IGNORED

Just got some nice gear

marf

Bought two Capybara 320's , Mainly to have 2 flame firewire boxes. Apparently can't be replaced. Built in obsolescence?

Got a 303 and 606. A rack mount mirage new in box, and an h910 eventide. needs fixing. Also got a Urei 565T filter. Ampex 620 tube speaker. (sounds great with the 303). Got a brand new unused aka m-8 reel to reel Class A tube machine. Never used.  Going to use it for echo. 

New MacBook Pro (lovely, fuck the haters.)

(I sold my house, shaved some off the top) Finally got some gear. The money goes fast. You make one choice and the other choice is gone. Almost bought a Studier mixer for 7k until the routing number didn't work. Thank god

it is a disparate bunch of stuff. Its the grand plan for a little studio. Some day. I want a synthi, though. thats 11k, right there. a mixer 5k, its insane. I was a poor boy for many years. Its burning a hole in my pocket, Had to get some 

Isamu Noguchi lamps.  Ill get it all together hopefully. Gonna try and use unconventional ways of recording, until then.

lol, ill take an sythacon, Marshall time mod and Ems gear, studer mixer. ahh. I need to win the lotto.

Getting lasik. Thats a good synth there but Ive been wanting it

Actual non-joke post this time:

If I were in your position I'd be seriously considering a Korg PS-3300, too.  A 70s semimodular with 3 oscillators per voice and true 48 voice polyphony is hard to argue with.

Im tapped out. I bought a nice tube amp and some speakers for personal audiophile curiosity. Im not aphex. 30k for a synth? Never. I can hardly stomach spending over 5k in one go. 

I got one of these pics 

2 dollars

also, got bracus berry piezo mic. 

Ive discovered led paper. We have paper that lights up now

Im tapped out. I bought a nice tube amp and some speakers for personal audiophile curiosity. Im not aphex. 30k for a synth? Never. I can hardly stomach spending over 5k in one go. 

Oh, when you were talking about getting a Synthi and a nice mixer I thought that was something that you were in the process of doing right now so I figured you had a big chunk of money to spend still, and I was having fun vicariously spending it!

Guest Chesney

God knows what i'd do if I fell into some big money. There is a seller/refurb guy pretty local that has some ridiculous gear but really overpriced on ebay. Might visit him and make some deals ha.

God knows what i'd do if I fell into some big money. There is a seller/refurb guy pretty local that has some ridiculous gear but really overpriced on ebay. Might visit him and make some deals ha.

I'd build a time machine, travel back to 1999 and buy that fully serviced Polymoog with footpedals that the local music store was trying and failing to unload for $900, back when I was still a kid with even less money than today, and just played a guitar.

Might also make a pit stop in the late 2000s to tell myself not to sell my Poly61m for $80 because my girlfriend convinced me it was taking up too much space.  Because we broke up a decade ago but I would still be playing that Poly61m.

The clone scene nowadays is really good if you are into old analogues. Still not cheap, but way more affordable than the vintage stuff. They don't appreciate in value, but you can usually still sell them for a profit.

Just off the top of my head things that have been cloned:

Ems vcs3

Buchla 200 and some 100 modules

Roland system 100m, system 700

Polyfusion

Oberheim obx

Arp 2600 (2500 modules should be available from amsynths later this year)

303 808 909

Romanf that cloned the buchla 200 stuff is getting near to finishing a diy cs80. Pcbs will be available for that sometime soon. It is time consuming building that stuff but you can nail the original sound if you choose the right components.

The clone scene nowadays is really good if you are into old analogues. Still not cheap, but way more affordable than the vintage stuff. They don't appreciate in value, but you can usually still sell them for a profit.

Just off the top of my head things that have been cloned:

Ems vcs3

Buchla 200 and some 100 modules

Roland system 100m, system 700

Polyfusion

Oberheim obx

Arp 2600 (2500 modules should be available from amsynths later this year)

303 808 909

Romanf that cloned the buchla 200 stuff is getting near to finishing a diy cs80. Pcbs will be available for that sometime soon. It is time consuming building that stuff but you can nail the original sound if you choose the right components.

Is there a current Arp 2600 clone kit available?  I missed that one from a few years ago by 8 months.

Missed the CrowBX board sets by a couple months, too.

Should be able to snag a CrowMinius board (loose minimoog model D clone) when I get paid next week, too, unless they sell out before then.

By "kit" I mean bare board set and/or front panel, It's a rare occasion that I can afford all the parts for something at one time, but I try to load up on bare PCBs when I can afford them, since they tend to disappear fast.  The actual build backlog is usually a year or two.

I figure the CrowBX will do another run, they seem pretty consistent.  I need to not forget to check regularly, it looks like since last time I checked I missed another that just shipped, figures.  I would have even had the money for it, this winter has been good for me as far as side jobs go.  Hopefully I'll have the money next time a batch of boards is available.

Yeah same. I haven't had much time past 2 years so I've just been stocking up on boards. managed to snag some nice ones, but yeah you gotta obsessively check for some of them so you don't miss them.

Now I'm trying to figure out a spreadsheet system so i can figure out all of the components i need for everything i have so i can get those bulk deals...

On second thought marf stay far away from this stuff

oh god, the early 90's were the gold mine for cheap analog

Even the early 2000s were still good. I remember how pissed off a friend of mine was because she'd had her second SH-101 fail onstage that year, and when she went looking for another on eBay she could only find the rarer colors, and those were over $300 for a fully serviced one with the bender handle and everything.  That was around 2004.

Guitars are even worse, though.  I was in middle school in the 90s and when I started playing I used to see 50s and early 60s strats for under $2000 (still a fortune to a kid of course, and honestly about the most I'd pay for one even now based on quality - old strats are fine but they're nothing special, just no frills, mass produced workhorses that sound decent, play decent, are hard to break and weren't too expensive) pretty regularly.  Last one I saw in a shop, around 2012, was a beat to hell '61 and the price was $30,000.

Yeah same. I haven't had much time past 2 years so I've just been stocking up on boards. managed to snag some nice ones, but yeah you gotta obsessively check for some of them so you don't miss them.

Now I'm trying to figure out a spreadsheet system so i can figure out all of the components i need for everything i have so i can get those bulk deals...

On second thought marf stay far away from this stuff

Off the top of my head I'm still sitting on individual boards for 3/4 of the voices in a 909, a Thomas Henry Megapercussive Synthesizer, a Roland Dimension D, a Klee Sequencer, a Univibe clone (with an LED instead of a 12v incandescent lamp) with a matched set of photocells, all the voices of a Boss DR-55, and some random utility modules like voltage quantizers and midi to trigger and stuff, plus a half finished Midibox SEQ that I never seem to have the money to get all the encoders for (did finally have a panel made a few months ago, though).  Most of them are less than 3 years old, but I've probably had that Univibe board sitting around for a decade, it's pathetic. And rather than getting the parts to start building them, I'm thinking about nabbing the boards and rare parts for a Neve buss compressor clone that I'll probably sit on for ages before I get all of the stuff together to make it.

DerWaschbar is right, Marf, stay away!  God help me if I ever get in to eurorack, or get a better paying job/bigger apartment.

I guess the bright side is that, until you build them, these things don't take up much space.  All that stuff fits in two small boxes about the size of 4u rack panels and maybe 1" deep each.

Archived