IGNORED

RIP Chris Cornell

Blir

I rinsed the absolute shit out of the first Audioslave album. Never really got into Soundgarden when I was in my grungy phase for some reason, always thought Black Hole Sun was a bit overrated but he had an amazing voice. Even if his lyrics were shit.

Goodnight sweet prince.

im having a really shitty week and this news just made it shittier. badmotorfinger is the best thing to come out of grunge and tracks like Black Hole Sun were my jam when i was an angsty teen. absolutely gutted. rip.

Most rock music bores me nowadays but I was really into his music in music in middle school. Really great voice. RIP.

Also, saw that it might have been a suicide which makes it much worse.

"Sources tell Local 4 Cornell's wife called a family friend and asked him to check on the singer. That friend forced open the hotel room door where Cornell was found dead in the bathroom with something around his neck.

Sources said it appears to be a suicide."

I remember as an 8- year old kid becoming absolutely immersed in "Black Hole Sun" - surreal lyrics, hypnotic guitar tones, etc. - it's kind of a dated, arguably cliche song in retrospect but I still love it. His vocals are the centerpiece of that song.

Audioslave is one of the most understated and solid rock bands of the 00s. One of those bands I realized I would readily listen to on the radio even though I never really go into them. Completely understand those who were huge fans of Cornells work. 

52. He was only a few months younger than my dad.  :sad:

Really sad if he killed himself - seemed to be fine, with concert and television appearances just before and on the day he died.

Extremely sad for his wife and three children...

Was never a huge Soundgarden/Audioslave fan, but his music was the backdrop to my 20's along with all the other 90's artists of the time.

Shit :( Soundgarden was the first band I really, really got into. Got everything of theirs I could get my hands on right up to Down on the Upside. There's so much more to them than "Black Hole Sun". 

And only a month after Mika Vainio? What the fuck. 

Last song at the Fillmore last night. Cover of "In my time of dying". One of those strange things...

I listen to his solo cover of Thank You by Zeppelin almost daily, it's just one of those songs that haunts me sometimes until I hear it.  First heard him cover the song on Howard Stern years ago.  The mans voice ruptures my skin and I'm just kind of fed up with this shit.

Last song at the Fillmore last night. Cover of "In my time of dying". One of those strange things...

Just reported on the radio that they are looking into possible suicide.

:(

"Grunge" doesn't and never did even really make sense to describe Soundgarden.  I mean, it was a media-invented term that didn't really mean anything outside of advertising boardrooms in general, and was slapped on any band who liked old fuzz and chorus pedals and dressed like 1977 Neil Young, but it especially didn't make sense for those guys, even at their pre-fame grungiest.

Terrible news.

yeah cornell seemed to be respected by almost everyone even if a lot of people, as we're seeing here, weren't always the biggest fans of their music. sad news. 

I paid my respects in the celebrity death thread, but I wanna get in on the Cornell love in this one so I'mma put it here too:

Chris Cornell?  Suicide?  Really?  Fuck.  It's crazy how many of my biggest musical influences go that route.  He probably had the biggest impact on my musical formative years from age 11-14.  I always loved how I could never predict where his songs would go, or what chords he'd use.  He'd often use combinations that I'd never heard in any other song.  That's something that I tried to adopt early on, largely because of him.  Everything he did between Badmotorfinger and Euphoria Morning was gold.   I didn't care for much for his work with Audioslave, or his subsequent solo albums.  But that Soundgarden reunion album picked right back up at the same high level of quality where they left off.  He was extraordinarily gifted, both as a vocalist and songwriter.  It's so crazy that someone can be that talented, have it be recognized by the rest of the world, have kids, and still go the suicide route.  Makes me worry about people I know who don't have the success, but still have the depression.

Also, Black Hole Sun is not overrated.  That's one of the most musically unique hits of all time.  There is not another song like it.  

officially ruled suicide. no auto erotic

DETROIT - The Wayne County Medical Examiner has complete the autopsy for Chris Cornell who was found dead  Wednesday night inside his Detroit hotel bathroom.

Cornell's cause of death has been determined as hanging by suicide. Sources tell Local 4 he was found with a band around his neck.

I thought about him either last night or before. Im not a fan. I had no reason to think of him, but this isn't the first time Ive had a premonition

In hindsight, I think this man's music helped me get through teenage depression in the 90s.  There were certainly no adults around that were helpful.  

This is such a shock, because he seemed so level-headed and matter of fact about everything.  To think he might have let depression get the better of him makes it harder.  That poor young family he has left behind.

Archived