IGNORED

Doomsday Clock - My first video game!

flim

Hello. I have been sort of missing in action from WATMM for the past few months, mainly because I've been so focused on a project, and now I would like to share it with you.

I made a video game. This was originally my final project for my Master's degree. I really enjoyed the process of making it and I had a lot of ideas, so I kept working on it. Now, I think it's in a form where others can play it and enjoy it.

It's called Doomsday Clock, and it is my very first video game. It is a 2D action-adventure hack 'n' slasher that takes inspiration from the 8- and 16-bit games that I played growing up in the 1990s, such as Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Mega Man X, and Skyblazer. All the artwork, sounds, music, story, programming, and visual effects were created by me. This game is a labor of love that I have vastly enjoyed creating and hope to be able to improve and expand upon it.

I want your feedback! Please tell me what you think about the game. If you find any bugs or issues, or just have some suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Please understand that I'm still very much a beginner at game development and am still learning. There are some things that are visibly wrong (such as the tiling for the floors), so please don't mention them, but I would really appreciate it if you would act as a tester and look for and point out problems regarding the gameplay. I welcome constructive criticism as well.

Please give the game a try! It's not long, but I think it's fun. It's a 70 MB download. There was a version that could be played in your browser, but it had some issues, so I'll keep working on that. In the meantime, let me know what you think, and pass it along to anyone you think would enjoy my game!

I have made it part of my portfolio, which you can find here: http://ninjajamesroberts.com/jwade/portfolio/

Oh, also, I made a little trailer for it:

Thank you!

i'm not really much into videogames anymore but i just wanted to say big up Skyblazer

Skyblazer is one of my very favorite games. I still can't figure out why no one played it. It was a great game, so I wanted to capture some of its spirit in my game. I honestly thought about making my own sequel to it. Maybe I will one day....

i'm not really much into videogames anymore but i just wanted to say big up Skyblazer

Skyblazer is one of my very favorite games. I still can't figure out why no one played it. It was a great game, so I wanted to capture some of its spirit in my game. I honestly thought about making my own sequel to it. Maybe I will one day....

i remember it has some kind of hindu(???)-type mythology going on and maybe that sort of thing can seem really strange or offputting as a kid? Cause schools are 99% worthless crap where world religion is like a blurb of 3 sentences

i remember it has some kind of hindu(???)-type mythology going on and maybe that sort of thing can seem really strange or offputting as a kid? Cause schools are 99% worthless crap where world religion is like a blurb of 3 sentences

Yes, it was very big on that Hindu-inspired mythology and atmosphere. It had a lot of sitars in the soundtrack and everything. It was definitely unique and it kept me interested the whole time. I took some of that Hindu and Buddhist imagery and tried to mix it in with American religion and cultist behavior. I'm not sure if that comes through, but it's definitely in there.

I'm not on PC at the moment, but I watched the trailer.  Looks like it could be pretty fun (like the double jump and attack style).  Congrats on doing everything!!!  That's a huge fucking task, mang...  Kudos on seeing it through to a playable version.

I'm not on PC at the moment, but I watched the trailer.  Looks like it could be pretty fun (like the double jump and attack style).  Congrats on doing everything!!!  That's a huge fucking task, mang...  Kudos on seeing it through to a playable version.

Thanks, man. I worked really hard on it. I know it could be better and I still have so many ideas, but that's the point of putting it out there for people to check it out. I would like to get a team to help me improve it and make it into a full game. Hopefully one day in the not-too-distant future.

Anyone try the game out yet?

Wow! Huge props for all your hard work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly commendable to actually finish it! Wish I could play it, but I use a Mac.

Thank you very much!

There is a way to export to Mac, but it didn't work for me when I tried it. I'll look into it again.

Yah, if you compile to a Mac app, I'll definitely check it out.  I grew up on Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Castlevania, Strider, Shinobi, etc., so I'm looking forward to it!

Archived