IGNORED

Can you play cassettes?

oscillik

I have a friend that records long feedback chains to tape and then gives them away as presents. I already have two, and I've never heard them. I really want to listen to them  :cattears:

I have a friend that records long feedback chains to tape and then gives them away as presents. I already have two, and I've never heard them. I really want to listen to them  :cattears:

That sounds pretty sweet actually.

I've got a pretty badass little portable tape walkman, variable pitch and speed and such, that I got for use to record tunes on and warp. It's not the best quality though so listening back to tapes on it is a subpar experience, but it's all I've got for the few tapes I've kept/bought (half old country tapes, half stuff from Joshuatx's Wood Between Worlds label). 

Own a couple, don't own a deck though.

Don't exactly collect them either, they're usually bonus buys if the format is offered with an album I want on vinyl.

Prime example: the new Slowdive album.

Edited by NorthernFusion

i nabbed my parents nakamichi when i went to college (they hardly used it) but it has since stopped working. I guess I should get it repaired but I don't really care enough. I own three tapes.

I have a small amount of tapes.  Bought a nice Denon deck a couple of years ago with the idea that I was going to build an old component stereo like I used to have in the 90s.  Still gotta find the right amp and speakers though.

Absolutely. I love the sound cassettes have. Most likely because I grew up listening to all of my favourite music on them.

I have:

Some crappy Sony tape deck/stereo/cd player

Tascam Porta One 4 Track Cassette Recorder

Sony TC-WA8ES - It was given to me for free by a friend and I really don't know what I have here. I should figure it out and start using it as my friend said he bought it in the $900 range brand new in the 90s.

My old Jutan Walky Music JWS 565B portable stereo cassette player (It doesn't send sound out of the headphone jack though)

Yup, can play and listen to them too, although I've got only some crappy player but it does its job. Occult Research releases (and EDM D4) might be the biggest reasons I'm still so into tapes. Play them regularly, they are actually quite fun to toy around with.

On a side note I agree with oscillik, I neither can't understand people for buying some ultra limited pressings and not to play them. pfffff, music is meant to be heard. It's not just some hipster decoration detail or investment you can post some pics about to show your instagram followers.

Edited by Grumpy Old Daddy

Have a few players, mostly use my Tascam 424MkIII to rip old tapes. I found this top of the line Tascam 122 in a garbage bin last summer, in the process of returning it to its former, gloriously working state:

DSC_1525.jpg

I mostly play some old cassettes I have and then Phono Ghosts/Neil Scrivin and Slashing Cousin stuff.

Have a few players, mostly use my Tascam 424MkIII to rip old tapes. I found this top of the line Tascam 122 in a garbage bin last summer, in the process of returning it to its former, gloriously working state:

DSC_1525.jpg

:wang:

I have a walkman and a dual cassette player at home. Need better speakers though. My last car used to have a tape deck but I traded it in last year and the new one doesn't have a deck. So I'm limited to my walkman for now. I'm on the same boat as Purlieu. I used to buy tape up to around 1995 then started again about 5 years ago. Started my own cassette label along the way as well. https://bondingtapes.bandcamp.com/

until very recently I still made and played mixtapes quite regularly on account of driving a 1980s rustbucket. Not sure how much airtime my cassettes will get now the car's gone, but I'll keep using my tape decks for messing with samples when I make my shit hot traxxxx

I've never actually bought new cassette releases though

I have a Radio Shack deck, looks more like a voicemail machine. I used to record all sorts of bullshit back in high school..drum machine jams, synth experimentation, dj sets, and bad trips. Those tapes are laying around in boxes, should be good fun to relive one day