IGNORED

teenage engineering op-z

juiceciuj

been having tons of fun with it in the car and in bed before sleep (much like the op1). missus has been fond of everything i've done when i plug it up to the car aux (or at least says she is). 

Love it so far. Step components can take it into crazy generative territory. The synth engines are oddly basic, but I'm gonna start chucking my own samples on it soon so that shouldn't matter too much. Plus it seems possible to use the punch-in effects and tape manipulation to affect the sound in ways that aren't a total "glitch" cliche, which was surprising. I just wish it had a filter envelope!

The synth engines are oddly basic

Yeah this, but I remember reading/hearing somewhere that they would add more engines with future firmware updates ?

I'm currently trying to add polyrhythm to my productions, it just so easy with this unit haha. Really makes me want to jam at all time.

I haven't even tried yet. I'm waiting on a USB-C to USB-A adaptor (the hub I use on my recent mbp whines when I plug it into the OP-Z; didn't want to risk something going wrong so I ordered a smaller one) and then I'll try using it with the nanoloop sync adaptor, and/or maybe my USB-MIDI interface. I think it'd pair nicely with my Elektron and/or Nord gear.

Edited by modey

The synth engines are oddly basic

Yeah this, but I remember reading/hearing somewhere that they would add more engines with future firmware updates ?

I'm currently trying to add polyrhythm to my productions, it just so easy with this unit haha. Really makes me want to jam at all time.

i'm assuming through app integration that there will be synth/sample packs that can be purchased and loaded.

Hey ...

How are you guys finding integrating this with other pieces of kit ? I do like it and I travel a lot for work so something like this would be neat , but , ... I wouldn't want to make tracks solely with this (without using it obv hard to say) ...

i just got a usb-c - mini-usb cable yesterday so looking to at least hookit up with the op1 and see what i can get. hopefully moving my whole studio in the next week or so

Loving this thing so far. I'll chuck some recordings/videos online soon. Had a long train ride yesterday and managed to build up some nice early-2000s IDM on it. The master transpose feature is unexpectedly powerful, and provides some unpredictably awesome results, especially if you program a chord progression into your pattern and then try to riff off it by transposing it. Coupled with step components and being able to *sequence* the transpositions, I can imagine it'd be easy to get into some crazy semi-generative music. I'm imagining some of my videos could just be "meditations" where I don't actually do much apart from just letting the sequence play.

Loving this thing so far. I'll chuck some recordings/videos online soon. Had a long train ride yesterday and managed to build up some nice early-2000s IDM on it. The master transpose feature is unexpectedly powerful, and provides some unpredictably awesome results, especially if you program a chord progression into your pattern and then try to riff off it by transposing it. Coupled with step components and being able to *sequence* the transpositions, I can imagine it'd be easy to get into some crazy semi-generative music. I'm imagining some of my videos could just be "meditations" where I don't actually do much apart from just letting the sequence play.

Yeah this master track transposition thing is awesome, but I don't think you can input step components to the master track. In fact, I don't think it's possible beside the 8 first tracks - which is sad really because yeah it would take the sequencer into really crazy territories.

Hey ...

How are you guys finding integrating this with other pieces of kit ? I do like it and I travel a lot for work so something like this would be neat , but , ... I wouldn't want to make tracks solely with this (without using it obv hard to say) ...

It might not be a satisfying answer to your question, but I finally tried to hook the OP-Z to my computer and make it work with Reaktor. It works great, I just used a little turnaround to use step components (midi data were coming from one of the synth tracks). Really makes me want to buy Reaktor and expand the possibilities of the synth engines.

I should receive a USB adapter tomorrow, I'll let you know how the OP-Z works with my hardware synths :)

I don't think you can input step components to the master track. 

Ah damn, yeah you're right (according to the guide; I didn't actually try it). Guess that's another feature request!

Re : OP-Z integration within a studio. Finally tried to control the MS20 with it and it works great.

The only problem is that I can only use the kick track to send MIDI to the MS20 but it's a specific issue with that particular synth.

I can't wait to jam with that setup. I'll just put kick samples on the sample track and voilà!!

I'm getting some nice weird sounds out of this. It's almost a complete cacophony at the moment though, because I'm trying to exploit all of the automation, and also figuring out what I *can't* do with it, such as automate the arpeggio speed, and a few other parameters. I did end up settling into a nice industrial tech beat today though, which may turn into something interesting. I love how certain tracks can be excluded from the tape track and master track, and that the tape track can be further sent to the effects tracks. I'm sure that'd have to open it up to the possibility of some interesting feedback happening..

At first, almost every time I play with it, my tracks just sound like early 00s Nautilis or something.. which is not by any means a bad thing, but it's just funny how I fall into that pretty much every time. It gets weird quickly though when applying odd-length tape / performance / master chord tracks though.

I've also encountered some bugs that are difficult to replicate. The most annoying one is that sometimes the buttons will double trigger, which means sometimes when trying to copy a trig, it instead just turns it off and on again super quickly, as well as some other things. It's often hard to tell what's happening because I don't see the LED under my finger.

• 5 weeks later...

Ended up picking up one of these stupid little fuckers. I love it so far. It's basically an elektron box that is super portable that has super limited synth engines but it doesn't really matter because you can add so much variety through sequencing. Parameter locks + step components/spark + sequence length settings + microtiming on polyphony (to make faux-longer than 16-step patterns), + master track sequencing/transposing + tape track sequencing + punch effects. Oh also you can make a tape-stop fx by using the tape track and messing with the little rubber pitch-bend pad. What else.... yeah there are just so many possibilities with this thing. I find it a little daunting to make your own chromatic sample sounds. Hope they add an engine for that. Hoping the midi add-on comes soon too, I don't want to mess with getting a USB hub but I will if I have to. Pattern chains and mute-groups add to the performance capabilities to this thing + the built in microphone and ability to use a headset microphone. Also hoping they add some way to sample into it... who knows, super stoked to see what updates we get from TE.

I've made my first sample pack for the OP-Z, consisting of some noisy textural stuff from a 0-Coast; raw textures for shaping with the filter/envelope/effects. It's $5 but there's a link to a free, cut-down pack as well. 

https://gumroad.com/l/eqxDw

I might have to buy some of your packs. :)

Re : OP-Z integration within a studio. Finally tried to control the MS20 with it and it works great.

The only problem is that I can only use the kick track to send MIDI to the MS20 but it's a specific issue with that particular synth.

I can't wait to jam with that setup. I'll just put kick samples on the sample track and voilà!!

My favorite sequencer for the MS-20 is the analog four

I've made my first sample pack for the OP-Z, consisting of some noisy textural stuff from a 0-Coast; raw textures for shaping with the filter/envelope/effects. It's $5 but there's a link to a free, cut-down pack as well. 

https://gumroad.com/l/eqxDw

I might have to buy some of your packs. :)

If you buy some, let me know if you use them in tracks. I'm keen to hear what other people make with my samples!

My aim is to release a new pack every 1–2 weeks. I had a bit of a break over the new year, but I'm working on a huge Nord Lead pack, with all kinds of sounds from standard (but unique) kicks/snares, to weird SOPHIE-esque bubble/liquid/material sounds, as well as a bunch of samples for the synth sampler. I may have to split it in two though, or price it *slightly* higher, as it's taking me some time to get it all together.

Made a meandering video showing some of my sample packs. Things went a bit industrial, and the last track is a bit Gescom-y, maybe? Anyway, I also changed the name of my channel..

I'm getting some nice weird sounds out of this. It's almost a complete cacophony at the moment though, because I'm trying to exploit all of the automation, and also figuring out what I *can't* do with it, such as automate the arpeggio speed, and a few other parameters. I did end up settling into a nice industrial tech beat today though, which may turn into something interesting. I love how certain tracks can be excluded from the tape track and master track, and that the tape track can be further sent to the effects tracks. I'm sure that'd have to open it up to the possibility of some interesting feedback happening..

At first, almost every time I play with it, my tracks just sound like early 00s Nautilis or something.. which is not by any means a bad thing, but it's just funny how I fall into that pretty much every time. It gets weird quickly though when applying odd-length tape / performance / master chord tracks though.

I've also encountered some bugs that are difficult to replicate. The most annoying one is that sometimes the buttons will double trigger, which means sometimes when trying to copy a trig, it instead just turns it off and on again super quickly, as well as some other things. It's often hard to tell what's happening because I don't see the LED under my finger.

I believe you can automate the arpeggiator speed. Or at least in the latest firmware it's possible. I've done it a bit already because it sounds rad (and the octatrack cannot do it so I'm making up for lost time).

Pretty cool how the microtiming in conjunction with quantization and longer step-lengths let you get into a better resolution than just the 16 steps. I almost LIKE the fact that it limits you to 16 steps because it forces you to get out of your comfort zone and think about adding variation in a different way. Step components, especially sparks, become super powerful in this regard.

Yeah, I'll have to look into it a bit more, now that I've settled with it a bit. I think I was trying to just press record+play and turn the speed encoder, but it appears that record mode is only for notes? Like, I have to actually *hold* record while adjusting the parameter?

the octatrack cannot do it

It can though! It's the only current Elektron box that allows arpeggiator parameter locks.

Yeah, I'll have to look into it a bit more, now that I've settled with it a bit. I think I was trying to just press record+play and turn the speed encoder, but it appears that record mode is only for notes? Like, I have to actually *hold* record while adjusting the parameter?

You can also hold the key corresponding to the step you'd like to edit and turn the encoders as you like. This + parameter spark step component really makes the OP-Z shine imo