IGNORED

Gorillaz - HUMANZ

Rubin Farr

Listened to the full stream, it comes off as more of some trap club compilation than a coherent album.  Maybe dial down the featured artists if they do another LP, Damon almost takes a back seat the entire time and just serves as producer.  I still love em though :)

Initial favorites:

Saturnz Barz - Will be totally overplayed on the radio, guaranteed

Charger - Oddly enough reminds me of NIN with the chords and the slow build and crawl

Busted and Blue - The ballad of the album, classic Gorillaz here

She's My Collar - This is probably the best track of the album.  It's so smooth it's jazz.  Background vocals, floaty synths...yes.  10/10

Damon almost takes a back seat the entire time and just serves as producer. 

I need to spend more time with the album, but on first listen through this was my biggest qualm. There seems to be a bit too many features and IMO initially feels less like a Gorillaz album than his previous works. 

I've never liked gorillaz, though I wilil give Demon Days another try in a few weeks, once I feel up to it.

Though hype has a way of drawing me in, even when I've never liked or heard of the artist. I think it happened to me for Bowie around Blackstar.

Demon Days is my least fav but others love it - I actually liked Plastic Beach a lot more in general, "Stylo" was catchy as hell and I found the other guests more interesting. Self-titled is a classic but it's very much a time-capsule as well, which is good and bad.

Well I'll be damned, I actually liked this quite a bit. Already want to repeat far more tracks that I expected to. It's a bloated album but pretty solid. Also thumbs up for that random fucking Carly Simon track. Does she guest on tracks often? (last time I heard her was in her Bob's Burgers cameo) If not that needs to happen more.

I don't understand the appeal of this album at all.  Sounds like a thrown together compilation of guest artists from every imaginable genre and the production even isn't very interesting.

I don't understand the appeal of this album at all.  Sounds like a thrown together compilation of guest artists from every imaginable genre and the production even isn't very interesting.

p much my feelings, as a whole the album just does nothing for me, oh well

Every Gorillaz album always felt different to me, which was great. Plastic Beach was the only one i didnt wholeheartedly love but there are some really good tunes on there. Im not saying they were completely re-defining their sound each time - but it was always a different world. The hip hop elements were sprinkled in and the rappers that did appear usually fit very well or even altered their usual style for the Gorillaz song.

I've noticed that rap is being pushed HARD by streaming services - and for some reason the over saturation of hiphop features on this feels like the same HARD PUSHING IN MY FACE.

Waaay too many features and some songs sound half finished in a way. I will spend more time with this but already a bit out

as some tweet said yesterday: "This is like a DJ Khaled album for the Tumblr crowd"

I don't know why but I love this album. It sounds like Gorillaz, production is definitely better than it was on Plastic Beach/The Fall, and the fact that songs flow that fast is imho a good thing.

I managed to buy tickets to see them live in Paris later this year and I'm already overly excited about that. Been a fan since I was a 6 years old kid and it never faded away, will be my first time attempting a Gorillaz gig and I can't wait !

• 1 month later...

Expected to hate this album, was only half wrong. There's some definite dookie on here. It's hard to just call it diluted, since Gorillaz stuff has always been collab-based, but ones like Let Me Out, Ascension, We Got The Power are just complete vomit and a far cry from what i'm used to with other albums (ignoring The Fall). I didn't even want to like this album (feels like new material from Gorillaz speaks more to my younger days), but there are too many winners that have been stuck in my head. Mostly these are Charger ("provacatif!"), Out Of Body (occult pop? Yes plz), Sex Murder Party (even with the regrettable title), and She's My Collar. Sinister and catchy, which is the type of Gorillaz i like

Did anyone see that performance stream from their festival? Dunno that i feel any certain way about it

Archived