Sign in to follow this  
juiceciuj

teenage engineering op-z

Very different use cases for both imo. 

OP-Z's main advantage by far is the portability, for sure. The synthesis isn't deep at all, but it's one of those "greater than the sum of its parts" machines, where you can kinda blur things together, either in the tape track, or using the compressor/overdrive/send distortion. It has one of the best sequencers I've ever used, at least from a step sequencer perspective. The step components are a genius idea, and amazing for semi-generative music. It's a tad fiddly though, and can get a bit frustrating due to the occasionally double-triggering buttons, but it doesn't bother me as much as I expect.

Digitone is definitely capable of getting way more lush, especially with the very pretty built-in reverb. It's a typical Elektron box in that it's built like a tank, and the trig keys feel great and are satisfying to press. The sequencer is a bit more limited than the OP-Z but it's still great. Synthesis-wise, it wins over the Z though, obviously 😄 you can go all the way from subtle bell tones, through to subtractive synthesis, and LP5-era Autechre sound design. It almost sounds like a Nord Lead at times, due to the pairing of FM and resonant filters. The downsides though, are that there is no portamento (yet), no arpeggiator on the MIDI tracks (yet), and playing the same note twice cuts the previous one off instead of routing it to another available voice (most noticeable with long attack/release sounds). All three have been talked about on Elektronauts though, so I'm sure they'll be fixed at some point in the future.

They're both amazing machines though, and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

Posted (edited)

Get the QY700 instead imo. 

the sounds are dated and the sequencer is not fast or easy to use but it sure is nice to look at and say "Squarepusher" out loud to yourself. 

Edited by bitchroast

lol

sheathe: "portable sequencer or lush FM workhorse?"

bitroast: "why not neither?"

Well, they’re both groove boxes, and similarly priced.

I’m pretty familiar with both of them, but asking someone who has both, which do you think is more essential?

I don't know which one I'd rather keep if I had to sell one.. that's why I've still got both lol

just get both?

The stars would need to be aligned for me to have that much spare cash available at this point in my life. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, modey said:

The downsides though, are that there is no portamento (yet), no arpeggiator on the MIDI tracks (yet), and playing the same note twice cuts the previous one off instead of routing it to another available voice (most noticeable with long attack/release sounds). All three have been talked about on Elektronauts though, so I'm sure they'll be fixed at some point in the future.

They're both amazing machines though, and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

The second track in the performance video I posted earlier in this thread the Digitone thread relies on those glitches. I kind of don't want them to be fixed.

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a glitch, but when you change patterns, the settings on the delay will speed up or slow down to meet the settings in the next pattern. I really like it and hope they don't change it.

Edited by Braintree

Just saw they announced sampling with the op-z via a free software update, utilising the in-built mic or by plugging in a mic to headphone input...not out yet but coming soon

also said they may be bringing out a sampling add on module also