Sign in to follow this  
Time Tourist

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

6 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

I'm curious, do you guys actually rate syro and post syro stuff as his best work? (subjectively obv)

edit: or maybs better phrased: do u listen to his later work more than his earlier work? (I just wanna know if I rlly am a bit of an outlier in this respect).

One of the biggest strength of Rich's output is the wide spectrum that it covers. In that sense, there isn't really any point of comparing Classics to Saw II to Drukqs to Syro, since they all represent totally different styles from each other. I tend to listen to post syro stuff as much as his other works from earlier periods. OK, of course there are some dispersion between the eras. So, in that sense I guess I like most his earlier output all the way up to 1995. And imho Drukqs is the best piece of written music in history so that's a no-brainer. But then again, compared to stuff that people occasionally tend to regard as the pinnacle of his career, such as RDJ/CTD and even Analords, yeah I prefer Syro & co to them. Especially Syro and Cheetah have special place in my heart. But is it his best stuff? Damn, if I had to choose my top five from the actual releases (not counting the dump because the comparison would be totally unfair)....

1.Drukqs

2. SOSW

3. ICBYD

4. Classics

5.....can't decide, could be Syro, Cheetah, CW LP or Rushup Edge. All in all, from all those nearly 900 separate tracks I've got, very few are bad. Again, that wide spectrum, man. Someone likes one era and next dude the other. So, as tired as it sounds, to each their own. Simply pick your favorite. lol, dunno if any of that even made any sense. :cat:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, donquixote said:

Sure he must get more than 50% as warp do eff all for their cut on the bonus stuff.

I wouldn't say that - the store has some neat features that even the Autechre store doesn't have (the random images, and diagnostic text), plus I highly doubt Richard himself is uploading these - probably a Bleep/WARPLord tasked with maintaining these stores with the latest from the artists.

18 hours ago, donquixote said:

I've always wondered what the deal may look like on the store and what Richs cut might look like on bonus tracks. Sure he must get more than 50% as warp do eff all for their cut on the bonus stuff.

(Edit: Assuming he's on a 50/50 deal as that's standard. He ain't standard tho so might well get more than this)

Is a 50/50 deal standard?

Either way, Warp do quite a lot - from pressing to distribution it is quite a task. Plus on top of that, they market the fuck out of stuff (Blimps, tube ads, instore visuals, music videos, etc).
The Bleep store is just a smart move by Warp as with any brand selling direct to consumer...You get the markup which record stores would normally take.

Maybe Rich does have a better deal than others but then he probably gives a lot of that leverage up as he does fuck all of the marketing side himself unlike other artists...No social presence, barely any interviews, etc.
Wasn't there an interview with someone from Warp who was saying that he is a nightmare on that stuff as he just wants to make music and nothing else. Could be wrong...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DucksOpinion said:

Either way, Warp do quite a lot - from pressing to distribution it is quite a task. Plus on top of that, they market the fuck out of stuff (Blimps, tube ads, instore visuals, music videos, etc).
The Bleep store is just a smart move by Warp as with any brand selling direct to consumer...You get the markup which record stores would normally take.

Maybe Rich does have a better deal than others but then he probably gives a lot of that leverage up as he does fuck all of the marketing side himself unlike other artists...No social presence, barely any interviews, etc.
Wasn't there an interview with someone from Warp who was saying that he is a nightmare on that stuff as he just wants to make music and nothing else. Could be wrong...

Just to clarify before it gets lost further. I was talking about the bonus track stuff:

18 hours ago, donquixote said:

They also don't have the peel session on the Phex store. This could mean nothing tho.

I've always wondered what the deal may look like on the store and what Richs cut might look like on bonus tracks. Sure he must get more than 50% as warp do eff all for their cut on the bonus stuff.

(Edit: Assuming he's on a 50/50 deal as that's standard. He ain't standard tho so might well get more than this)

Edited by donquixote
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DucksOpinion said:

Wasn't the blimp just a cleverly fotographed balloon though? (Doesn"t change anything about your point; just sayin'.)

9 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Wasn't the blimp just a cleverly fotographed balloon though? (Doesn"t change anything about your point; just sayin'.)

It was a branded blimp.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, MIXL2 said:

I'm curious, do you guys actually rate syro and post syro stuff as his best work? (subjectively obv)

edit: or maybs better phrased: do u listen to his later work more than his earlier work? (I just wanna know if I rlly am a bit of an outlier in this respect).

My favourite stuff is generally the 1991-1994 era - SAW1&2, SOSW, Classics, AB3, On, Caustic Window. Probably always will be as that lo-fi analogue sound just ticks all the boxes for me, and it gets the most plays in general. But I listen to the recent stuff quite a bit (probably more than his dnb era), because there's lots of magic to be found that hasn't been dulled by hundreds of plays.

• Like 4

Doublepost

Edited by purlieu

On 11/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, MIXL2 said:

I personally rate syro/post syro very highly. But to say its in any way comparable to other phases of releases would be chalk and cheese, its a very fresh approach to electronic music that has a huge amount of craftsmanship involved. I think the syro/late syro are simply bloody impressive, for completely different reasons to why druqks or SAW's are.

I do understand why some might not rate the later stuff so highly, it is a departure from the druqks era and definitely far from the early r&s/rephlex-y stuff, its all personal pref and i guess feeds from what you look for and enjoy about electronic music or just music in general.

xmas evet10 aint gonna to be a contemporary dancefloor banger like didgeridoo 😉 .  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DucksOpinion said:

It was a branded blimp.

Could we agree on blimp-shaped balloon? :rhubear3:

im in london today, what recordstores should i go to?🙄

13 minutes ago, DJ Latte said:

im in london today, what recordstores should i go to?🙄

Phonica, sister ray and sounds of the universe are all Soho so it's a good place to start. Has bleep still got a pop up in Dalston too?

edit: apparently Bleep is closed sorry 😞

Edited by donquixote

14 hours ago, IDEM said:

Could we agree on blimp-shaped balloon? :rhubear3:

how about a blimp-shaped branded balloon?

33 minutes ago, DucksOpinion said:

how about a blimp-shaped branded balloon?

You got yourself a deal, mate.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 9:41 AM, donquixote said:

Phonica, sister ray and sounds of the universe are all Soho so it's a good place to start. Has bleep still got a pop up in Dalston too?

edit: apparently Bleep is closed sorry 😞

Thanks! Will check them out!

Damn, these new ones on London are really good, esp the last two!

• Like 2

fingchords 🥝🍄✴️✳️🐳🦀🐿️🐼👽

Edited by very honest
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 3:12 AM, pissflaps said:

I wonder what "ALL Rephlex mate" means. It will include other artists that aren't afx?

TR 606 isn't even confirmed that it was Rich isn't it? I reckon it was rumored it was a collab with Mike, maybe even Grant was involved.

I would like love to see all the Rephlex discography on the shop, but since Rephlex artists now own the copyright of their music, they would need to ask every single person that was part of Rephlex, but it would be worth it as that site gets a lot of traffic and having it all there nicely ordered it's better than scattered across a ton of websites, and the artists would be able to make some revenue, again since Aphex Twin's site is going to get a lot more traffic than individual bandcamps set by each Rephlex artist. Or maybe a separate rephlex.warp.net site? With some unreleased stuff and so on. There were so many good records, I was just listening to Journey by TGP and feeling nostalgic. That was a nice song. I wonder where these guys are nowadays.

I'm glad RDJ didn't sign Boards of Canada to Rephlex, that would be a shit show now. Warp supports BOC with Blee, re-presses, merch, etc.

Or it coulda turned out like Squarepusher where he moved on to Warp but I feel like BOC woulda got lost in the mix back then.

15 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I'm glad RDJ didn't sign Boards of Canada to Rephlex, that would be a shit show now. Warp supports BOC with Blee, re-presses, merch, etc.

Or it coulda turned out like Squarepusher where he moved on to Warp but I feel like BOC woulda got lost in the mix back then.

Be lush if the aphex store did go like this tho. If he started to release new people's shit too. Like a weird little bandcamp site. 

Well 🥒 me, soundclown sections have been removed as well as rephlex section too. Was so drooling for the field day ambient track + other gems. Damn. Silver lining though, I can still see/download my Rushup Edge purchase from my account.

no way!

you have got to be shitting me, I literally wanted to buy Rushup Edge tomorrow!

Ffs. We are officially going backwards now. No vinyl, less tunes. FML.

Maybe they are taking it off right now to put everything there later
...or maybe not