IGNORED

teenage engineering op-z

juiceciuj

Well, they’re both groove boxes, and similarly priced.

I’m pretty familiar with both of them, but asking someone who has both, which do you think is more essential?

On 5/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, modey said:

The downsides though, are that there is no portamento (yet), no arpeggiator on the MIDI tracks (yet), and playing the same note twice cuts the previous one off instead of routing it to another available voice (most noticeable with long attack/release sounds). All three have been talked about on Elektronauts though, so I'm sure they'll be fixed at some point in the future.

They're both amazing machines though, and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

The second track in the performance video I posted earlier in this thread the Digitone thread relies on those glitches. I kind of don't want them to be fixed.

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a glitch, but when you change patterns, the settings on the delay will speed up or slow down to meet the settings in the next pattern. I really like it and hope they don't change it.

Edited by Braintree

Just saw they announced sampling with the op-z via a free software update, utilising the in-built mic or by plugging in a mic to headphone input...not out yet but coming soon

also said they may be bringing out a sampling add on module also

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The second hardware add-on has arrived, it's a silent metronome / "haptic subwoofer" called rumble (https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z/modules/rumble)

I guess it's cool to use when performing live but I find it way too gimmicky, I would have expected something more useful (to me ofc)

Also just an idea : would you be interested in an opz remix contest? Like somebody exports a track he did and then other opz owners remix it using just that unit?

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say. The sampling in the OP-Z is actually fucking awesome. For drum tracks it's basic loop chopping and for instrument it's basic loop start/end setting. Really opens up the instrument beyond the stock sounds, although I kind of love them, I made a dozen or so tracks with them. Just so fun and easy to bang out an idea and it usually sounds pretty decent

• 1 year later...

So I decided today that I could use my OP-Z after it spent the last few months gathering some dust, and I'm quite angry because the 4 encoders are popping out of their sockets... I need to manually push them back into the op-z when I turn them one way or another, and I guess that's really not something to do. The other buttons also don't click as they used to, even tho I really stored the unit with caution. So yeah I'm quite gutted, will probably end up reaching out to TE for some assistance ? 

On 10/12/2020 at 4:25 AM, custom knob said:

My encoders popped out and the battery no longer charges and it’s out of warranty so The build quality on the OP-Z kind of sucks

Oof really sucks to hear that, sorry for you ? wasn't expecting such a short life span for this unit...

Lil' warning to users - I just sold my OP-Z a couple days ago and hadn't been using it for months, though was storred away safely in its original box, when the buyer recieved it there was an issue with the battery not charging properly and apparently this happens quite a bit to them if the battery isn't actively being used often. The soloution was something along the lines of taking the battery out and connecting it with some wires to another battery source (you can find a proper description online if you ever need it)

just so you know!

• Thanks 1

It's a real shame because aesthetically the OP-Z is perfect. And the sequencer is ridiculously powerful. 

But the sequencer doesn't mean shit when double triggering buttons prevent any deep editing of trig parameters; no matter how hard I was holding those trig buttons down, about 50% of the time it'd quickly retrigger while I was holding it, removing all of the parameters I'd been setting up. I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been fixed yet; it's such a simple thing to do in software. 

And 32mb or whatever of sample space is a joke. 

23 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Yeah, at this point it seems safe to say that TE jumped the shark. The PO metal series was brilliant and it's all been downhill from there.

Well yeah. But hey they are really busy trying to market a 600+$ radio  :cisfor:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the crap out of mine for a few months until I somehow just suddenly got bored of it and stopped using it completely. It is cool though, I like the stuff I made on it. Might sell it now... Feel like my mind is in a totally other realm musically now. 

lol so now you can get STREET FIGHTER! and MEGAMAN! POs

I think they are the exact same hardware as some earlier models.

I was hoping they'd release something really cool and make me eat my words but nah. Just a paint job.

:mellow: