IGNORED

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

The album sounds good but it wears off really quick. Tbh it doesn't stick to begin with because he ruined the songs with u2 and fucking reversed vocals among other weird choices. His delivery isn't impressive either, just occasionnally. The philosophy behind it an the punchlines could be stronger too. 

I listened to it countless times when it came out but it's been weeks, maybe monhts since I touched it.

The U2 song is one of the only ones I like. I hate the hype man, the generic production, and Rihanna.

Yeah... Kid Capri... I don't need anyone telling me it's a world premiere or a remix. Just like back in the day when I'd go to a Drum N' Bass event and some Hype dude grabs a mic... I normally leave... Other than that, I'm down with this record.

Edited by QBLA

I feel like Kendrick excels at doing guest verses. I love his track on FlyLo's "You're Dead" as well as the newest Danny Brown and Vince Staples records. I have never felt like he has been able to carry a whole record. If he was part of a collective of MC's and not a solo artist he'd probably be my favorite in the group but on his own he can run himself thin.

I feel like Kendrick excels at doing guest verses. I love his track on FlyLo's "You're Dead" as well as the newest Danny Brown and Vince Staples records. I have never felt like he has been able to carry a whole record. If he was part of a collective of MC's and not a solo artist he'd probably be my favorite in the group but on his own he can run himself thin.

as far as subjective opinions go this is as close as objectively wrong as you can get

• Like 1

as far as subjective opinions go this is as close as objectively wrong as you can get

LOL sounds like me :) 

I like Kendrick and love approximately 3 songs on each of his releases up to Untitled Unmastered.

I found Untitled Unmastered far more interesting and consistent than his previous releases and got really excited about what he would do next. Then he dropped "The Heart Part 4" and i was like "DAMN this new Kendrick is gonna be amazing".

Then the record dropped without that track on it, i thought it starts incredibly strong but loses it's focus after track 4. 

I gave it many more chances, and the highs got that much higher but the lows got so much lower that i lost interest in most of it after a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just tried to listen to this from start to finish and fell asleep by the 4th track. I just can't rate it as an album. I can't say it's bad, it's not, but it just doesn't grab me. I do like the singles though (Humble, DNA).

Edited by usagi

• 9 months later...

i still don't understand this kind of music at all. listening to it is kinda like browsing facebook feeds/blogs of your relatively not stupid, sensitive and politically/culturally aware friends/family. it's all just so just boringly grounded to current daily life and overly familiar. the coolest thing about music is that it can take you places, but why would you want to be taken to your local swamp and just drown in all this contemporariness?

another question i have regarding the issue of hip hop. are white people allowed to sing along lines that have nigg* in them during the gigs?

Yes, that's prominently why white people listen to rap anyway.

To Pimp A Butterfly was Pulitzer Prize worthy, but he's not firing on all cylinders on this one. The flows can be pretty unappealing. It's Kendrick-lite with just a few reminders of his past glories. Like it's meant to be a day in the life, I just rolled out of bed and the result is this album kind of vibe. A reaction against how ambitious his last two albums were. 

Whenever he performs live on talk shows and award shows, he's really fucking good though. 

i still don't understand this kind of music at all. listening to it is kinda like browsing facebook feeds/blogs of your relatively not stupid, sensitive and politically/culturally aware friends/family. it's all just so just boringly grounded to current daily life and overly familiar. the coolest thing about music is that it can take you places, but why would you want to be taken to your local swamp and just drown in all this contemporariness?

another question i have regarding the issue of hip hop. are white people allowed to sing along lines that have nigg* in them during the gigs?

lol

i still don't understand this kind of music at all. listening to it is kinda like browsing facebook feeds/blogs of your relatively stupid, insensitive and emotionally/socially unaware friends/family. it's all just so just boringly non-relatable to current daily life and overly distant. the coolest thing about music is that it can take you places, but why would you want to be taken to your local hospital and just drown in all this autism?

another question i have regarding the issue of idm. are functional people allowed to dance along to tracks that aren’t in 4/4 during the gigs?

• 2 years later...

Sorry guys but this album is motherfucking amazing. Kendrick one of the hiphop great for sure. I got the collectors edition so the tracklist is in reverse order, I actually like it more this way!

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Sorry guys but this album is motherfucking amazing. Kendrick one of the hiphop great for sure. I got the collectors edition so the tracklist is in reverse order, I actually like it more this way!

Yes I like it a lot too. His storytelling skills on fear and duckworth are incredible. This album is awesome but I still always have a soft spot for good kid maad city. Sherane is my fav track from him not just storytelling skills on there but maybe because the arrangement is so cool. Love that slide guitar on there or whatever it is.

1 hour ago, bupkis said:

Yes I like it a lot too. His storytelling skills on fear and duckworth are incredible. This album is awesome but I still always have a soft spot for good kid maad city. Sherane is my fav track from him not just storytelling skills on there but maybe because the arrangement is so cool. Love that slide guitar on there or whatever it is.

Actually haven't listened to GKMC all that much bit i need to dive into it asap. I have spent the past two years with TPAB, U/ U, DAMN. I don't know why i never really checked it out

1 minute ago, thumbass said:

Actually haven't listened to GKMC all that much bit i need to dive into it asap. I have spent the past two years with TPAB, U/ U, DAMN. I don't know why i never really checked it out

Aw man you are in for a treat! It kind of has a complete story arch that spans the whole album in a way that is more satisfying than his other stuff in my opinion. The beat on the second half of the song maad city is extra ?

3 hours ago, bupkis said:

Aw man you are in for a treat! It kind of has a complete story arch that spans the whole album in a way that is more satisfying than his other stuff in my opinion. The beat on the second half of the song maad city is extra ?

Very curious! I brught the collectors edition CD on discogs but the seller still hasn't responded so i am suspicious.

Edited by thumbass

IMO all 4 albums from Good Kid>Damn are excellent, but I enjoy DAMN the most because its lighter on the storytelling elements.  He's wicked good at that side of things, but this album is my favorite to just smack on and enjoy the flow from track to track.

Definitely some elements of his albums that are quite 'conventional' (especially when guests feature) and can feel like a guilty pleasure to listen to, but 90% of it is just really great music.

Edited by markedone
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, markedone said:

IMO all 4 albums from Good Kid>Damn are excellent, but I enjoy DAMN the most because its lighter on the storytelling elements.  He's wicked good at that side of things, but this album is my favorite to just smack on and enjoy the flow from track to track.

Definitely some elements of his albums that are quite 'conventional' (especially when guests feature) and can feel like a guilty pleasure to listen to, but 90% of it is just really great music.

I have to agree on this. Even though it might be his most commercial sounding album to date it still uses very cool production techniques like completely changing the beat from one second to the next or reversing the vocals etc. It makes for a very varied listen for sure! Because of this it has to be my favorite Kendrick project, which is saying a whole lot since he has put out nothing but 9/10's imo.

• Like 1

I recently revisited DAMN and it's got a few killer tracks but doesn't feel super consistent to me. I think I liked To Pimp a Butterfly a tad more, although to be fair I never spent that much time with either one. Long overdue for a Good Kid revisit.