IGNORED

Slowdive - Slowdive

Rubin Farr

heard this tune on bbc 6 this week and last (drifting in and out of the background, doing as the radio does) and didn't realise it was Slowdive, very good news indeed

I've seen some die-hard Slowdive fans get turned off by the new material, but I have to admit, I like what I've heard so far. Nothing spectacular but still some lovely stuff going on. I've had Star Roving on my iPod for a couple of months and it often gets rinsed on the ol' commutes!

I had a ticket to see em in Bristol tomorrow, but sadly I couldn't make it so I had to sell up. At least I'll catch them at Field Day to make up for it.

I've seen some die-hard Slowdive fans get turned off by the new material, but I have to admit, I like what I've heard so far. 

TBH it's a bit more sleepy and mellow than stuff that usually grabs my attention or hits me in the feels but that's totally a-ok with me. I'm glad they aren't just re-hashing their "hit you in the feels" wall of pretty sounds stuff nor trying to redo their more electronic/ambient stuff. It sounds mature and honest and not far off from their solo projects as well as Mojave 3 stuff (though I only know the first album off hand).

I can't imagine the pressures and second guessing that comes with being a band with such a legacy and fanbase that has inspired and informed so much music, including a lot of stuff now. This doesn't sound like they are trying to fit in with popular stuff now nor dial in their trademark sound.

I've seen some die-hard Slowdive fans get turned off by the new material, but I have to admit, I like what I've heard so far. 

TBH it's a bit more sleepy and mellow than stuff that usually grabs my attention or hits me in the feels but that's totally a-ok with me. I'm glad they aren't just re-hashing their "hit you in the feels" wall of pretty sounds stuff nor trying to redo their more electronic/ambient stuff. It sounds mature and honest and not far off from their solo projects as well as Mojave 3 stuff (though I only know the first album off hand).

I can't imagine the pressures and second guessing that comes with being a band with such a legacy and fanbase that has inspired and informed so much music, including a lot of stuff now. This doesn't sound like they are trying to fit in with popular stuff now nor dial in their trademark sound.

They sound like Slowdive should after 22 years, which is fine by me.

• 4 weeks later...

not a bad album, a pleasant wash of light shoegaze/dream pop, not too memorable though. but i kinda felt like that about beach house's depression cherry which grew on me a lot after subsequent listens. i liked "everyone knows" the most, it's got a similar wistful, summery and  optimistic vibe to "when the sun hits", but it's more propulsive and unrelenting, very lovely vocals.

the last song is shit though. it's just extremely gay, juvenile and sappy, kinda like radiohead's true love waits stretched to 8 minutes.

Edited by eugene

the last song is shit though. it's just extremely gay, juvenile and sappy, kinda like radiohead's true love waits stretched to 8 minutes.

sounds a lot like daydreaming to me

i listened to this today and it was just there, i didn't even notice when it ended. feelin a 5.6 from the old p4k.

Edited by keanu reeves

Im enjoying this record as a fan of Slowdive and as a curious observer to how long-dormant bands approach comeback records. Theyve retained the combo of acoustic guitar and shimmery-reverb-delayed electric guitar which was stolen and ruined by the likes of Coldplay sometime in the late 90s, but the gated percussion and soft focus synth sounds quite contemporary. Its quite strange to hear Slowdive produced like Blonde Rehead or Grizzly Bear but i got used to it quickly. and there is a return to the poppy hooks which was absent for much of their final record and solo stuff.  Hope to catch these guys at Field Day if they don't clash with anyone else Im interested in seeing.

Im enjoying this record as a fan of Slowdive and as a curious observer to how long-dormant bands approach comeback records. Theyve retained the combo of acoustic guitar and shimmery-reverb-delayed electric guitar which was stolen and ruined by the likes of Coldplay sometime in the late 90s, but the gated percussion and soft focus synth sounds quite contemporary. Its quite strange to hear Slowdive produced like Blonde Rehead or Grizzly Bear but i got used to it quickly. 

Interesting observation, I hadn't thought about it (and I'm not as well versed in production/mixing methods) but it makes sense. I thought this album had a more "dream pop" sound to it but I didn't realize it might have to do with the sound of it production wise and not so much the songs themselves composition wise.

Just heard another track on the radio, I think it could be No Longer Making Time​, sounded fantastic!!

That's three magic tunes in a row :cool: 

Edited by beerwolf

Independent Label Market got a ltd. numbered 12" today of the "Sugar For the Pill" remixes (edition of twenty !?)

"Sold only at the Independent Label Market evening in Greenwich Market. Comes with a signed print, exclusive stickers and are hand-numbered and hand-packed."

https://www.discogs.com/Slowdive-Sugar-For-the-Pill-Avalon-Emersons-Gilded-Escalation/release/10247580