IGNORED

Slowdive - Slowdive

Rubin Farr

A rather wonderful album, what's a bit odd is I did some investigation into their back catalogue and wasn't interested at all, and for me ticked all the boxes of the reasons why some critics back-in-the-day really disliked this band. Definitely not for me.

This album seems to be peculiar as I think its pretty great. Last track was a bit of a let down though (looking at the running time I was expecting something more epic)

Edited by beerwolf

A rather wonderful album, what's a bit odd is I did some investigation into their back catalogue and wasn't interested at all, and for me ticked all the boxes of the reasons why some critics back-in-the-day really disliked this band. Definitely not for me.

This album seems to be peculiar as I think its pretty great. Last track was a bit of a let down though (looking at the running time I was expecting something more epic)

lol what

Listened to the album for a second time yesterday on a Megabus journey with the sunshine beaming through. Definitely clicked for me. Go Get It is superb!

I'm still not big on the first and last tracks though. Falling Ashes is ok- I just think it outstays its welcome by a few minutes, and I don't like Slomo at all.

A rather wonderful album, what's a bit odd is I did some investigation into their back catalogue and wasn't interested at all, and for me ticked all the boxes of the reasons why some critics back-in-the-day really disliked this band. Definitely not for me.

This album seems to be peculiar as I think its pretty great. Last track was a bit of a let down though (looking at the running time I was expecting something more epic)

lol what

lol I haven't got a clue either

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I hate Slowdive more than I hate Hitler.

Lol what.

Reference to this, the cherry on top of bad press from NME and Melody Maker when Souvlaki came out. That coupled with a tour delay and their label half-assing promo basically sunk the band's prospects which is why they called it quits in the 90s after Pygmalion came out. Creation dropped them a week later so they signed to 4AD and formed Mojave 3.

Edited by joshuatx

• 3 years later...

this album is growing on me. at first i thought it sounded too easy. but that's changing

lol, so basically what jellyrajah said, but it took me 3 more years

some tunes on these are pretty shit still compared to what they made in the 90s. even their b sides always fucking rocked

Edited by Berk

they have a great sense for melody (or Neil whatever), but some tunes sound lazy. like they didn't put in the more cerebral songwriting work like they used to do.

btw their drummer makes some ambient tunes solo. they sound a lot like slowdive too, really good

Edited by Berk

8 minutes ago, Berk said:

this album is growing on me. at first i thought it sounded too easy. but that's changing

lol, so basically what jellyrajah said, but it took me 3 more years

some tunes on these are pretty shit still compared to what they made in the 90s. even their b sides always fucking rocked

Fair opinion, I love the self titled album just as much as the 90s stuff but I can see where you're coming from. I believe Slowdive are working on a 5th album as we speak!

• Like 2

That's funny, I finally bought this on cd about a month ago.

I saw them live a couple of times on the reunion tour leading up to this record, and they were awesome. But somehow I never got into this album, not that I didn't think it was good right away, more like it came at the wrong time for me or something.