IGNORED

teenage engineering op-z

juiceciuj

i think with this latest video this unit is worthy of it's own thread. an hour long preproduction demo of just the in board music/sequencing capabilities of the unit. it doesn't cover unity video, dmx light, or external gear sequencing. holy shit this thing is going to be a dick load of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuzMG1Wt_pE

• 5 months later...

i posted an update in the gas thread but it's been pushed back from "sept 17" to "late 17"

the cuckoo thing is the most up to date bit i've seen on it and it's months old and far from an official promo. would love for some dets to come out soon as far as launch window and final price but =\

back in the early days of it's reveal one of the dudes (and i'm 99% sure i actually saw this in a video but can't be arsed to find it now) was all "don't quote me, but we're aiming for $300"

so... yeah, totally. here's hoping for 5 or less.

i'd like to say i'd absolutely draw the line at 6, but i know i'll just end up buying it for whatever as soon as it drops -_-

• 1 year later...

Lol sold out.

Well, I’m definitely not getting one anyway until I get full time job that isn’t contract based..

For some reason I can never fully grasp the specs of new grooveboxes these days. Like, what are the synths, what are the drums, can you load your own samples, how does the UI work?

I’ve watched all the videos multiple times and learned everything but I just can’t recall.

Lol sold out.

Well, I’m definitely not getting one anyway until I get full time job that isn’t contract based..

For some reason I can never fully grasp the specs of new grooveboxes these days. Like, what are the synths, what are the drums, can you load your own samples, how does the UI work?

I’ve watched all the videos multiple times and learned everything but I just can’t recall.

te-opz.jpg

To get to a synth you just press + then upward triangle, turn the green screwdriver right twice then the red one left once while holding down M + 7 + lightbulb then double tap arrow-going-around-a-corner to change synths. I don't see what's so hard to understand.

:emotawesomepm9:

not being mean, i'm just picking y'all :)

Lol sold out.

te-opz.jpg

To get to a synth you just press + then upward triangle, turn the green screwdriver right twice then the red one left once while holding down M + 7 + lightbulb then double tap arrow-going-around-a-corner to change synths. I don't see what's so hard to understand.

:emotawesomepm9:

not being mean, i'm just picking y'all :)

I'm guessing the lightbulb is for sequencing a light rig of some kind?

I'm honestly only interested to see what it can do for visuals.

Dude it can take a photo and apply a cool photoshop filter to it in real-time, who wouldn’t want that?

Tbh the visual side is, to me, the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, but I remember when I first saw camera phones in like 2003 in a cingular store and thought “who in the hell would want a camera on a phone?”

Edited by sheathe

I think the visual side has potential, I haven't looked into it much, but I assume with the Unity integration you could potentially build your own reactive 3D visuals.. maybe? Again, a bit weird that they're taking preorders but there isn't any definitive, 100% complete information out there. Just a "guide" with some references to a full manual.

Either way, my GAS for it has been reactivated somewhat. I'll see if there are any "demo events" while I'm in Sweden in late Oct-early Nov so I can check one out in person.

ikea-furniture-manual.jpg

I'm honestly only interested to see what it can do for visuals.

Dude it can take a photo and apply a cool photoshop filter to it in real-time, who wouldn’t want that?

Tbh the visual side is, to me, the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, but I remember when I first saw camera phones in like 2003 in a cingular store and thought “who in the hell would want a camera on a phone?”

I don't need another "do-it-all" box that's just kind of okay at everything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The visuals portion of it is the only thing that I find interesting because I would be able to integrate it with a live show. I'm not going to be making any bonkers idm tunes using something like that, so I'm only passably interested. It's a bit expensive for what I would be using it for.

• 1 month later...
mine arrived yesterday (with a very cheap obvious in house note to update the fw). didn't get much time to deal with it with construction going on at the house and the missus sick w/flu.

intro tutorial vids are up now too:

notes: the previously mentioned "glow in the dark paint" on the face which was supposed to aid use in the dark was nixxxed (without any mention before purchase). also, many users are reporting battery life somewhere around 4-5 hours. significantly less than the formerly marketed "now you can fly the atlantic 4 times back and forth, sequencing complete songs on 16 dedicated tracks before you run out of power." hopefully a fw issue. haven't had a chance to personally verify yet.

also, the thing is fucking sharp. like i read people joking about it a couple of days before mine arrived. but legitimately the thing is a good bit heavier than i thought it'd be and every corner is super sharp.

Oh nice, they're starting to arrive. I haven't seen any in stores in Europe yet, but will keep an eye out over the next couple of weeks (otherwise I might just have to spend my money on the Medusa).

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to grab one in my city (quite a miracle), played with it a few hours and i've been having good feelings with this so far !

The lack of screen on the unit really isn't a problem, I thought it would be harder to remember everything but the cheat sheet + LED feedbacks are just enough !

The thing is really tiny, even tho I knew it was supposed to be small I was still surprised at how small it is. It's not bigger than a TV remote control.

It sounds good, I've just been noodling around with the stock synths and samples so far but they really do the job. I read somewhere that you can also import your samples and synths packs into the thing but still need to try it out !

Anyway it's really cool, curious to hear what you guys think about it as well :) !

Yeah I see StoreDJ has them in stock. Very tempted. I'll try to hold out for a little while though! Still trying to decide between it and the lyra-8 tbh.. two very different machines lol

Haha, so I caved. 10% off eBay code meant I got $100AUD off the price.

I'm actually really keen to try the graphical side of things..

I can totally see you doing some 2.0 Dethwave project with amazing Doom visuals !!!

I've been unusually productive with this unit so far. Learning curve is far less steep than I first thought, muscle memory is already kicking in after a week of use.