IGNORED

Free, open source ADPCM BRR encoding tool that some of you might be interested in.

Just found this a minute ago. If there's a thread where this would have belonged I couldn't find it.  Seems like a nice thing to have for preprocessing samples to give them that distinctive SNES/Super Famicom crunchiness.

https://github.com/Optiroc/BRRtools

I haven't tried it yet because I don't have a compiler installed right now, but if it works at all it's a good tool. 

This SNES tracker seems to have never materialized, but the video has a good explanation of what the BRR encoding does to samples, with plenty of waveform images.

There's more to the SNES sound than just the BRR encoding obviously, but it's one more way to make samples sound different.

That definitely looks like a cool VSTi, not really for the same things I'd use BRRtools for (preprocessing samples before loading them into hardware, not necessarily trying to emulate an SNES sound at all just dirtying things up in a different way than usual) but definitely cool, I'll give it a spin sometime.

Now if only I could find a software ATRAC 1 (the original generation of Minidisc lossy compression) codec.  I kind of love the sound of early Minidisc compression. There have been a couple over the years but they're all either gone or use later, "better" versions that don't have that sound.

(The second half of that was mostly a joke, that probably wasn't really clear - although I really do like the way minidisc sounds, that part was serious).

Also since it's too late to edit the last  post, clarifying what makes the thing I posted more interesting to me is that it would be easy to batch process a lot of samples with it.

This SNES tracker seems to have never materialized, but the video has a good explanation of what the BRR encoding does to samples, with plenty of waveform images.

One of my friends is working on a SNES tracker, but he takes on a million projects at a time, so it may take a little while. 

Hopefully he finishes it, it sounds fkn awesome

One of my friends is working on a SNES tracker, but he takes on a million projects at a time, so it may take a little while. 

Hopefully he finishes it, it sounds fkn awesome

Oh cool, I was looking at that this morning before work actually, it looks good but the newest stuff I saw was from 2014 so I figured it had been dropped, I hope he finishes it!

Archived