IGNORED

Scientists identify parts of the brain involved in dreaming

chenGOD

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/apr/10/scientists-identify-parts-of-brain-involved-in-dreaming

A pretty cool article. Especially neat is the difference between dreams in REM and non-REM sleep.

If anyone would like the full academic article, let me know.

Fuckit, I uploaded the thing anyways.

The Neural Correlates of Dreaming (2017).pdf

rem sleep research is the reason i stopped smoking weed. rem sleep is important to consolidate memory and weed disrupts rem sleep (thats why you dont dream if you are a heavy user or smoke before going to bed)

during heavy use i was reading Feynman's QED book and for the life of me i couldn't retain any information and i kid you not the day i stopped smoking i had a very vivid dream about everything that was on that book, that dream not only helped me remember but also helped me understand some of the concepts.

Thanks for posting this. I've got a huge interest in this, previously being a heavy drinker and missing out on tons of REM sleep my dreams are incredibly intense even to this day. When I wake up I sometimes feel like I've been in another world for days.

Will take me a while to read through this though.

rem sleep research is the reason i stopped smoking weed. rem sleep is important to consolidate memory and weed disrupts rem sleep (thats why you dont dream if you are a heavy user or smoke before going to bed)

during heavy use i was reading Feynman's QED book and for the life of me i couldn't retain any information and i kid you not the day i stopped smoking i had a very vivid dream about everything that was on that book, that dream not only helped me remember but also helped me understand some of the concepts.

This study shows that you dream during both REM and non-REM sleep.

Although I don't disagree about heavy weed use and lack of dreaming. I still rarely dream, and I quit smoking heavily years ago.

Although I don't disagree about heavy weed use and lack of dreaming. I still rarely dream, and I quit smoking heavily years ago.

obviously there are different mechanisms involve in learning + memory but at least for me rem sleep is an essential one 

weed puts me in a extreme state of "here and now" meaning that i only experience the present, once the moment passed is forgotten forever and never to be recovered by my dumb brain, i dont think this is a bad state to be in but i love learning and it was impossible for me to learn anything while using.

everyone is different tho, some people's memory+ability to learn are not affected by weed at all 

Look forward to reading this! I've been thinking about dreaming a lot since my wife and I had a kid almost two years ago. Watching him sleep and noticing him dream and/or half sleep while his talking has been interesting. Also we were cat napping a lot and it was a new perspective for me to sleep in increments of 3-4 hours yet still dream

When I wake up I sometimes feel like I've been in another world for days.

Man, I've had some of those, been years though. I dream every night and they are still vivid, long, and often multiple narratives and places but I don't have my batshit epic other realm dreams like I used to when I was younger and over-sleeping out of boredom / moodiness as a teen.

Does anyone here keep a dream journal? I used to and it was quite enlightening. I never have mundane repetition dreams (except for like when I get a new job) but I go to the same 'places' a lot.

Dreams where you feel and smell instead of just seeing...

These are the dreams I have, on a fairly regular basis. I'm usually very aware that I'm dreaming in my dreams, but it feels like I make conscious decisions to do one thing or another. They're really intense and overall pretty positive. Sometimes extra trippy, is I'll go to sleep within the dream and still wake up in the dream, feels like they go on for days. Some matrix shit or something lol. I hope they keep on like this. 

Dreams where you feel and smell instead of just seeing...

These are the dreams I have, on a fairly regular basis. I'm usually very aware that I'm dreaming in my dreams, but it feels like I make conscious decisions to do one thing or another. They're really intense and overall pretty positive. Sometimes extra trippy, is I'll go to sleep within the dream and still wake up in the dream, feels like they go on for days. Some matrix shit or something lol. I hope they keep on like this. 

This should be the description for Inception on imdb.com

last night i was dreaming that i was feeling some wetness in my pants, so i checked to see what's going on and saw a brown pool of diarrhea in my underwear. that's it, absolutely nothing else happened. there was not even a setting, context or some backstory leading to shitting myself, just those two events one after another. probably the shortest and the most straightforward dream in my life i that remember.

Archived