IGNORED

How to achieve this stutter/loop effect?

Let's say we've got a vocal sample that goes like: "Drop the bass and rock the house now!" (Just a made-up cheesy example!).
The sample lasts 1 bar and the task is to use various rhythmical stutters (looping parts in different time values as all those "glitch" plugins allow), in order to make it sound something like
"D-D-D-D-rop the bass aaaaaaannnnndddddd rock-rock-rock-rock-rock-rock the-th-the house noooooooow" which would now cover 4 bars.
I've tried various "glitch" plugins (Glitch, Stutter Edit, Sugar Byte's plug ins etc.) as an insert effect in the audio track, but the problem is that while they've got various loop/stutter parameters, after the stuttered/looped word/syllable ends (usually by releasing the midi note which triggers the effect), the vocal sample doesn't resume from this point but from the part the audio file has reached by then, as if the effect never took place.
So, If I stutter various points from the "drop" part for like, 2 secs, instead of having "the" coming up, the sample has reached "rock" by then, which also cancels the whole idea of rhythmically extend the sample into 4 bars. Makes sense?
I am not trying to get the Akaizer effect (or simple timestretching of course) and I know this is possible by manually cutting up the audio file or process it with a sampler, but all these plugins can do way more complex stuff, so this should be possible? Any ways/settings to enable in those plugins (or a different one, for that matter) to achieve what I want? Thanks.

I understand your problem and want to know a solution to it myself. If you want it really rhythmical and it's not live, I think chopping and arranging is the best way.

Lol right, I knew I'd get replies like these but WATMM... I don't think the sins I've committed in this life are bad enough to deserve Limp Fucking Bizkit in my thread!

I mean, if you wanted to go all 90's on me, you could at least throw this at my direction:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAr9TjXoQQQ

Yeah, mainstream 90's dnb, but at least better than the shit MTV and the likes play these days... And hey, it stutters! :emotawesomepm9:

Seriously though, I didn't ask how to be Richard Devine or something, and yes, I do use manual edits as I've said... but I wouldn't mind the additional immediate, multieffect options you can have with a plugin like that, at least when I deal with plain syllable chopping, plus I can't believe something as simple as that is not possible with those plugins... I mean, I hesitated to ask this, thinking it'd be something completely obvious to do with something like Stutter Edit.

Sounds like something you'd do with a tracker. Breakcore people do all that time stretching and stuttering with the drums if I understood correctly.

Yeah it's something that honestly doing 'manual' editing (either using the sample offset command in a tracker environment, or automating a sampler's start position & loop length in a DAW or hardware environment) would give you the most control. The problem with having it as an audio effect plugin is (as you've found) is the buffer would need to dynamically grow whenever you trigger the stutter. Another alternative would be granular synthesis (eg The Mangle http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/ ) using the sample you want shuffling around

Then you can easily do shenanigans like:

or

It's weird though.. Like feeding a whole salmon into a meat mincer and expecting it to come out filleted and all.

use wavesets by trevor wishart.

Yeah, was going to say there are a bunch of CDP processes that excel at this kinda stuff.  

well, that was made with supercollider. There is a quark for wavesets. Fuck dealing with cdp. Wavesets realtime. Or timestretch then add a gating effect

Let's say we've got a vocal sample that goes like: "Drop the bass and rock the house now!" (Just a made-up cheesy example!).The sample lasts 1 bar and the task is to use various rhythmical stutters (looping parts in different time values as all those "glitch" plugins allow), in order to make it sound something like"D-D-D-D-rop the bass aaaaaaannnnndddddd rock-rock-rock-rock-rock-rock the-th-the house noooooooow" which would now cover 4 bars.I've tried various "glitch" plugins (Glitch, Stutter Edit, Sugar Byte's plug ins etc.) as an insert effect in the audio track, but the problem is that while they've got various loop/stutter parameters, after the stuttered/looped word/syllable ends (usually by releasing the midi note which triggers the effect), the vocal sample doesn't resume from this point but from the part the audio file has reached by then, as if the effect never took place.So, If I stutter various points from the "drop" part for like, 2 secs, instead of having "the" coming up, the sample has reached "rock" by then, which also cancels the whole idea of rhythmically extend the sample into 4 bars. Makes sense?I am not trying to get the Akaizer effect (or simple timestretching of course) and I know this is possible by manually cutting up the audio file or process it with a sampler, but all these plugins can do way more complex stuff, so this should be possible? Any ways/settings to enable in those plugins (or a different one, for that matter) to achieve what I want? Thanks.

I think most of the buffer/glitch plugins would need the audio you want to process chopped over the 4-bars you want the effect over and either program the effects onboard sequencer or trigger midi notes to fill in the various effects - so chop the first section and program the stutter accordingly then as it stops processing ad the next phrase or word, repeat the effect trigger addition etc etc - you will struggle to achieve what you want over 4-bars with feeding it a single bar of audio or 4-bars of the same 1-bar loop.

Archived