IGNORED

Grizzly Bear - Painted ruins

I've listened to past albums and would always have a few songs I absolutely loved with the rest of it being largely forgettable. This album however, start to finish just has me engaged the entire time, and always sounds a little better with repeat listens. And also, as was mentioned multiple times in the thread, the drumming here is magical. I really hope this is a turning point and not a peak as I definitely will be looking out for whatever comes next.

I've listened to past albums and would always have a few songs I absolutely loved with the rest of it being largely forgettable.

Yeah. This was the first Grizzly Bear album I'd heard from start to finish and I fucking loved it. Proceeded to check out their previous releases but wasn't as impressed. Shields is decent enough, but only a few tracks on Veckatimest actually managed to grip me. Think I may stick with that one a bit more before delving even further into their back catalog.

I've listened to past albums and would always have a few songs I absolutely loved with the rest of it being largely forgettable.

Yeah. This was the first Grizzly Bear album I'd heard from start to finish and I fucking loved it. Proceeded to check out their previous releases but wasn't as impressed. Shields is decent enough, but only a few tracks on Veckatimest actually managed to grip me. Think I may stick with that one a bit more before delving even further into their back catalog.

Veckatimest is definitely a slow-burner; give it time and some repeated listens, and it will unfold its delights for you.

Actually right there with you. I couldn't stop streaming it and I just bought the 2LP. Its very nice package and - just feels super solid throughout the tunes, the package and the LPs. 

• 2 years later...

this album is fantastic front to back.  i had kinda forgot about it but put it on over the weekend and am super enamored with all the great melodies that had been stuck in my head from a few years ago.  the songwriting here is, imo, more inspired than shields and more mature than veckatemist.

Yep it's definitely one of my favourite LPs from the last couple of years too, still getting regular plays 2 years after release.

Must be mellowing with age I guess. Is it wrong that I also much prefer the new Tame Impala album over the new Squarepusher?

Archived