the sounds, the mix is good. A lot of care has gone into this. The only thing I don't really like is the retriggered drums. I think it sounds weird with the mellowness of the track but obviously juxtaposition (and doing whatever the fuck you want...) is cool. 

Thanks you guys! I definitely was going for the juxtaposition aspect, but I can see where a little can go a long way as far as retriggers are concerned. Will probably take another pass at the drums at some point in the future.

Yeah I enjoyed this quite a bit. Definitely getting some Aphex vibes. Got a question, what do you use Reaktor for? Drums? I'm pretty new to the software side of things. 

Yeah I enjoyed this quite a bit. Definitely getting some Aphex vibes. Got a question, what do you use Reaktor for? Drums? I'm pretty new to the software side of things.

I use it primarily for polyphonic synthesis, as I've only got an MS20 mini and a Minibrute on the hardware end of things. I've been trying to learn to build my own synths within the program, but it's so intimidating!

Thanks for listening!!

Ferncliffs <3

Oh man, deep cuts! So unbelievably flattered you made it that far down my timeline. I have a whole EP's worth of trax from those sessions from when I lived at my dad's house on an island with a broken ankle (circa 2015)...

why don't you organize your tracks in EPs with amazing flow?

I have one up on bandcamp of 2015/2016 trax that I thought fit thematically, but I still feel like I'm trying to find my sound. Ferncliffs and Manitou were going to be part of a concept album about the island I lived on but I never finished it...

why don't you organize your tracks in EPs with amazing flow?

I have one up on bandcamp of 2015/2016 trax that I thought fit thematically, but I still feel like I'm trying to find my sound. Ferncliffs and Manitou were going to be part of a concept album about the island I lived on but I never finished it...

Same here, I tried throwing together old tracks that I though would fit but I'm not entirely happy yet. I'll give it another 5 years of practise

new one, not sure if I'm done with it or not, but I added some nudges of EQ and gentle compression here and there... hmm

https://soundcloud.com/ladalaika/transsister-v2-drums-edit

really playful melodies! i dig. the random beat repeat could maybeee use a little honing in and tightening up (less random, more responsive to the happenings in the tune if that makes sense), but that is more of a personal taste thing i suppose. solid tune, man!

new one, not sure if I'm done with it or not, but I added some nudges of EQ and gentle compression here and there... hmm

https://soundcloud.com/ladalaika/transsister-v2-drums-edit

really playful melodies! i dig. the random beat repeat could maybeee use a little honing in and tightening up (less random, more responsive to the happenings in the tune if that makes sense), but that is more of a personal taste thing i suppose. solid tune, man!

I've been playing around with BR settings a lot, trying to micromanage a lot of that stuff, so it's definitely a constant evolution. On one hand I like little injections of chaos, but I also like precision. So it's been a learning curve. Thanks for listening!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bass lines and percussion hit the spot. I like how the pace started to pick up a little at 2:38, woulda been wicked if it went into overdrive or something. :music:

thanks! I might have to do that now... might need to switch up the melody like the bass too

This is quite a kind of thing I like. The bass lines are funky and playful. I also like the melodic action that is going on. Also enough variety to composition through out the track. I also like the drum rhythm transitions. Maybe I would like the bass to be more dominant and fat. I also used to do a similar repeat/delay effect on synths as you have at around 1:20 with a similar repetition rate, but I ceased to be fan of it. I like the track. Good stuff.

This is quite a kind of thing I like. The bass lines are funky and playful. I also like the melodic action that is going on. Also enough variety to composition through out the track. I also like the drum rhythm transitions. Maybe I would like the bass to be more dominant and fat. I also used to do a similar repeat/delay effect on synths as you have at around 1:20 with a similar repetition rate, but I ceased to be fan of it. I like the track. Good stuff.

Thanks for listening! Yeah one of my goals when this hits mixdown is to bring the bass up just a tad. May I ask why you ceased to be a fan of that synth verb/delay? I like it a lot (though I've been trying to avoid overusing it)

Archived