IGNORED

HKE - Sequence 777 (7 Albums across 7 Labels)

From the lush ambient soundscapes of 2015′s HK to last year’s ghostly Omnia, London-based producer and Dream Catalogue founder HKE has created some of the most detailed and forward thinking electronic music of the past decade. Earlier this year, he released the excellent Dragon Soul on Olde English Spelling Bee, a 12-track masterwork that blended the high tech electronic synthesis of his previous albums with themes of dark spirituality and rebirth. Today, MMJ is extremely proud to announce that the enigmatic experimentalist will follow that record up with one of his biggest projects to date.
Sequence 777 will see the producer releasing 7 different albums of 7 new tracks across 7 different labels. Containing 49 songs in total, the entire thing took only two months to complete. “For the majority of the tracks here, I hit render once I felt they were done and closed the project file without saving, to ensure I wouldn’t go back and edit further,” he tells MMJ in an exclusive interview. “This wasn’t done out of laziness, something nobody could ever accuse me of, but rather just a desire to go completely raw with my music and make whatever I wanted to make, as free as a bird, not overthinking things and just going with my gut on everything.”
Soon after he finished all of the songs for the project, a draft took place (on what was dubbed as “draft day”) inside a Twitter DM group chat featuring HKE, myself, and all 7 of the labels (Antifur, BLCR Laboratories, Tekres, Kudatah, H.V.R.F. Central Command, House of the Leg, and Shut_Ins) that would be participating in Sequence 777. “The idea for involving 7 labels and conducting a draft came from a desire to see a more masculine element in music culture and the vapour scene – the idea of sporting competition, high energy, dark, futuristic and aggressive sounds are all things I am personally fond of – going back to things like dubstep wars and grime battles on pirate radio back in the day, all things that were a big inspiration to me musically in my earlier days of producing and still have an effect on my approach today,” he says.
Less ambient and more raw and in line with UK dance music traditions, 777 is a gripping combination of bassy noise cuts and rowdy club-oriented tracks. “It’s mostly unthinking, raw as fuck, unrefined and unpolished stuff,” the producer tells us. “Just straight up real world hardvapour and ghost tech bangers interspersed with some experimental bits.”
tumblr_inline_opregtxazw1rvgpz7_1280.png
There are plenty of collaborations featured on here as well, including guest appearances from Deep State, Henry Wong, Wolf, Mod-Comm 81, Raj Kapoor, Somnus, Halo Acid, Sangam, and others.
To coincide with the announcement, HKE has also granted us an exclusive premiere of a song taken from the first album in the series, No Man Is God. The four-minute “God Form” is a light piece of futurist house, with luminous, hypnotic chords and a manipulated vocal sample that recalls the early days of UK garage. Stream it here:

“I’m blessed to be able to work with all these 7 labels which I am a fan of individually that understand these whims & impulses I have and lucky that they all ran with the idea when I asked them to be a part of this project,” he adds. “In turn, this set of releases is as much about them as it is about me, reflecting the tastes and curation of the labels involved in choosing from a wide palette of sounds.”
HKE also says that “in this idea of friendly competition and aggressiveness we find a fraternal unity of sorts – hard unity, if you will.”
Find the tracklisting/info for each individual album down below. There will be a limited cassette run of 111 tapes per release. A follow up digital-only album, entitled SQ777-0, will be released on December 12 via Dream Catalogue’s sister label Pyramids, serving as the official epilogue to Sequence 777.

Sequence 777 tracklisting + info:

SQ777-1: No Man Is God
BLCR Laboratories 
July 7
1. God Form
2. Pure Power
3. Shiva
4. Flower
5. Broken (ft. Deep State)
6. Choke Out
7. Blurry

SQ777-2: Heel Aesthetic
H.V.R.F. Central Command
July 28
1. Fuck Off If You Don’t Like It
2. Musashi
3. Hard v777.777 (ft. Henry Wong)
4. Peach
5. Red Aura
6. Lamb
7. Fashion

SQ777-3: Emotionless Passion
Kudatah
August 18
1. Intro
2. Eye
3. Manila
4. Hard Light (ft. Wolf)
5. Keito Ni
6. Holy Machine
7. White Aura

SQ777-4: High Kinetic Energy
Antifur
September 8
1. Lost 2
2. Girls (ft. MOD-COMM 81)
3. Anxiety
4. Zoku
5. Delhi (ft. Raj Kapoor)
6. Infidel (ft. Somnus)
7. Dragon Form HKE (The Greatest Of All Time)

SQ777-5: Modern Esoteric
House of the Leg
September 29
1. There Is No Rest (ft. Halo Acid)
2. Real World
3. International
4. Id Merger
5. I’m Broken
6. Kalos
7. Gold Aura

SQ777-6: 16-Cell
SHUT_INS
October 20
1. Pondlife
2. Black Aura
3. Mind Syncer
4. Crying Angel (ft. Trends and Sven K)
5. Shenzhen Fog
6. Circular (ft. AUT2M)
7. Moon Ritual

SQ777-7: Sacred Code (Encrypted)
Tekres
November 10
1. Inertia Circus
2. Lullaby (ft. Sangam)
3. CXLI
4. Mirrored Dream
5. Time
6. Diavolo

7. Numbers (ft. Pippo)

This is pretty crazy, shades of the Drexciyan 7 Storms (although I'm sure the music won't sound anything alike. Hope the tunes are good!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived