IGNORED

Anvil Stereo - work in progress songs

747Music

Is late. Posting this and heading to bed. Haven't been in here in a while, I'll be sure to have a much overdue gander across the threads tomorrow, after sleep.

I'm making big improvements in the mastering department and am pretty happy with my progress.

I rendered this song after working on it a good while today in my rearranged studio. It's still not done.

https://soundcloud.com/747music-1/anvil-stereo-happy-smiling-faces-behind-the-wall-work-in-progress

I really like the composition and vibe of this but I'd be interested to hear a version that isn't so heavily sidechained. With bass I get it, but chopping up those beautiful pads seems like a shame! But that's just personal preference on my end, if that's what you were going for, good on ya. 

I agree with ladalaika but I don't think the side chaining should go away. What if the pads were only affected by the first kick in every bar and the release knob on the compressor gets dialled all the way up so the release that's extremely long. That way you'll end up with some pads that have more time to breathe before getting pulled down by the kick? :)

I really like the composition and vibe of this but I'd be interested to hear a version that isn't so heavily sidechained. With bass I get it, but chopping up those beautiful pads seems like a shame! But that's just personal preference on my end, if that's what you were going for, good on ya. 

I agree with ladalaika but I don't think the side chaining should go away. What if the pads were only affected by the first kick in every bar and the release knob on the compressor gets dialled all the way up so the release that's extremely long. That way you'll end up with some pads that have more time to breathe before getting pulled down by the kick? :)

I was going for that, ya. But I'm going to give Squee's suggestion a whirl and see how it sounds. In theory it sounds like a pretty good idea that will bring the sound out more. I will keep the sidechaining on the vocals the same, as I really like the results.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I'll be making the kick less repetitive and adding a nice melodic hook as well.

i love the sound of heavy sidechaining, think it sounds great.

Yeah, same here. It's both a technically important thing but it also adds so much life to for instance pads. I once did a bunch of recordings in Ableton where I would side chain random electronic tunes to a synth that was playing some arpeggiator stuff... I then added a reverb at the end of the chain. it was awesome.

im doing semi live performances these days, and switching up the rhythm of a sidechain mid synthline is one of the most satisfying things you can do to a sound i think.

Haven't had much time to work on the song, but I messed about today a bit. I disabled the sidechain on the "pads", made the kick less repetitive, extended the end, lessened the reverb on the vocal loop a bit as they sound more rich this way, also changed the vocal loop a little. I also made the bassline run solid to see how it sounds but I think I'll have them pulse in and out on a different time signature again, or just manually twiddle the freq and res knobs while it goes.

Still need to add a melodic hook. Gonna mess about and I'm sure it'll allow the song to flesh out more.

https://soundcloud.com/747music-1/anvil-stereo-happy-smiling-faces-render-5-wip

Pretty friggin cool. It goes straight to my head like a phat bong rip. :music:

Thanks! heh.

I messed up my back. So I started making this new one this morning. EDIT: Play the finished track at the bottom of this post if you wanna skip beatless jazz

https://soundcloud.com/747music-1/anvil-stereo-for-the-trailer-that-injured-my-back-render-3

I can't do much more with the song at the moment because what I want to do with it would require bending down to set up and use some of my gear. Not gonna happen. It took me 40 minutes to do 2 things this morning: 1) get out of bed and 2) put on pants. That was full attempt and max effort for that whole 40 minutes. Screw this pants wearing society, man! Fight the power!

EDIT: Here is the finished song:

https://soundcloud.com/747music-1/anvil-stereo-for-the-trailer-that-injured-my-back

Am working on a music video for this song. Looking through some archived videos I have on my PC I found one I feel fits perfectly. So well I gave this song a proper name to match the video source: "above the horizon".

The video is far from done and is set to unlisted because of it. I had to quit working on it when I looked at the clock late last night.

Check it oat:

EDIT: that will not be a half hexagon on the right when I'm done with it. It's actually there now because it's the absence of video, the bottoms of the mirrors I placed on that side. I do like the idea of a shape on the side. It will be a circle perhaps. "Anvil Stereo" and "747" will appear inside during the clap/snare hits.

For goodness sake, I thought I was done with it. I extended the ending with an ambient outro. I like the transition as is, but help me decide if I should make it smoother.

https://soundcloud.com/747music-1/anvil-stereo-above-the-horizon-extended-ending

Made a short video. I should've been working on the one I already posted progress for above, but ya gotta get ideas out while they're fresh, eh. Trying to put symbolism into the videos instead of them being just random footage that kinda matches the tune. A friend said it's a bit hard to guess all the parts and what they imply. I would love to see what people come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

Too much distortion?

http://https://soundcloud.com/747music-1/anvil-stereo-distortionbeat01-r3/s-CtlHW

Still gonna add a nice chilled out breather in the middle. I'm thinking an easy going hiphop-like intermission using the mellotron sound before returning to the chaotic sound. Should hopefully make a good contrast.

EDIT: Can't embed private tracks?

Made a short video. I should've been working on the one I already posted progress for above, but ya gotta get ideas out while they're fresh, eh. Trying to put symbolism into the videos instead of them being just random footage that kinda matches the tune. A friend said it's a bit hard to guess all the parts and what they imply. I would love to see what people come up with.

I REALLY like this. Beautiful. And I don't think I understood anything of what the video was about or trying to symbolise but I still loved it!

About the private track, yeah you can't embed private tracks... But I might be able to fix it for you. You'll need to give me the HTML embed code.

• 2 weeks later...

I REALLY like this. Beautiful. And I don't think I understood anything of what the video was about or trying to symbolise but I still loved it!

About the private track, yeah you can't embed private tracks... But I might be able to fix it for you. You'll need to give me the HTML embed code.

Thank you! :D

3 Hints/riddles for the video:

1. People rise from the earth at the beginning. They return to the earth at the end

2. Horses are strong. This one is in it's prime.

3. Clouds inhale. Clouds exhale.

Thanks for the offer, but I made that distortion song public:

https://soundcloud.com/747music-1/anvil-stereo-distortionbeat01-r3

Also made this yesterday:

The story: "You're stuck in a loop of time while in a museum line. Wondering when you'll leave, you start to hear this music as your mind reacts to realizing you're stuck and have been here for far longer than you thought. Soon the world outside of that museum line becomes a distant memory, until that line is all you know."

I really am especially in love with the Porta One for the last little while.

Made this:

Dedicated to Geir Jenssen.

• 1 month later...

Archived