IGNORED

Eden Grey - "Apocalypse"

Gamma Mine has returned with a 56 minute long Serge modular session (from EMS, Stockholm) by Eden Grey.

Hand-numbered haemoglobin red C60 cassettes are available from Gamma Mine's BandCamp, Norman Records and Juno.

Extracts from the session can be heard below:

165244.jpg

Norman Records love it:

Fledgling cassette/ digital imprint Gamma Mine hit their second release, hot on the heels of NYZ’s ‘DRNH’ tape. This one is from Eden Grey with her soundtrack to the (hopefully not impending) apocalypse. As you would imagine with such a title, and you know, dealing with subject matter like the end of the world/civilization -- which basically equates to lots of death - then this is gonna be pretty unnerving to say the least. And it bloody well is - at times terrifying. I’m half expecting the lid to pop off the top of my house and me and my cat to get sucked up in a blue tractor beam in some pant soiling like scene from War of The Worlds.

These epic work was recorded at the prestigious Elektronmusik Studion, Stockholm, Sweden, November 2016 using Serge Modular Synthesizer. Which on evidence of this cassette is the perfect tool in the hands of Eden Grey to create her frequently disturbing and vividly realised and executed vision of the end of all things. ‘Part 1’ has chilling sirens wailing - a warning and call to arms. Some of the sounds she conjures sound truly tortured as though they were the collective cries of pain and disbelief of all life on this planet. Some of the dystopian groaning sounds particularly are reminiscent of Chris Carter’s work in Throbbing Gristle, as is the very pure analogue sound of the machine which gives the overall aesthetic something of a “classic” olde electronic music charm - which means you’d be forgiven for thinking this was unearthed from the late 70’s -- which I mean in a very complimentary sense.

‘Part 2’ is where the shit really goes down - we’re talking mass destruction - which obviously is not cool, but it’s a thrilling listen in the same way as watching a science fiction film depicting the same theme. I definitely get the sense here that (quite unbelievably) humans aren’t actually responsible for the end of earth as we know it, but lifeforms and machines we’re yet to make contact with - ones with weapons that make the earth's military look like toys. Massive cannons that will vaporise you into a few particles of dust. A truly menacing 56 minute piece of electronic music.

Archived