IGNORED

Day For Night

exitonly

Nice!! you have the original somewhere? would be cool to compare. This is really fresh sounding, good stuff. Same vibes as the really good, late 90s, early 2000s chillout music. Like something you'd hear on a Cafe Del Mar comp.

I like it.  :music:

Still Life, on your SC is great!!

thanks! I do have the original mix here- 
*edit* apparently i cant share private tracks because the SC player wont allow it but you can paste these two bits together to create url for the track -

https://soundcloud.com/exit_only          /dayfornight/s-8lDVP 

There's some extra drum elements in there that I took out because I thought they didnt add anything and I added a new snare in the 'fast' part. Outside of that it was just generally going though each element and cleaning them up a bit via eq etc. 

Thanks for the commens on Still Life as well. I posted that one here a while ago. I like that track a lot but its definitely one of the most 'straight' trip-hop kind of tracks I've done. Listening to this one, which is older, I feel like I experimented a bit more. Eventually I think I'm going to go back to still life and vary the drums a bit.

Oh man, when that wobbly detuned synthy thing comes in! I love everything about this - the audible dirt especially. I haven't heard the original, but I don't think there's much can be improved upon this. Reminds me of Mort Garson's Plantasia with groovier drums. 

Not a huge fan of when shit gets crazy around 2:15 because I was vibing so well with the laidback beginning. But that's just personal opinion. 

I hear you, and after returning to this track I thought the same thing about whether the fast bit kills the vibe of the whole thing. I guess my argument for it is that theres a lot of tracks that do that.. just kind of stay mellow and the same.  Part of the theme of the track is that the lead part stays the same but everything around it keeps changing.. so how you hear it at the end is different from the beginning because of what happened in the middle :) 

I might consider doing a different 'c' section at some point though!

The transition between the loungey beginning and the craziness nearer the end was flawless IMO, and the way it segues back into being laid-back after was great. I thought the cymbals were a little bright, but other than that this is tops. 

Uhf! This is great! Super solid production and lovely progression. Love that sampled harp or whatever it is that plays in the left channel. I wasn't expecting the blow up at 2:13 but it is totally justified. Great job!

yeah that transition is really well done, very smooth. the earlier drum transition is less smooth but not in a bad way, if that makes sense. lots of cool sounds here. half ninja tuney trip hop/half Mort Garson (like Auditor said).

thanks for the feedback everyone!  i'd never heard Mort Garson before but listening to it, I hear what you're saying. i'll definitely take another look at the cymbal sounds. I'm assuming you're talking about the ones that are kind of one-offs that happen a couple times. 

Archived