IGNORED

How brilliant are Autechre?

dingformung

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to point out that this is a leading question. Like, there's no good response other than "brilliant." Which is actually a pretty shit response.

They're ok. Havent dug into Elseq yet, but I just don't find a lot of their discography to be especially enjoyable or musical. I just know that I love Lego Feet, Amber, Anti EP, Gescom and their Peel Sesh, and hate the LP5 promo CD I have. #autechrenoob

I suspect they'll continue on as they are for quite some time, doing fairly well and continuing to challenge their fans.

Years after their deaths some music writer/historian will "discover" them and they'll see a surge in popularity/trendy coolness and P4K (if they are still around) will do an about face on theor reviews of them over the years.

• 2 years later...
On 3/21/2017 at 8:56 PM, ganus said:

I just want to point out that this is a leading question. Like, there's no good response other than "brilliant." Which is actually a pretty shit response.

They're ok. Havent dug into Elseq yet, but I just don't find a lot of their discography to be especially enjoyable or musical. I just know that I love Lego Feet, Amber, Anti EP, Gescom and their Peel Sesh, and hate the LP5 promo CD I have. #autechrenoob

Autechre, never really got into their music. There are some really nice tracks for me, but out of the more accessible ones. It seems like a lot of artists are considered "brilliant" because they are making very complex/complicated music. But emotion is also important. Or a certain groove. A lot of Autechre stuff sounds to me like it would be a nice effect to implement it in a DJ Set and it is really impressive what they are creating sound-wise. But I prefer a certain kind of catchiness. Maybe that's why I like Aphex' stuff more. Does this make him more brilliant? Maybe. Maybe not. In the end all a matter of taste.

11 hours ago, indulin said:

Autechre, never really got into their music. There are some really nice tracks for me, but out of the more accessible ones. It seems like a lot of artists are considered "brilliant" because they are making very complex/complicated music. But emotion is also important. Or a certain groove. A lot of Autechre stuff sounds to me like it would be a nice effect to implement it in a DJ Set and it is really impressive what they are creating sound-wise. But I prefer a certain kind of catchiness. Maybe that's why I like Aphex' stuff more. Does this make him more brilliant? Maybe. Maybe not. In the end all a matter of taste.

I think it's a strength of AE to make very complicated rhythms sound fluid and accessible. They mix in sounds at very different volumes and distances creating an abstract space with incredible depth. If you pay attention to just the foreground sounds AE is just pretty good electronic music but if those genius little details come to your attention whole universes emerge and collapse within seconds

Archived