IGNORED

Reason Now Has VST Support

koolkeyZ865

As far as I can see 369 is full price, if you already have an earlier version you can upgrade for 129,-. Looking at what they offer, Reason essentials looks interesting to me for 69,-, that is if it will also support vst(i)'s. I don't care much about extra soundpacks and what not.

€129 for VST 2.4 support.

I would be very surprised if they allowed VST support in Reason Essentials

It only supports VST 2.4

UGKTpmRh.jpg

i used to really like reason, but haven't used it since 2.5. what's it like for controlling external gear these days?

It's usable but it's not as flexible as you'd think, where the CV cable routing is concerned (you have to make multiple MIDI instrument rack items if you want to control multiple MIDI CC events via cabling.

hmmmm, looks a bit convoluted...think i'll be sticking with logic/numerology

It only supports VST 2.4

UGKTpmRh.jpg

i used to really like reason, but haven't used it since 2.5. what's it like for controlling external gear these days?

It's usable but it's not as flexible as you'd think, where the CV cable routing is concerned (you have to make multiple MIDI instrument rack items if you want to control multiple MIDI CC events via cabling.

hmmmm, looks a bit convoluted...think i'll be sticking with logic/numerology

Yeah, it's definitely convoluted (if you wanna work with the cabling). You can control CC events by the usual parameter lanes paradigm, but then, what's the point in using Reason to sequence stuff?

The thing that baffled me about Reason is that it even exists in the first place. Hardware at the time of its inception was even harder to use so the software built at the time was made to make music making easy. So why would I pay for a piece of software that gives me many of the same headaches that hardware does? The software was there to streamline the whole process.

I agree that it's a great learning tool for people that may not have access to hardware, but if you want to make music as quickly and efficiently as you can, Reason may not be the way to go.

All of that on top of not supporting third party VST's really turned me off of it.

The thing that baffled me about Reason is that it even exists in the first place. Hardware at the time of its inception was even harder to use so the software built at the time was made to make music making easy. So why would I pay for a piece of software that gives me many of the same headaches that hardware does? The software was there to streamline the whole process.

I agree that it's a great learning tool for people that may not have access to hardware, but if you want to make music as quickly and efficiently as you can, Reason may not be the way to go.

All of that on top of not supporting third party VST's really turned me off of it.

Reason (and ReBirth too, really) came out at the height of skeuomorphic design, so part of it's appeal was very likely the trendy look. But I kinda disagree with you about it being as much of a headache as hardware.

You didn't have to actually mess around with the cabling if you didn't want to (although, before the merge of Record into Reason, you did have to mess around with chaining mixers together if you were using more than 16 instruments).

Ehhh. You actually do have a point, but I still don't think Reason was as much of a headache as actual hardware (Reason had instant save and recall of patches, configuration, etc)

I think Propellerhead really started losing it around the time that Record came out, which they charged as a separate product. They eventually merged it into Reason, but there was no reason to spin it off as a separately purchased add-on except to generate revenue.

Then the Rack Extensions thing came out, which I think was really bad. Prior to the Rack Extensions, each major Reason update brought new devices and synths and stuff. With Rack Extensions, it meant that major Reason updates didn't come with new devices/synths, and they could instead charge money for these, the cost of each is almost as much as an upgrade license for Reason.

i haven't used reason but i can imagine it would allow you to save configurations of rack units and synths and recall them instantly so straight away that would make it less of a headache than actual hardware. plus easy midi mapping and whatnot. again haven't used it but they would be bonkers to not have these features.

Yeah it definitely has this. You can do it a couple of ways - either have all your gubbins hooked up together and then just saved along with the Reason song file, or you can combine everything into their Combinator unit and then you can load that is a patch in any song.

rack extensions would be cool if they provided a comprehensive toolkit for allowing people to make their own stuff and have it fit in with the reason design aesthetic (so propellerheads could supply users with their own knobs and faders and plates and whatnot). and then people could decide if they want to charge $ for something they make or not. also would be cool to allow people to use an LCD screen for displaying parameters as a generic interface for an extension, like how some vsts don't have their own interfaces and your daw makes it's own bare-bones one instead. 

I don't think the API is open to anyone, you have to register as a developer and have them approve your application. No idea if you have to pay a fee or anything either.

I like Halion 6 a lot....fing mental wavetable functions...amazing sampler...does basically everything

Serum is also great.

The new Reason players are super fun. Hopefully they'll keep releasing lots more stuff like that. 

i do a lot in reason mainly because it's what i'm used and it's what i've accumulated the most sounds/patches in. i think most of the debates around DAWs just come down to subjective stuff. that being said, i think reason would be better if they abandoned the effort to make it a recording tool. there's not enough space between garageband and protools and all the recording stuff just gets in the way of everything else. at leas the vst thing will kill the extensions which never fresh enough to warrant the price.

I really like ABL3 connected to matrix to change parameters....parsec is sick...i generally stick to the few extra propellerhead releases as there are sooo many horrible UIs on the non native developer front

halion 6 is stupidly over priced....and in some ways not even close to the functionality and ease of renoise's sampler....but jesus the wavetable is immense.....drop in the sound of me eating an apple....out comes skrillex stabbing diplo in the face with a glow stick....

drop in the sound of me eating an apple....out comes skrillex stabbing diplo in the face with a glow stick....

haha, nice visual

I was just on the Propellerhead site and noticed this:

NEjNYy8.png

Why the fuck would they want to promote Reason based on the fact that it was used for that piece of shit game? If they were smart they would have kept their distance... that game is not something to be proud of.

idk, I haven't heard the music but it could be good on its own. A really shitty game can have great music. Also, I think Propellerhead was just scrambling to find something notable that was made on Reason. 

I was just on the Propellerhead site and noticed this:

NEjNYy8.png

Why the fuck would they want to promote Reason based on the fact that it was used for that piece of shit game? If they were smart they would have kept their distance... that game is not something to be proud of.

I think Propellerhead was just scrambling to find something notable that was made on Reason.

lol man that is some sad shit.

Archived