IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

23 minutes ago, cern said:

Erase one of those "0" there and im good to go ? 

A quick browse tells me that as 12"s you would have to pay ~40-50 € each, so with 11 + binder + 10 I would say the lowest you could get to it is around the 600-700 € mark, not including p&p. I wouldn't even think of selling mine under 1000 €, so 250 € would be an insult.

• Sad 1

On 9/22/2021 at 2:01 PM, dcom said:

A quick browse tells me that as 12"s you would have to pay ~40-50 € each, so with 11 + binder + 10 I would say the lowest you could get to it is around the 600-700 € mark, not including p&p. I wouldn't even think of selling mine under 1000 €, so 250 € would be an insult.

how's this for an insult:

Spoiler

jk

5 minutes ago, KovalainenFanBoy said:

how's this for an insult

Just kidding? I really don't know what to do with that, as an aspie I have a rather dysfunctional humour interpreter.

Edited by dcom

• 2 months later...

Kinda odd he hasn't released anything lately, eh?

Collapse was the last official release (not including the live performance whitelabels and the Peel Session) and that was 2018, and it was 2014 for Syro.

Granted, he's nowhere near BOC's record for lack of output*, but I wonder why such a long gap? We know he's making music (or working on his back catalogue)... why not release any of it?

* As far as I am concerned, I fully suspect BOC have retired, and are not going to release anything and simply live off the royalties their existing catalogue produces. If it works for them, then great - not so much for fans wanting more output from them. Who knows - this could apply to Richard as well - I am sure he's financially comfortable to the point he doesn't have to release anything new and instead on making music for himself...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I dont man, lack of output? most bands release 3 albums. Even the old academic electronic artists hardly release anything. Id say the output has been tremendous. 

3 minutes ago, Virtekh said:

That's sad news all round if true!

Yeah, sorry to be a downer, but I can't help but think that way - maybe it's just the fan in me getting impatient...

1 minute ago, X4creek said:

i get not releasing new music but at least he used to upload to SoundCloud wtf suddenly happened??????

I suspect WARP got cross with him releasing all that for free which makes it harder for them to monetize it since most fans who really want it already have it and physical releases aren't what they used to be in terms of money makers.

2 minutes ago, marf said:

I dont man, lack of output? most bands release 3 albums. Even the old academic electronic artists hardly release anything. Id say the output has been tremendous. 

I think this is it, really - electronic music artists aren't like traditional musicians, so really this is par for the course - I mean, we basically waited 13 years between DrukQs and SYRO (although to be fair he did release a lot of non-Aphex Twin stuff in the interim). For awhile after SYRO, it seemed like the "good old days" (aka early 90's) was back and Richard was releasing stuff at a regular clip - but now it seems to have slowed down yet again. Who nose...

• Like 3

Also, he makes a lot of tracks to get to the diamonds. The Soundcloud stuff was great but he has an ear for what should be released publicly for sale. 

4 minutes ago, marf said:

Also, he makes a lot of tracks to get to the diamonds. The Soundcloud stuff was great but he has an ear for what should be released publicly for sale. 

While I somewhat agree with this, electronic music artists seems to have a higher quality level overall when it comes to their output versus traditional musicians - I'd say even Richard's rubies and sapphires are just as desired as his diamonds are (to continue with the metaphor)...

13 minutes ago, marf said:

Indeed, after Syro we had insane amounts of music, Fieldday and DFN 12"s, the soundcloud dump, the Bleepstore, etc. After Collapse we had the London 12" with two? new tracks, and don't forget all the new tracks played in his liveshows (that were also recorded in HQ), and a couple of new tracks on his soundcloud a year ago. 

There's quite a lot of those new tracks recorded at gigs: 

I'm still digesting all of the output from the last couple of years tbh. It's nothing compared to the post-Tuss draught tbh :^)

Still very keen for this one to get released myself:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As someone who has stalked, big spooky, wise fish, and had the fortune of hooking some of them, all I can say is. Patience is a virtue.

BOC though is in a league of their own. Like attempting to catch the world record Sailfish.

Edited by beerwolf

I really don't understand why people keep bringing up the money argument? Both AFX and BOC are surely set for the rest of their lives money wise, but it's not about that at all is it. The past two years have been pretty bleak and music helps some of us tremendously.. I remember when one of my best friends killed himself years back, like two days after that rdj started uploading things on soundcloud.. Every day was fucking agonising but getting a smol user18etc push message on my phone still brought in smiles.

maybe boc truly don't give a fuck, but I hope their next emotional equalizer is just around the corner :flower:

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't understand the financial reasoning either. Thing is, the last burst of releases, soundcloud included, followed this Kickstarter thing I can vaguely remember. ? 

I think he mentioned it back then as well. As if the realisation people still gave a damn got him to come out of the woodwork. So to speak. Perhaps we need to have another kind of Kickstarter type of event. Otherwise, he probably just keeps on living his life as he currently is. I imagine him being very content about it. In a positive way. But that's the thing, why put that happy life at stake with the stress of putting releases out there? To me, it makes sense if this is what keeps him from releasing more stuff. All the crap that comes with it. But the thing which got him to do it anyways was the Kickstarter thing. And that soundcloud stuff which followed. He was quite into responding to fans back then. That seems to have died down as well.

So my guess is, if we could repeat the kickstarter/soundcloud stuff, the releases will follow.

my 2 afx-chocolate cents

;D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scumtron said:

By releasing an album every 8 years and never play live? I don't think so.

No, by getting royalties from streaming platforms, music licensing, album sales, selling guns..

Until now perhaps, but set for the rest of their lives? I still don't think so. It's hard to find sales numbers for their albums, but I doubt that they can live comfortably of album sales and streaming if they don't have some other income.