IGNORED

Brainwaltzera - Outdives EP [AF007]

user303

name ONE living person who could create something as inspired and well produced as this and it not be Richard D james. 

or Mike Paradinas

really?

can't do it, huh!

flahbulb

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jocking hard on Aphex's balls I see , wth less than a  smidgeon of his talent.   Too many artists sound like this.    They are almost iinterchangeable.

Jocking hard on Aphex's balls I see , wth less than a  smidgeon of his talent.  

​this. this guy had some pretty good tracks on his soundcloud, i remember a classic ambient techno one sampling stockhausen and the birthday french girl one, but dude lost major karma/artistic credibility points for retrofitting his tracks with rdj naming conventions and spraying just enough bullshit in his track descriptions without naming names to arouse suspicion of rdj involvement. shame.

Too many artists sound like this.    They are almost iinterchangeable.

it's a problem in braindance, particularly acid analog braindance which is the worst although i love the genre to death, but this guy had actually some ''original'' tracks lumped in with some amateur/ poor sounding stuff in my opinion. by original i mean that some tracks seemed to be telling an original story or evoking specific emotions, not emerging from a cookbook of musical ideas/techniques produced on fetished gear like many of the masterful braindance guys of today.

Guest bitroast

yep. being influenced by aphex is one thing. purposely misleading people into thinking you are someone you are not with the pursuit of success and, now that EPs are being sold, money.. to me is dodgy and shameful. 

wait, sorry .. just kidding. what i meant to say was .. what if this IS actually RIchard D James ?? 

Jocking hard on Aphex's balls I see , wth less than a smidgeon of his talent.

​this. this guy had some pretty good tracks on his soundcloud, i remember a classic ambient techno one sampling stockhausen and the birthday french girl one, but dude lost major karma/artistic credibility points for retrofitting his tracks with rdj naming conventions and spraying just enough bullshit in his track descriptions without naming names to arouse suspicion of rdj involvement. shame.
Too many artists sound like this.    They are almost iinterchangeable.
it's a problem in braindance, particularly acid analog braindance which is the worst although i love the genre to death, but this guy had actually some ''original'' tracks lumped in with some amateur/ poor sounding stuff in my opinion. by original i mean that some tracks seemed to be telling an original story or evoking specific emotions, not emerging from a cookbook of musical ideas/techniques produced on fetished gear like many of the masterful braindance guys of today.
Do you really think interchangeable artists are more prevalent in braindance than any other genre? I can think of many "derivative" artists in other genres, just as I can with braindance. Sometimes it is ok really enjoying someone who does a specific formula really well.

For example, RX-101. Nothing to unique to hear, but Erik touches a nerve on every track he produces.

Jocking hard on Aphex's balls I see , wth less than a smidgeon of his talent.

Too many artists sound like this.    They are almost iinterchangeable.
Do you really think interchangeable artists are more prevalent in braindance than any other genre? I can think of many "derivative" artists in other genres, just as I can with braindance. Sometimes it is ok really enjoying someone who does a specific formula really well.

For example, RX-101. Nothing to unique to hear, but Erik touches a nerve on every track he produces.

I'd venture that it's not more prevalent, but that fans of this genre (compared to say, pop music) are critical listeners and thus more apt to notice similarities etc. So where listeners to other genres might throw on a few tracks and hear a different beat or whatever (oversimplifying probably), fans of the idmz are listening to things on a micro level down to the instruments/synths used, time signature, timbre, samples etc.

Am I making sense? =/

Edit: sounds horribly pretentious. But I think it's true. I've not met anyone (I'm sure they exist) that is critical of pop music down to trying to figure out the brand of guitar or drums used, etc.

What is Film recordings? They are releasing both Steve Reich/Terry Riley AND Brainwaltzera??

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious....

Agree that Marzipan ep is excellent, btw.

• 3 weeks later...

yep. being influenced by aphex is one thing. purposely misleading people into thinking you are someone you are not with the pursuit of success and, now that EPs are being sold, money.. to me is dodgy and shameful. 

wait, sorry .. just kidding. what i meant to say was .. what if this IS actually RIchard D James ?? 

richard says he's not richard so others can say that they are

brain waltz never said he was, though, for the record. dude likes fucking with people. richard said "this is my only sc account" in the sc description at one point then brain waltz's description changed to "but what about this one," or something like that, i think, as an example.

some musicians enjoy fucking with people in this techno internet thing where things aren't verifiable. the attachment between music and identity is arbitrary and in some ways detrimental. the utility of being able to find other music by the same person doesn't mean that musicians have to disclose their information.

Archived