IGNORED

What if I told You

diatoms

i've always thought it was 'A Dark Side Of The Moon'. weird.

Nice, Trust Your Memories:)

I haven't heard that variation before

:)

'A quantum experiment suggests there’s no such thing as objective reality'

'Physicists have long suspected that quantum mechanics allows two observers to experience different, conflicting realities. Now they’ve performed the first experiment that proves it.'

Back in 1961, the Nobel Prize–winning physicist Eugene Wigner outlined a thought experiment that demonstrated one of the lesser-known paradoxes of quantum mechanics. The experiment shows how the strange nature of the universe allows two observers—say, Wigner and Wigner’s friend—to experience different realities.

Since then, physicists have used the “Wigner’s Friend” thought experiment to explore the nature of measurement and to argue over whether objective facts can exist. That’s important because scientists carry out experiments to establish objective facts. But if they experience different realities, the argument goes, how can they agree on what these facts might be?

That’s provided some entertaining fodder for after-dinner conversation, but Wigner’s thought experiment has never been more than that—just a thought experiment.  

wigners-friend.jpg?sw=600&cx=0&cy=0&cw=1

Last year, however, physicists noticed that recent advances in quantum technologies have made it possible to reproduce the Wigner’s Friend test in a real experiment. In other words, it ought to be possible to create different realities and compare them in the lab to find out whether they can be reconciled.

And today, Massimiliano Proietti at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh and a few colleagues say they have performed this experiment for the first time: they have created different realities and compared them. Their conclusion is that Wigner was correct—these realities can be made irreconcilable so that it is impossible to agree on objective facts about an experiment.

Wigner’s original thought experiment is straightforward in principle. It begins with a single polarized photon that, when measured, can have either a horizontal polarization or a vertical polarization. But before the measurement, according to the laws of quantum mechanics, the photon exists in both polarization states at the same time—a so-called superposition.

Wigner imagined a friend in a different lab measuring the state of this photon and storing the result, while Wigner observed from afar.

Wigner has no information about his friend’s measurement and so is forced to assume that the photon and the measurement of it are in a superposition of all possible outcomes of the experiment.

Wigner can even perform an experiment to determine whether this superposition exists or not. This is a kind of interference experiment showing that the photon and the measurement are indeed in a superposition.

From Wigner’s point of view, this is a “fact”—the superposition exists. And this fact suggests that a measurement cannot have taken place.

But this is in stark contrast to the point of view of the friend, who has indeed measured the photon’s polarization and recorded it. The friend can even call Wigner and say the measurement has been done (provided the outcome is not revealed).

So the two realities are at odds with each other. “This calls into question the objective status of the facts established by the two observers,” say Proietti and co.

That’s the theory, but last year Caslav Brukner, at the University of Vienna in Austria, came up with a way to re-create the Wigner’s Friend experiment in the lab by means of techniques involving the entanglement of many particles at the same time.

The breakthrough that Proietti and co have made is to carry this out. “In a state-of-the-art 6-photon experiment, we realize this extended Wigner’s friend scenario,” they say.

They use these six entangled photons to create two alternate realities—one representing Wigner and one representing Wigner’s friend. Wigner’s friend measures the polarization of a photon and stores the result. Wigner then performs an interference measurement to determine if the measurement and the photon are in a superposition.

The experiment produces an unambiguous result. It turns out that both realities can coexist even though they produce irreconcilable outcomes, just as Wigner predicted.

That raises some fascinating questions that are forcing physicists to reconsider the nature of reality.

The idea that observers can ultimately reconcile their measurements of some kind of fundamental reality is based on several assumptions. The first is that universal facts actually exist and that observers can agree on them.

But there are other assumptions too. One is that observers have the freedom to make whatever observations they want. And another is that the choices one observer makes do not influence the choices other observers make—an assumption that physicists call locality.

If there is an objective reality that everyone can agree on, then these assumptions all hold.

But Proietti and co’s result suggests that objective reality does not exist. In other words, the experiment suggests that one or more of the assumptions—the idea that there is a reality we can agree on, the idea that we have freedom of choice, or the idea of locality—must be wrong.

Of course, there is another way out for those hanging on to the conventional view of reality. This is that there is some other loophole that the experimenters have overlooked. Indeed, physicists have tried to close loopholes in similar experiments for years, although they concede that it may never be possible to close them all.

Nevertheless, the work has important implications for the work of scientists. “The scientific method relies on facts, established through repeated measurements and agreed upon universally, independently of who observed them,” say Proietti and co. And yet in the same paper, they undermine this idea, perhaps fatally.

The next step is to go further: to construct experiments creating increasingly bizarre alternate realities that cannot be reconciled. Where this will take us is anybody’s guess. But Wigner, and his friend, would surely not be surprised.

Ref: arxiv.org/abs/1902.05080 : Experimental Rejection of Observer-Independence in the Quantum World

March 12, 2019

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613092/a-quantum-experiment-suggests-theres-no-such-thing-as-objective-reality/

Retconned thread:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Retconned/comments/b09y0b/scientists_perform_experiment_showing_that_two/

Be the Light that radiates unconditional Love, Forgive, Heal and have Fun:)

Thanks for posting this, ManjuShri

:)

ManjuShri, on 27 Apr 2019 - 8:32 PM, said:snapback.png

I just wanted to see

if I repost

Love 7

what happens to my reputation?

I think I told you about the time I took a huge dose of magic mushrooms when I VISITED THE DARK SIDE and had to wage a war on my insane state of mind to make it through to the light. I'm not sure if you have ever had to fight imaginary but real life demons. It's a serious state of mind. I remember the only thing I told myself to keep my sanity was that it was a drug and the effects would slowly and surely wear off. That was my mantra. A large dose of tropical magical mushrooms is a beast not to be taken lightly, but I actually defeated it. I won. Maybe a little brain damage lol.

Weed has such a powerful effect on me. It's fair to say I'm a huge lightweight. Like the guy you know who has 3 beers and turns into a right fucking embarrassment, well a whiff of the weed..

So up on the north shore of Sydney, if you follow it you'll end up the Barrenjoey Lighthouse on Palm Beach, just before there there's a place called Avalon (yeah maaan) where there's a backpackers. Proper savage place which I could tell many stories about but let's cut to the chase (locals used to buy their weed from a Cornish bloke in the backpackers hahaha!)

Sat in the common tv room in the morning during some storm, some fucking savage bearded bloke just walks in off the street, looks hard as nails, a character. Bear in mind I'm thinking of probably wandering down to the bottle shop and getting a case of Coopers Green and having a few wanks and that will be my daily chores. He's there! Hard as nails! He needs a man for a days work! Thoughts of the case of beer and a few wanks unfortunately disappear, and the loyal beast rises up to the challenge! As I always do.

Right cutting to the chase, he's a removal man, he needs an extra pair of hands, he's gonna pay me $15 an hour cash in hand, I get up off my arse, put my boots on , grab my flask of water and sun hat and I'm out of the backpackers. I'm sat in his van. His name is Mack, there's another person in the cab. A redneck weirdo, from the Planet Inbreed. Proper Australian inbred redneck. Looked a bit like the bloke from Korn but more fucking backwards, and very creepy.

So we do the job, and of course, being myself and displaying my usual talent and great skill of digging myself deeper into a massive fucking hole I start getting on with Child of the Korn. To be honest we worked hard, and I got the main man out of a tight corner. So we end up going to his house (main man mack) in the Surrey Hills area. We end up having dinner with his family, it's all the lad from England has saved the day, the beer flows all the family want to ask me questions about...Old Country stuff. I distinctly remember Jerome Jerome book Three Men In A Boat being talked about (because I live near Maidenhead, Marlow, Cookham)

This is when the twist takes place. Child of the Korn whispers to me (he's driving, because he doesn't drink) that he'll drop me back in Avalon but he's going back to his mates house for a smoke first. Oh yes. So the main man waves goodbye to me, I get in the cab with Child of the Korn. We go to his friends house for a smoke. Drive somewhere, get to his mates house. Somewhere in NSW. I'm well drunk, you know maybe 10 bottles of beer and a few glasses of wine. Quietly steaming. 

I'm in some outhouse, a basement. Somewhere. Child of the Korn and his friend are just sucking on the bongs. Very aware of my lightweight nature and the terrific chemical reaction I'm going to have while drunk I wisely choose just a hand rolled spliff. Nah bad idea, man I smoke the weed, very bad idea. So then the universe around me starts folding in on itself, taking me with it. The feeling of total helplessness and total paranoia just explode over me like a tidal wave. Like a paralysed field mouse with hawks hovering overhead. There is no hiding place. And I need to get out of there. When the weed hits me especially when drunk, when I close my eyes I'm almost running into a seasick abyss, speeding on a psychedelic path of fast moving shapes, twisting and turning. I am convinced these guys want to kill me. I try to explain I need to get back home. Then the friend of Child of the Korn, puts on a shark documentary. He says something like 'lets watch these sharks kill weaker fish'. So we sit and watch the documentary.

Finally I escape, we get back in the van to go home. Child of the Korn tells me first he has to go to his friends farm, so we drive out to his friends farm. It's about 2 o'clock in the morning. I'm tired and off to bed. But trust me when I was dying of paranoia and weakness in that cab at 2am out in the middle of nowhere at another one of his strange friends farm. And when I finally crawled through the door of my Avalon backpackers 4 bed dorm at 3am and cried out loud to Jesus for still being alive.

• Thanks 2

I Enjoyed that Memory, Thanks beer badger:)

May 1

We faced the

Green Man

Let him chop off his Head

thought he was dead

1 year hence

Everything makes sense

constructing my new reality:)

takes a second...

'Simon Harris says Ireland may own its own medicinal cannabis supply in the future'

'The legislation to underpin the medicinal cannabis scheme is due to be signed off on in the coming weeks.'

May 07, 2019

6:15am

https://www.thejournal.ie/simon-harris-2-4618920-May2019/

HEALTH MINISTER SIMON Harris has said Ireland could own its own medicinal cannabis supply in the future. 

In the most recent episode of The Explainer podcast, TheJournal.ie spoke to Harris about whether Ireland would one day grow its own medicinal cannabis. 

He said he has a “very open mind” about Ireland doing so, stating that his “gut feeling is [that] it should”.

The minister went one step further, indicating that the State or the public health service might end up owning its own medicinal cannabis supply. 

“I don’t necessarily think it would have to be a matter of Big Pharma, it could be well be that Ireland Inc would decide to own its own supply and that the public health service could own its own supply, or indeed that existing state companies and the likes could decide to diversify into this space,” he said. 

Supplying cannabis to Ireland 

“Who wants to supply medicinal cannabis to Ireland?” – that is a question Harris said the government is now asking. He added there are companies that are involved in the industry interested in doing business with Ireland. 

The minister said he will “very shortly” sign off on the legislation that will underpin the medicinal cannabis access scheme. 

If Ireland does end up growing and selling its own supply, could the country be a hub for medicinal cannabis in Europe?

“Yeah, maybe. Is that a questions for me or the Minister for Agriculture, and where does that fit with government and the public sector? I certainly wouldn’t rule it out, but my priority as health minister is to ensure Irish patients can access something that some European countries have been able to,” said Harris. 

Currently, only a handful of Irish people have been granted a ministerial licence to be prescribed medicinal cannabis. However, with no medicinal cannabis available in Ireland, families and their loved ones are forced to travel abroad to fill their prescriptions. 

At their own expense, many families travel to pharmacies in the Netherlands or Canada to get medicinal cannabis. 

Under the new medicinal access scheme, which is not yet up and running, families will be able to obtain medicinal cannabis from an approved supplier. Earlier this year, the Department of Health signed off on a commercial supplier to import medicinal cannabis into Ireland. 

If you look at our access programme, it will be seen as pretty progressive. I think it is very much in line with what seems to be best practice in a number of European countries. Of course you will also have people argue that it could go further, that you could provide this for a broader range of conditions, but when you are in my position, I think it is important to follow the medical evidence.
What I would like to do is set up the access programme, be able to do something we have never been able to do in this country before and track the progress. This is not a formal clinical trial but in many ways, it will have similar benefits where at the end of a period of time we will be able to see what X hundred people or X thousand people in Ireland used medicinal cannabis, here is the outcome, so what have we learned in terms of potential benefit of cannabis for certain conditions.
I think that could be quite exciting because at the moment this is quite a new area, an area where a lot of people have views on cannabis medicinal and otherwise but there isn’t a huge amount of evidence that has been gathered. I know that is what is certainly happening in Denmark, they are signing up and their progress, their health journey is being recorded so we actually have a well of information at the end.

The scheme has been delayed for over two years due to the government’s difficulty finding a quality assured supplier for the medicinal products. 

Once the legislation is published, certain cannabis-based products may be imported for supply through the scheme.

Cultivation of cannabis

The Department of Health said in a statement to TheJournal.ie that its policy to date has not permitted the cultivation in Ireland of cannabis for medical purposes and no licences have been issued for this activity.

However recent developments on access to cannabis for medical use, in particular the Health Products Regulatory Authority’s (HPRA) report, Cannabis for Medical Use – A Scientific Review, may prompt a review of this position in the future, it stated. 

The HPRA has updated its guidance document to provide new information on how applications should be made under the new legislation and details how to apply to import, distribute and supply cannabis products. 

In this week’s episode of The Explainer podcast, TheJournal.ie takes a look at whether Ireland could grow its own medicinal cannabis.

https://www.thejournal.ie/simon-harris-2-4618920-May2019/

12 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

watmm used to be different, who member?

On 5/6/2019 at 3:41 AM, prdctvsm said:

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

quoting yourself is like liking your own posts on facebook

"Be the Light that radiates unconditional Love, Forgive, Heal and have Fun" - Tim_J

:^)

For the Past month

I've been going into every starbucks

I see in Ireland

never to consume

but to ask

about the new ____

since 1987

dontforgetmysongimastar.thumb.png.7bb2902b84c20320d70e3e257ee0ddfc.png

no employees

have ever seen this

no customers

have ever seen this

I

have never seen this:)

Have You

ever seen this?

On Monday

I Heard

the siren made an apperance on

GOT

starbucksgotgtfo.jpg.744da53fb7a7bd24ac04e6d091d72309.jpg

Tabby Remembers:)

givethiscatastar!!!.jpg.ffd5b196d6bbb5798e7589e3cc59caa7.jpg

Awww, Cheer Up

Give this cat a star!!!

7 hours ago, diatoms said:

For the Past month

I've been going into every starbucks

I see in Ireland

never to consume

but to ask

about the new ____

since 1987

dontforgetmysongimastar.thumb.png.7bb2902b84c20320d70e3e257ee0ddfc.png

no employees

have ever seen this

no customers

have ever seen this

I

have never seen this:)

Have You

ever seen this?

On Monday

I Heard

the siren made an apperance on

GOT

starbucksgotgtfo.jpg.744da53fb7a7bd24ac04e6d091d72309.jpg

Tabby Remembers:)

givethiscatastar!!!.jpg.ffd5b196d6bbb5798e7589e3cc59caa7.jpg

Awww, Cheer Up

Give this cat a star!!!

58 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

It's like you don't understand that brands change their logos/designs for marketing purposes:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/new-economy/2011/0106/Starbucks-logo-change-No-name.-More-mermaid.-Will-it-sell-more-coffee

I'm talking about the HUGE STAR on the crown

It's been there since 1987?

Not a Five Point crown that

I

and

Every single person I've asked

Remember

https://i.redd.it/fr4j4467zn421.jpg nathanielhebert

https://old.reddit.com/r/Retconned/comments/a6q6ng/starbucks_logo_with_or_without_star_crown/

Anyone who is reading this right now

go into any starbucks

in any country

and pick up a cup and ask an employee

where did the Star come from?

Ask a couple of customers

Ask yourself

where did this Star come from?

11 hours ago, diatoms said:

I

and

Remember

https://old.reddit.com/r/Retconned/comments/a6q6ng/starbucks_logo_with_or_without_star_crown/

go into any starbucks

in any country

Ask yourself

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

dunno about where the star came from

but we, ourselves,

came from the star,

so,

there u go...

?

Be the Light that radiates unconditional Love, Forgive, Heal and have Fun

:^)

Tim_J:)

3 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Haha, that was Awesome:)

On 5/9/2019 at 4:46 PM, chenGOD said:

It's like you don't understand that brands change their logos/designs for marketing purposes:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/new-economy/2011/0106/Starbucks-logo-change-No-name.-More-mermaid.-Will-it-sell-more-coffee

On 5/9/2019 at 5:56 PM, diatoms said:

I

and

Remember

go into any starbucks

in any country

Ask yourself

chenGOD

Do You Remember the Star on the crown of the siren?

7 hours ago, diatoms said:

chenGOD

Do You Remember the Star on the crown of the siren?

4 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Always a star. 

Wow

chenGOD

You're the First person

to see a

Star

on the starbucks siren's crown

out of the hundreds of people

that I've talked to so far

but I'm heading to Dublin in a couple of hours

to see if anyone else Remembers

the Star

or the old public clocks

with IV

and upright

V, VI, VII, VIII:)

rustic_vintage_roman_numeral_clock_face-r7d2bde071ef8447dabed23d7e3f43159_fup13_8byvr_540.jpg.a9430612b2d685d0b4ca21a0a620a438.jpg