IGNORED

Goldie - Inner City Life (Burial remix)

Culture

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah more interesting than I anticipated, though some of those pitch clashes between the remix and the original vocals .... oh god ! (and does he get bored at 2:47:30 when he notices he's actually kept to one consistent idea for almost 5 minutes :biggrin: )

Yeah more interesting than I anticipated, though some of those pitch clashes between the remix and the original vocals .... 

sometimes remixes get away with it but other times it's grating - this one really tows the line

overall much better remix than I expected, same intensity as Rival Dealer

Different from what I was expecting but love it! Was thinking it was going to be much more chilled like his commix remix

Anyhow as this is a record store day thingy does that mean it defo won't get digital release?

burial remix: https://www.residentadvisor.net/tracks/851171

pretty disappointed tbh, has neither the atmosphere of the original nor that of other burial tracks... nothing can beat the nookie remix i suppose

R U SURE 'BOUT DAT?

holy shit my sides

I'd've thought this was a fake if Metalheadz themselves hadn't posted it. it's not totally shit (Hiders) but it's so boring. and for what the original was, doesn't live up to it at all.

• 3 months later...

Digital out now

https://metalheadz.bandcamp.com/album/meta057s-inner-city-life-2017-rebuild-and-burial-remix-feat-diane-charlemagne

Think I'm going to put this with that amazing Mønic remix and make my self a little burial e.p :)

there are 8 now on spotify that aren't on his albums or 12"

i made a short playlist if anyone's interested

https://open.spotify.com/user/confettihellgate/playlist/46bdi25N0YBMo0QwQ9onz6

Foster Care

Vial (w/breakage)

Lambeth

Ego (w/four tet)

Temple Sleeper

Sweetz (w/zomby)

Inner City Life remix (goldie)

Deep Summer remix (mønic)

Nice! Have all them but good little playlist. Love Fostercare in particular

Sweetz i didnt enjoy that much at first but even that has grown on me

Am well ready for a Burial full length.. or another longish ep would do to be fair

But any Burial fans dont sleep on the mønic remix seroiously one of his best tracks!

Never got what the big deal was with Inner City Life to begin with, but to me this remix is easily better than the original. In the same vein as Rival Dealer (the track) or Temple Sleeper, it sounds like it was made on a day where he'd had his coffee.

Mønic remix is decent if a little uneventful until the final minutes. When you listen to the original, it's a strange candidate for a remix anyway.

Never got what the big deal was with Inner City Life to begin with

My knowledge of dnb isn't fantastic but to the best of my knowledge I don't think there had been a 20+ minute epic like that before (especially not one that charted so highly in the mainstream charts)

IIRC it was the ~4 minute single (below) that blew up - on the album it's woven into the 20+ minute Timeless track, which indeed epic.

To each is/er own, but for me it packs 1000x more feels per bullet-casing than anything by burial

Never got what the big deal was with Burial to begin with

fixt

Inner City Life was important because it was the first genuine crossover hit for dnb/jungle. Goldie made some great tunes as Metalheads before this (the Terminator EP is one of my all time favs, including the original version of Kemistry) but they still had their boots firmly in the original hardcore/rave sound and were never really going to be palatable for mainstream radio. That all changed when he made this tune and the Timeless LP. It's hard to understate just how huge this tune and that album was for the genre as a whole, firmly putting dnb into the mainstream, at least here in the UK. When people look back fondly on this tune, they're also looking at the historical paradigm shift it made for dnb as a whole. It was immaculately produced and softened the rough edges of the jungle sound without losing its soul in the process. A lot is said about how much Goldie himself actually does with his music, when Playford and co clearly did most of the grunt work, but his name/brand/image set the standard and allowed other dnb artists like Photek, Roni Size etc... To get signed to big labels of their own.

Personally, I think it's a beautiful tune. Goldies early stuff had that sense of melancholy about it, which I totally love. Listen to his other tunes like Beachdrifta or The Shadow and they just slay me every time. A lot of people hate Mother (its about an hour long and goes for the epic orchestral vibe, somewhat missing the mark a bit), but I think its still a great tune too.

Archived