IGNORED

The future of music

Burlesquebass

Where do you guys think the future of music will be? I've started hearing granular sampling techniques in most of the new stuff I listen to. Do you think the amount of people using max/puredata/reaktor/supercollider etc. etc. is effecting the way we approach sound design?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm but sound design is an essential part of electronic music

where it is going? I have no clue, but there will probably be a wider range of musical styles and more individualized music (music making tools become easier and easier to use)

there will be a lot of AI music

Guest Chesney

i'm hoping people abandon the ideas of new genre = individuality = hype = fame.

So, people will be more natural and free about the music they make and not worry about clashing ideas or using whatever they feel the music feels and let it flow without limits.

This way music can stretch and break out of these little boxes that people create for personal kudos.

Soundwise, I hope people start to think about all the sounds they use and not copy for the reasons above and ease. 

i'm hoping people abandon the ideas of new genre = individuality = hype = fame.

So, people will be more natural and free about the music they make and not worry about clashing ideas or using whatever they feel the music feels and let it flow without limits.

This way music can stretch and break out of these little boxes that people create for personal kudos.

Soundwise, I hope people start to think about all the sounds they use and not copy for the reasons above and ease. 

yeah new genres are fine but only when somebody does a weird ass song and still consider it 'genre' when everyone else is naming it such and such and the person who made the song is like 'whatever'

like indian guy who invented acid house 5 years earlier

Or maybe there will be a device that measures your brain streams and calculates which sound will have the most pleasant effect on you and composes it live for you. So everybody has a constant stream of sound this device thinks is best for you and you can tell it: "I want to feel euphoric" and it produces euphorizing music, or you say "I want to experience a musical adventure" and it produces hard to predict music. All live and all in constant consultation with your brain activity

Or maybe there will be a device that measures your brain streams and calculates which sound will have the most pleasant effect on you and composes it live for you. So everybody has a constant stream of sound this device thinks is best for you and you can tell it: "I want to feel euphoric" and it produces euphorizing music, or you say "I want to experience a musical adventure" and it produces hard to predict music. All live and all in constant consultation with your brain activity

I can't help but imagine if it kept changing to suit what it thought I wanted, I'd be like NO!! I want to hear what YOU feel

But it could also change that way. If you want to hear what you don't want to hear you'll be able to that. And if you want it to express what you feel and show it to somebody it could do it. And if someone would let it translate their feelings in music and transmit it to you it'll be able to do that.

So it will complement communication

Wow this actually really took off. Yeah, I mean, I definitely agree on the ai music. I think generative music will keep growing and becoming more of a thing in our daily lives. And like... I brought up sound design, cause sometimes new sound design techniques spawn new directions to composition. I.e with smaller synthesisers and electronic music. Before portable synths electronic music was all niche and experimental with a couple exceptions.

Some interesting things in AI music in the future might be: resurrection of the voices of dead singers. Bots that crawl the web, sample snippets of audio from everywhere and then recombine it to make microsampling-style music. Style transfer and pattern enhancement with deep learning neural networks applied to audio. DAWs with an AI component that suggests the user ideas about what to do. Loads of user accounts on the internet that keep uploading new music and nobody can tell if the author is a human or a bot. Evolving bots that create music, while learning from the internet: these bots could drift around on the internet for years without human guidance, so they might end up producing completely weird or alien music. New version of Microsoft Songsmith powered by Skynet. Improved algorithms to isolate separate parts from a mixdown, and improved audio to MIDI conversion, which would enable to get automated music theory analysis for any mp3. "Decompilers" for electronic music: software that can read an mp3 and produce good approximations of all its notes and instrument timbres in a format that is editable by the user. Because of bots producing music, the market for digital music will be even more oversaturated than now.

Some interesting things in AI music in the future might be: resurrection of the voices of dead singers. Bots that crawl the web, sample snippets of audio from everywhere and then recombine it to make microsampling-style music. Style transfer and pattern enhancement with deep learning neural networks applied to audio. DAWs with an AI component that suggests the user ideas about what to do. Loads of user accounts on the internet that keep uploading new music and nobody can tell if the author is a human or a bot. Evolving bots that create music, while learning from the internet: these bots could drift around on the internet for years without human guidance, so they might end up producing completely weird or alien music. New version of Microsoft Songsmith powered by Skynet. Improved algorithms to isolate separate parts from a mixdown, and improved audio to MIDI conversion, which would enable to get automated music theory analysis for any mp3. "Decompilers" for electronic music: software that can read an mp3 and produce good approximations of all its notes and instrument timbres in a format that is editable by the user. Because of bots producing music, the market for digital music will be even more oversaturated than now.

the first few are horrible ideas i.e. ai zombie versions of famous singers but gets kinda interesting as it goes on. maybe jessica walrus is actually an ai. And Silke F

Edit: i think the DAW suggesting ideas what to do would fucking paralyze the musician as to what to do next

oblique strategies man

oblique strategies man

yeah come to think of it I would take your idea about computer generated suggestions, but then run it through some neural network crap that it's so abstracted from the original suggestion that it could mean anything to the person reading it

oblique strategies man

yeah come to think of it I would take your idea about computer generated suggestions, but then run it through some neural network crap that it's so abstracted from the original suggestion that it could mean anything to the person reading it

Yes, I guess changing it this way might improve it by making the output more unique

Where do you guys think the future of music will be? I've started hearing granular sampling techniques in most of the new stuff I listen to. Do you think the amount of people using max/puredata/reaktor/supercollider etc. etc. is effecting the way we approach sound design?

Granular anything in electronic music hasn't changed much conceptually since the early 2000's yo...  Or has it?!?!?!

I think pretty-phuture electronic music is surround music- which has been explored a bit with 5.1/7.1- but most people don't have the setups to listen to it properly.  That's a problem for getting more surround electronic releases.  For super surround, imagine 4/4 house with the bass kick swirling around you and the high hats shuffling above your head.  Then the strings come in from far back left with the lead coming in from under you.  Then as you dance around, you move within this sonic soundstage as the bassline rips through your anus.  It's basically audio VR.

An easy hack to this is binaural recording or binaural type processing to get massive 3d spaces virtualized in stereo, and this is still a relatively unexplored area in techno, drum n bass, and the like.  A lotta exploration has been done with field recording, though.

I think a mix of AI-generated music and dynamic performance/creation will become more prominent. As far as electronic music goes, the tools for synthesis and arranging songs will probably get easier and easier to use.

Check out these links.  

https://futurism.com/a-new-ai-can-write-music-as-well-as-a-human-composer/

can we ever talk about 'content' when we talk about music? i mean, so far that was almost imposibru on watmm. ON WATMM! this complete thread is about 'form' 

can we ever talk about 'content' when we talk about music? i mean, so far that was almost imposibru on watmm. ON WATMM! this complete thread is about 'form' 

Okay, let's assume that music mirrors the society in which it occurs. So how will society be in future? Looking back 100, 1000 and 5000 years it's clear that the world is a much more peaceful place now even if that might seem counterintuitive at first sight: There is less violence, more education, multiculturalism, the average lifespan is much bigger, thieves get fair lawsuits rather than their hands cut off, etc. .... So it would make sense that we will live in a more open-minded and intelligent society. Thus there will generally be a greater variety of music that's more more complex, sophisticated and artsy or for compensating the exact opposite: darker, more brutal, more minimalistic. I'm talking about form again, right? But it's not distinguishable: Form is content at least in the music I like.

Archived