IGNORED

Anyone else feel a new release is coming?

phudoshin

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something soon I hope... Theres this thing about elseq though... Like its so long and hard to get a proper experience with it you know? As in length that is. Also that it is all Max stuff (as far as I know) kind of pushes me away from it...and it's completely because I don't understand Max or why to, kind of frustrates me.

So basically hoping for something more accessible length wise, and some physicality would be nice too. But hey they're the artists and that's that I guess.

Ohhh i would love to erase autechre music from my memory sometimes and start fresh...like eternal sunshine.

^ would you prefer reason 2.0 or volca chain? Itz a funny thing...Ppl just love to hate art they cant reproduce themself, even on watmm. Very narcissistic imo

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I love to delve into elseq coz its so different from their other stuff. And I respect them playing with the release format and whatnot, it's kinda weird... To be honest I think someone out there could probably come close to making hardware stuff sound like Max stuff.

I think it's more the fact that to me elseq sounds less dedicated in detail and Max as a whole is kind of taking the short way out after a monumental learning curve I'm sure, which would have been a mind fuck. so it's more of that for me, the music seems to have less soul or something ... Maybe it's just how I'm looking at it, perspective right?

To add, I don't try and sound like autechre, I don't even make music anymore. And yes I'm frustrated about music coming from arguments and all that stuff that Max does which I have no interest in atm ...and you could argue that a synth patch does the same thing twiddle some knobs and 'bang' Bob's your uncle... But theres no denying theres something less frigid about the later way of outputting sound. Funny you calling me narcissistic... I gave my opinion no need to be presumptuous.

Just because something is innovative, different or misunderstood doesn't make it untouchable... Or better than anything else. I respect Ae for pushing themselves by learning Max, but I see it as just that, them having learnt a new way of outputting there musical taste.

Any who, this is stupid.

Itz a funny thing...Ppl just love to hate art they cant reproduce themself, even on watmm. Very narcissistic imo

I think someone out there could probably come close to making hardware stuff sound like Max stuff...

...elseq sounds less dedicated in detail and Max as a whole is kind of taking the short way out after a monumental learning curve I'm sure, which would have been a mind fuck. so it's more of that for me, the music seems to have less soul or something ... 

...you could argue that a synth patch does the same thing twiddle some knobs and 'bang' Bob's your uncle... But theres no denying theres something less frigid about the later way of outputting sound...

I agree with both of these points, in a sense. Max is really interesting and it's truly amazing to hear stuff made by these guys who have mastered it to such a degree - with that much control it might be the case that they have literally customized and honed their sound more than any musicians in history.

But I also get this sense that their Max system has evolved to a point that they are no longer fighting with it, for better or worse. Like the synth/sequencer equivalent of affluence. Not to say that they aren't innovating, but they seem to have crossed some threshold in the last 5 years or so where their music is fundamentally about something different. I would guess, moving from a scrappy combination of off-the-shelf, modified, and homegrown ingredients to their own powerful but streamlined infrastructure. Almost like a startup going enterprise.

I often wish they weren't so secretive, not because I want to be just like them (although they're certainly a huge influence), but because understanding why and how they've created their environment would be so helpful for less accomplished music makers (i.e. pretty much everyone else) to make decisions about how to design and refine their own workflows. That said, the secrecy and opaqueness has, with few exceptions, been a core tenet since the beginning, and the few glimpses we've had at their workflow have just added to the mystery.

They do seem to be very conscious of the downstream effects of their choices, mostly how it changes what they spend their time doing (that quote from Oversteps era about "making the most of the time we have") and the expectations on them. I think they like having their own strange walled garden whose gates they only emerge from every few years to share the mutant fruits of their labors.

Something soon I hope... Theres this thing about elseq though... Like its so long and hard to get a proper experience with it you know? As in length that is. Also that it is all Max stuff (as far as I know) kind of pushes me away from it...and it's completely because I don't understand Max or why to, kind of frustrates me.

So basically hoping for something more accessible length wise, and some physicality would be nice too. But hey they're the artists and that's that I guess.

Ohhh i would love to erase autechre music from my memory sometimes and start fresh...like eternal sunshine.

This is a weird thing to say. Just listen to it like music? Why do you need to understand how it's made? I can't play piano but I am able to appreciate the sound of someone playing.

elseq just sounds like autechre. Tracks are a little longer but for me at least it's not a problem, just means I can zone out to it easier, as opposed to the mind-zen karate kid test of blink and it's over Quaristice tracks (which I still love and appreciate for diff reasons)

^ would you prefer reason 2.0 or volca chain? Itz a funny thing...Ppl just love to hate art they cant reproduce themself, even on watmm. Very narcissistic imo

lol wut r u cerious ur not rite

New release must be imminent if they are doing a radio show. Its the law.

Unless the radio show is the new release.

So I've been thinking about this a lot (for about the last 39 seconds), and I've finally come to the conclusion that I can no longer listen to the 'chre mates, and the reason is simple.

I don't understand how to do wicked styling graffiti tags.

The music of the 'chre is so inherently tied to this phenomenon and it's really screwing with my melon, man. Those amazing colourful, architectural, angular yet fluid lines, the gradients, the splatter of the paint.

How do they do it?

Why can't I do it?

I tried to do tags but people just laugh at my attempts. They say I'm not street enough, not frrrrrrrresh enough. Not the 'chre enous.

I am the 'chre enous.

I thought I was anyway.

Anyway, the only solution left is to lock up my 'chre vinyls and never look at them again, because the pain of not understanding graffiti tags is just too much to bear.

I know my watmm friends will understand, and I thank you all for your moral support through this troubling and dark time.

So I've been thinking about this a lot (for about the last 39 seconds), and I've finally come to the conclusion that I can no longer listen to the 'chre mates, and the reason is simple.

I don't understand how to do wicked styling graffiti tags.

The music of the 'chre is so inherently tied to this phenomenon and it's really screwing with my melon, man. Those amazing colourful, architectural, angular yet fluid lines, the gradients, the splatter of the paint.

How do they do it?

Why can't I do it?

I tried to do tags but people just laugh at my attempts. They say I'm not street enough, not frrrrrrrresh enough. Not the 'chre enous.

I am the 'chre enous.

I thought I was anyway.

Anyway, the only solution left is to lock up my 'chre vinyls and never look at them again, because the pain of not understanding graffiti tags is just too much to bear.

I know my watmm friends will understand, and I thank you all for your moral support through this troubling and dark time.

Graffiti, really? Pft ...Your sarcasm is so fresh dude... Whoa, I'm laughing lots, thanks for the laugh... I think you are so funny.

Graffiti. Lolz... classic

This is a weird thing to say. Just listen to it like music? Why do you need to understand how it's made? I can't play piano but I am able to appreciate the sound of someone playing.

elseq just sounds like autechre. Tracks are a little longer but for me at least it's not a problem, just means I can zone out to it easier, as opposed to the mind-zen karate kid test of blink and it's over Quaristice tracks (which I still love and appreciate for diff reasons)

It's more the method of having achieved elseq than the process of what exactly they did to come up with it that is disconcerting to me.

I don't sit here wishing that I knew the ins and outs of Max, coz to be honest looks kinda soul draining. I like elseq, just not as much as others here that's for sure.

Its going to be very interesting to see which direction they go next, stick with Max way of output or god knows what.

I'm sure eventually even Max will become ancient and useless (or boring) to them ...like midi

^^^^  max is so adaptable though.  i think they're going over hurdles each time they dive in or something. solving problems they see as shortcomings or whatever.  making a better mouse trap.. er.. better filter, better analog sounding thing.. blah blah.. 

just listen to tac lacora. fuck. 

anyway.. whatever they do i'm just glad they do it. 

I think it's going to be an entire album of folk covers.  Sean on acoustic guitar/ukulele, and Rob on accordion/tambourine.  I've seen it in my dreams recently while on cough medicine.  Or maybe, it wasn't a dream.  I'm sick.

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I love to delve into elseq coz its so different from their other stuff. And I respect them playing with the release format and whatnot, it's kinda weird... To be honest I think someone out there could probably come close to making hardware stuff sound like Max stuff.

I think it's more the fact that to me elseq sounds less dedicated in detail and Max as a whole is kind of taking the short way out after a monumental learning curve I'm sure, which would have been a mind fuck. so it's more of that for me, the music seems to have less soul or something ... Maybe it's just how I'm looking at it, perspective right?

To add, I don't try and sound like autechre, I don't even make music anymore. And yes I'm frustrated about music coming from arguments and all that stuff that Max does which I have no interest in atm ...and you could argue that a synth patch does the same thing twiddle some knobs and 'bang' Bob's your uncle... But theres no denying theres something less frigid about the later way of outputting sound. Funny you calling me narcissistic... I gave my opinion no need to be presumptuous.

Just because something is innovative, different or misunderstood doesn't make it untouchable... Or better than anything else. I respect Ae for pushing themselves by learning Max, but I see it as just that, them having learnt a new way of outputting there musical taste.

Any who, this is stupid.

Yup.

Your perspective is weird though.

You're talking about their 'MAX sound' as if it's a recent development. They've had that sound since EP7. So wtf are you talking about?

Also I was rocking elseq 1&2 last night on headphones, tipsy night walk. Was Bangin'

You're talking about their 'MAX sound' as if it's a recent development. They've had that sound since EP7. So wtf are you talking about?

tis

Also assuming the end result is the way it is cause of what you assume is their work process, which we really have no idea what it is or how these tracks really came to be, is kind of presumptuous

I do agree with you in that I prefer the old fashioned album format though, and the more 'focused' releases, and that it does sound like AE on autopilot at times lately. But I don't know if that can be attributed to their work process specifically.

'you' being sine nomine whomstve I didnt quote

It was a three year wait for a 4 hour release, it's only been 2 years so let's just assume it's a nice svelte 70 min album coming out in a couple months.

Let the excitement commence. Bullwallet 4eva,

Peace

Archived