IGNORED

Dollarstore Keyboard - I've been nostalgic since the day i was born

omnii

Hello! I spent the last year putting together this EP that i am very proud of. It was made with a Moog Sub 37, Korg MS-20, Microsampler, KaossPad, SQ-1, Volca's (beat/step/sample), Arturia Beatstep Pro, MPC 1000, bass, electric and acoustic guitars. Please let me know your thoughts if you have any. It can be heard on soundcloud, bandcamp, apple music, spotify and itunes. Thanks for your time!

https://soundcloud.com/dollarstore-keyboard/sets/ive-been-nostalgic-since-the

itun.es/us/gJBOib

http://dollarstorekeyboard.bandcamp.com/album/ive-been-nostalgic-since-the-day-i-was-born

• 4 months later...

Digging your stuff and checking it out on bandcamp...cuz I know they pay more $ to the artist than those other fools when I buy...the tracks I've heard so far are quite dope. I appreciate the versatility of your style, and I quite dig the melodies, beats, and the textures. Good mix of the feels.

Thanks so much to both of you! Your words and support are deeply appreciated. It means even more coming from talented people with good taste :)

• 4 weeks later...

First impressions: I love the title track, and the title fits perfectly. Track 1 makes a good introduction to the album, because the second part of the track adds melancholy to the warm nostalgia of the track, which leads into the rest of the tracks quite well. Gives a feeling that you're taking us down a rabbit hole with you... it gets quite strange, which I like. Bounce Haus and To the Limiter have this estranged, lurching funk. Much Arpeggiated is a nice break, and has this blissful 80s educational VHS feel to it. The transition to Flanger Danger is perfect, and the track is kind of similar to Spells, in that they seem like soundtrack pieces, but are fraught with tension and mixed emotions. Cult 45 is like an alternate dimension club banger, weird as an outro track, but I like it, and it works quite well if you loop back to track 1.

Overall, it's a really interesting and unconventional release. There is such an intense mixture of cheery and nostalgic emotions, with melancholy, or even dread, some things I can't quite put my finger on. Quite good, will listen again

Coming back to this after a few listens today, I think Flanger Danger is my favorite track. This EP definitely has good replay value.

Hi ganus! Thanks so much for reaching out! I loved reading your interpretation. It echo's exactly what i had in my mind when putting this together. It is incredibly satisfying to know that a narrative i was trying to weave with noises resonates with someone!

I thought Cult 45 was a strange outro too until i heard it loop back around to track 1 :) It is also part of why i kept it so short but still consider it an album.

You totally made my week!!!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I think encouraging the listener to loop back around at the end of an album/ep is a great way to get people to dig into the sound in a way one listen doesn't provide. I love that, and I like the way you did that. This album is in my mental canon now, I've been thinking about it and taking influence.

Looking forward to more from you. I wish folks would dig into the EKT forum more, there is gold here.

Listened to this on a walk this morning. 

First track is my favorite. It seems like the most cohesive of the bunch, and I liked everything about it. It constantly builds up and results in a great EP opener, reminds be a bit of BoC, but not in a reductive way.

2nd track I found kind of annoying. I think it could've been cut down a bit, or the drums could've changed a bit. I did like the intervalic melody runs. 

3rd track was very interesting. Love when the piano comes in. I feel like this one could even be expanded into a larger composition.  

4th track reminded me of a scene from Liquid Sky, therefore I love it. 

5. Cool arpy dreamy thing. Noice

6. I don't remember this one but I didnt feel like skipping it. Didn't feel like skipping anything except for track 2.

7. Awesome stuff, got me pumped up. I like it a lot. Another one that could be built into something larger, but it works as is as well. 

Hello Auditor, thanks very much for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts! It makes me happy to know that you brought my music on a walk with you. I'm glad you like most of it and also highly appreciate your candor. I just tried to investigate what an intervalic melody is. I still don't really understand what it means though! All this stuff comes from instinct and many years of learning by doing, my musical vocabulary is very limited. 

I had definitely never heard of Liquid Sky! From what i have seen so far it seems like a film that could have accompanied the first couple albums by The Knife. Looking forward to immersing myself in this.

Thanks for lending your ears!

Archived