IGNORED

Manchester Bomb Attack

Soloman Tump

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I heard this last night, tuned it to BBC talk radio.. eye witnesses were calling in, breaking up in tears.. just fucking horrible.

my best friend's girlfriend lives a few minutes from there.

a dude from Manchester I follow on twitter can't find his little brother who was there..

been there only once (ae tour..) but loved taking in the city vibes.. walked past that arena, still remember being impressed by overly massively overdone hand rails at the stairs leading down to the road from the stadium..

fuck

Just had to explain this to my daughter as all her friends will be talking about it at school tomorrow.  Bit hard to explain when you don't really understand it yourself.

Just terrible.

Awful. Brits, do you think this will influence the election IF and I say IF it turns out to be a religiously inspired terrorist attack?

Awful. Brits, do you think this will influence the election IF and I say IF it turns out to be a religiously inspired terrorist attack?

tbh it'll influence it in some way regardless, but I am hoping not

surreal walking to work today, feels like 1/3 of the centre cordoned off, we have police and all the journalists just outside the office, odd mood in the city

cannot even fathom what sort of maniac targets a place with kids and families

don't think there's any if about it...it's been referred to as a terror attack since last night. and yes, it will probably fuel more right-wing, anti-immigration sentiment from lots of people.

Yep, there'll be a knee jerk move to the right as the conservatives start banging on about protection and security over the next three weeks.

news here talks about a suicide bomber with a selfmade bomb. similar to the boston bombing.

really awful news this. 

I caught some of the news about this right before bed, and this was my first thought too.  I was at the Boston bombing (we'd moved a couple blocks down by the time it went off but still close enough to feel the blast) and everything I saw and heard in the reports was pretty much the same.

Horrible news, and yeah, it's going to be exploited for political ends as usual.  Doesn't matter who did it or why.

Yep, there'll be a knee jerk move to the right as the conservatives start banging on about protection and security over the next three weeks.

As soon as I saw the news (was seeing it pretty much in real time on Twitter) I thought to myself

"Hmmm, interesting. Corbyn is being smeared in the press over the past few days due to IRA stuff, and now this happens."

And of course what does The Sun do today?

how did the tabloids react?

Pretty much how you would expect.

To be honest, the media makes me fucking sick every time something like this happens. Because it's non-stop coverage, leading questions, etc etc etc. That's why, last night while there was very little information, an 'eyewitness' was interviewed saying that armed police stormed the area and then the eyewitness heard gunfire.

Which they didn't, because there was no-one to fire upon as the suicide bomber committed suicide.

They imagined it, because they were in an extremely high-stress situation, and they've pretty much been conditioned.

how did the tabloids react?

Pretty much how you would expect.

To be honest, the media makes me fucking sick every time something like this happens. Because it's non-stop coverage, leading questions, etc etc etc. That's why, last night while there was very little information, an 'eyewitness' was interviewed saying that armed police stormed the area and then the eyewitness heard gunfire.

Which they didn't, because there was no-one to fire upon as the suicide bomber committed suicide.

They imagined it, because they were in an extremely high-stress situation, and they've pretty much been conditioned.

Disgraceful tabloid filth as usual. 

don't think there's any if about it...it's been referred to as a terror attack since last night. and yes, it will probably fuel more right-wing, anti-immigration sentiment from lots of people.

Every attack like this seems to be followed by this kind of political fallout. More propaganda ammunition for reactionary xenophobes.

Regardless, it takes a special kind of lowlife scum to carry out an attack like this. All I can do is helplessly click the "Sad" reaction on FB.

News on our side of the pond is that ISIS is claiming responsibility, and that it was a single man with a self detonating device. Still nothing conclusive as far as I cn tell. 

Truly horrible shit. 

was reading about this last night on reddit. lot's of horrific 1st person accounts.  chaos. apparently security didn't check anyone's bag as they entered.  i'm guessing if they had it just would've meant the bomber triggering the bomb at the entrance instead of inside the concert.. weird that he waiting until the end of the show to blow himself up. 

a girl said it was right in front of her and she was covered in blood flesh and feces and trying to get it all out of her hair. fucking hell. sorry manchester.  scary for all the parents and kids. glad the locals came together and made spaces for the kids to hang out and wait to find their parents. 

weird that he waiting until the end of the show to blow himself up. 

he was a "heathen" himself (ISIS standards) and probably stuck around to watch the show (dancers jiggling and whatnot). 

Honestly though, he was a young guy so probably surrounded by all those young people he was having second thoughts or something?

was reading about this last night on reddit. lot's of horrific 1st person accounts.  chaos. apparently security didn't check anyone's bag as they entered.  i'm guessing if they had it just would've meant the bomber triggering the bomb at the entrance instead of inside the concert.. weird that he waiting until the end of the show to blow himself up. 

a girl said it was right in front of her and she was covered in blood flesh and feces and trying to get it all out of her hair. fucking hell. sorry manchester.  scary for all the parents and kids. glad the locals came together and made spaces for the kids to hang out and wait to find their parents. 

The bomb wasn't triggered inside the concert, it was triggered in a publicly accessible area between Victoria Station and the Box Office. There would conceivably be no checks done there, because it's simply a public area.

So it's likely that the bomber wasn't even in attendance at the gig at all.

And as such, security checks would've done nothing. Perpetuating this 'narrative' only furthers pointless security theatre.

The bomb wasn't triggered inside the concert, it was triggered in a publicly accessible area between Victoria Station and the Box Office. There would conceivably be no checks done there, because it's simply a public area.

huh, interesting. That's absent from media around these parts. Seems an important detail to leave out. Furthering a narrative indeed.

Archived