IGNORED

nicest headphones with £1000 as a budget?

pcock

so, im starting to feel deprived, ive got my super nice genelec monitors that i can barely fucking use cos my neighbours seem to take issue with constant pounding kickdrums eminating from my room for hours on end, so im currently using headphones alot to make music with. 

anyone got any experience with serious badboys? my local dealer doesnt have any cans above 400 quid, so i cant actually go and try them out for myself, but i want something absolutely sensual. 

sennhsier hd800's? focal elear? grados?

i dont mind too much about monitoring accuracy, i really just want to sit and have everything sound amazing, and easy on the ear, and comfortable.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fostex TH-900's.   I have a pair and they are amazing.   Beautiful bass and fairly balanced and also fairly exciting.  Alot better than the Sennheiser HD800s I also had.  The  Senn's sounded perfect but somewhat detached and distant and therefore less involving.  I've been making tunes on the Fostex for over 2 years now.   They also have a soundstage almost on a par with the 800's.

If you're planning on mixing with headphones a lot, you might want to check out an in-ear monitoring solution instead of sweaty closed can's, possibly causing ear infections. 

why? if im spending 5 hours a day listening to music on headphones, why would buying excellent ones be a bad idea. and i have loads of money for whatever i want because i have a 25 grand a year job in a city with living costs of 5000 a year, no kids, and no real debt. 

i was going to go for open design though. i can still use my audio technicas when im out and about, these would purely be for home, and ive never actually tried open design, but are they not a lot easier on the ears. i like my audio technica, but after about an hour of bass my ears get quite tired. i think im going to have to go further afield and find somewhere i can actually try stuff. 

although ive just realised richer sounds stock these type of headphones, albeit pretty expensive. 

Just get some AKG 702s then spend the rest of the grand on a fucking wild night out. Just imagine the filth you'd be able to get up to with that sort of money.

You'll then have a pair of absolutely ace headphones that you can enjoy for years and have the memory of a night so crazy you'll never forget (or think was actually real)

They're nice, but my pair of Grados got woodworm after I didn't use them for a couple of months and left them in a wardrobe.  Wasn't covered by warranty either.  

yeah, i had my decade of insane partying, i more enjoy spending my money on top quality food, eurorack modules, and slowly building a mastering output rig. if i can get some absolutely beautiful headphones with 3 weeks wages, thats me happy. 

They're nice, but my pair of Grados got woodworm after I didn't use them for a couple of months and left them in a wardrobe.  Wasn't covered by warranty either.

daymmmnn - I'd always seen them as like the end-game headphones, like the top of the top end. So surprised they're not coated in some of lacquer or made of some wood that was resilient against that sort of thing.

messiaen - Makes sense, despite the price I think I'd still go with the AKG range, maybe the Q701 or K712 if you can get hold of them. That combined with a decent headphone-amp (of which I know nothing about that sort of thing!) will still be quite shy of a grand but your ears will definitely be in for a treat

ive not actually returned to AKG since a model i had that set me back around 150 maybe 6-7 years ago? i didnt get along with them though. they were very flat response, probably ideal for mastering, but im really just looking for lush now, so i can create comfortably with headphones, i do most of my jamming at night. and then just head to the studio occasionally for an acoustically treated room/mastering/mixdown purposes. 

im hoping my motu 828mk3 will be good enough as an amplifier. i had a little foray into the world of headphone amps and it looks like it would be another grand on top of the headphones. 

no, you can pick them up for around a 1000 in the uk. i saw some for 1100, im excited to try them. unless im not looking at the S model. 

Depends on the music you would like to listen to. If you get right down to it really depends on your personal taste since sound is so subjective. You should check to see if there is a Hi-Fi store near you.

Within that price range I would personally recommend the Fostex TH-900 if you want a very fun set of cans with a quite a bit of low end extension while maintaining a great deal of detail, but if you're the type who likes clinical cans you really couldn't do better than the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros or the Sony MDR-7520s. The preservation of the acoustics of the recording is fantastic. Personally, I think that they sound better than cans twice or even 3 times the price.

One word of warning if you are someone who wears glasses, to get the most out of the HD 280s you're going to have to take them off to get the best sonic experience, they are dependent on a perfect seal around your head.

genelec m040. i can turn them on occasionally but i piss off pretty much anyone in a 40 foot radius from my room. 

those speakers are arround 1500 euros a pair so spending that much of money on headphones would be same as spending 15k of euros on speakers, imo

its an interesting sentiment from some people that i shouldnt spend a few weeks wages on nice headphones, on a forum full of people who adore and create interesting electronic music. 

i dont follow your logic that £1000 headphones are the equivilant of £10,000 monitors.

i did get a few new brands i wouldnt have thought to check though, the fostex look interesting. ive never tried a set of beyerdynamic headphones either. 

its an interesting sentiment from some people that i shouldnt spend a few weeks wages on nice headphones, on a forum full of people who adore and create interesting electronic music. 

i dont follow your logic that £1000 headphones are the equivilant of £10,000 monitors.

no, no... spend if you have. i'm totally ok with that cause 1. it's your money and 2. it's great to have 1k pounds headphones

my logic is just that high end phones cost 1k of pounds and high end speakers cost 10k of pounds. quality match, nothing else.

Archived