IGNORED

The Focus Group - Stop-Motion Happening

where's this news from? i can't see any updates on the Ghost Box facebook or website.

The Focus Group is my favourite project on the label and i loooved The Elektrik Carousel, so i'm psyched!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I've listened to this a couple of times today. I ended up just springing for the digitals. It's a pretty decent album mostly because it's full of lots of ideas. The tracks are mostly very brief indeed - and that provides some of the album's charms.

yup. listening to this all day (well, kinda all night) but it's a ping pong full of ideas. don't know what to think? it's really like nothing i ever heard? someone help me

Out of the two "main guys" on Ghost Box, I think Jon's noodlings and library tracks are superior to Julian's. This just seems really disparate, although the two albums he did with Broadcast are some of my favorites.

yup. listening to this all day (well, kinda all night) but it's a ping pong full of ideas. don't know what to think? it's really like nothing i ever heard? someone help me

Out of the two "main guys" on Ghost Box, I think Jon's noodlings and library tracks are superior to Julian's. This just seems really disparate, although the two albums he did with Broadcast are some of my favorites.

I dunno. I really quite like this new work. The brevity of the tracks means that none of them really out stay their welcome.  I sort of think the album is like a compilation of soundtracks from imaginary 70s British movies that never got made or pieces of music that exist in some alternate past that we never knew. They've got an unfinished, unpolished quality to them that is really intriguing.

^^^ i agree. i love the sound of the songs being unpolished and random. like you're switching channels betwix children programming and odd-nod sci-fi. 

i love how julian has kept his sound the same yet new and fun. 

i love the short tracks he does. it's like having a whole album of BoC's 'microtracks'.

the new album sounds great. it could equal The Elektrik Carousel given a few more spins!

i love the short tracks he does. it's like having a whole album of BoC's 'microtracks'.

the new album sounds great. it could equal The Elektrik Carousel given a few more spins!

I've found that the very few tracks that don't work for me are the longer ones. The shorter tracks are disorientating with a sinister undercurrent - the qualities I always enjoy most about Ghostbox.

One comes away from this album with a sense of wondering just what you've actually been listening to.

Archived