IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

What is it about SAW 85-92 that feels like some untouchable magical thing where no artist would ever be able to draw from or recreate, maybe even Richard himself? Like this light heartedness, chillness and peacefulness floating around in the tunes. Part of me when I hear it is almost like man this is wholly unique and a holy grail. And the other part is like this is just really good ambient techno. But then when I'm like hmm what other "ambient techno" is out there like this? Nothing Ive found is in the same vein or even close. Closest stuff maybe Global Communication / Reload / Pritchard / some Orbital.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lane Visitor said:

What is it about SAW 85-92 that feels like some untouchable magical thing where no artist would ever be able to draw from or recreate, maybe even Richard himself?

Nothing Ive found is in the same vein or even close. Closest stuff maybe Global Communication / Reload / Pritchard / some Orbital.

for me it's about transcending the origins (i.e. a bunch of machines, devices) of the music to present something greater than the sum of the parts;  something that has a "persona" and captures and communicates an extra, human/spiritual dimension that exists beyond and can not be explained by the equipment used

a "good" artist (many) might achive that once, or sporadically

a "great" artist (g.com etc) does it consistently, for a whole album or sustained period of time

a "genius" (aphex?) does all that, while also being strikingly original, without any obvious or dominating precedent

hope that's not too pretentious, hah

Edited by xy_politics
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 8:51 AM, xy_politics said:

for me it's about transcending the origins (i.e. a bunch of machines, devices) of the music to present something greater than the sum of the parts;  something that has a "persona" and captures and communicates an extra, human/spiritual dimension that exists beyond and can not be explained by the equipment used

a "good" artist (many) might achive that once, or sporadically

a "great" artist (g.com etc) does it consistently, for a whole album or sustained period of time

a "genius" (aphex?) does all that, while also being strikingly original, without any obvious or dominating precedent

hope that's not too pretentious, hah

This is well said and couldn't agree more!

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, Lane Visitor said:

What is it about SAW 85-92 that feels like some untouchable magical thing where no artist would ever be able to draw from or recreate, maybe even Richard himself? Like this light heartedness, chillness and peacefulness floating around in the tunes. Part of me when I hear it is almost like man this is wholly unique and a holy grail. And the other part is like this is just really good ambient techno. But then when I'm like hmm what other "ambient techno" is out there like this? Nothing Ive found is in the same vein or even close. Closest stuff maybe Global Communication / Reload / Pritchard / some Orbital.

the geography of cornwall will explain a lot. it’s always been something i remembered pointers to in interviews over the decades. rephlex was started to issue what they were creating to counter how they found it hard to buy what they wanted. being remote, with plymouth the nearest big city, few record shops there in the 80s/90s. just enough connected to know and hear some stuff, not enough to know the full or wider picture. SAW and SOSW era always sounded like someone being slightly off in their interpretation of someone else’s styles, making something completely new in the process. you can hear elements of what was elsewhere in UK, UsA and italian house, acid and so on, all sprinkled in and coming out in a very individual way. the move to london or elsewhere that richard made always struck me as a change of dynamics, even personality as time went on. staying remote and disconnected would have probably kept more individuality than you can find when you begin to see other clear genre influences that were happening from things like HAB, that sounded more like being directly close to current trends.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, logboy said:

the geography of cornwall will explain a lot. it’s always been something i remembered pointers to in interviews over the decades. rephlex was started to issue what they were creating to counter how they found it hard to buy what they wanted. being remote, with plymouth the nearest big city, few record shops there in the 80s/90s. just enough connected to know and hear some stuff, not enough to know the full or wider picture. SAW and SOSW era always sounded like someone being slightly off in their interpretation of someone else’s styles, making something completely new in the process. you can hear elements of what was elsewhere in UK, UsA and italian house, acid and so on, all sprinkled in and coming out in a very individual way. the move to london or elsewhere that richard made always struck me as a change of dynamics, even personality as time went on. staying remote and disconnected would have probably kept more individuality than you can find when you begin to see other clear genre influences that were happening from things like HAB, that sounded more like being directly close to current trends.

Wow this is really fascinating and I don't doubt that analysis here at all, when I think about those 2 lps and how unique they are. And yup, HAB jumped right into UK jungle territory. So did Richard move to London around 95ish?

Edited by Lane Visitor
Correction

8 hours ago, Lane Visitor said:

Wow this is really fascinating and I don't doubt that analysis here at all, when I think about those 2 lps and how unique they are. And yup, HAB jumped right into UK jungle territory. So did Richard move to London around 95ish?

i think it was earlier, but remember those earlier / earliest releases probably constituted more 80s material done primarily prior to signing to warp / R+S or getting rephlex going. he went away to uni very very early 90s, and i remember SAW2 was the kind of material being finalised or mixed when in halls of residence, with some being later described as stripped down versions of long existing stuff. there’s apparently mostly a lag between recording and release, but not necessarily absolutely always.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2021 at 1:34 AM, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

yeah it's a damn shame. judging by the new shit he was dropping throughout his last tours, it seemed like he was gearing up to release his best material in years.

I'm late here but fuck, just skimmed through this and it sounds amazing. Come on Richard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dragon said:

just dropping this in here, blows my fucken mind

the amount of people salivating over this is amazing. the odds of it ever being released are very slim though, considering it was done live for this particular performance ?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, Hail Sagan said:

INTERMISSION

Living the dream.

(Not him/she.Me)

Edited by Krem

4 hours ago, tbf said:
12 hours ago, Dragon said:

just dropping this in here, blows my fucken mind

Expand  

the amount of people salivating over this is amazing. the odds of it ever being released are very slim though, considering it was done live for this particular performance ?

it is released as youtube. seems like maybe a 22 minute live composition?

Edited by trying to be less rude

it's a live performance that segues into a dj set with some fx additions throughout. still (mostly) clearly divided into different themes, therefore, different tracks. or embryos thereof, anyway

Edited by tbf

8 hours ago, tbf said:

Big part of the live bits are little lost on me. There are some pretty good moments here and there but sadly can't get into the hype. :shrug:

10 hours ago, Uros said:

Big part of the live bits are little lost on me. There are some pretty good moments here and there but sadly can't get into the hype. :shrug:

were it all live I would've liked it more - loved it, probably. can you imagine being hit with 2 hours of unreleased music made on the spot? it's a pretty intense task, though, especially if you're not aiming for basic dancefloor oriented techno.

10 hours ago, pizza said:

yeah, that live track is great. but the best one of those is this IMO:

agreed, those two are the highlights for me. this one sounds more like what you'd normally expect from him - what we all want, innit? but the other sounds more like what we've grown to expect from his newest works. both amazing.. but what truly drove me nuts from this whole intro was this brilliant rug pull of a moment

Edited by tbf
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Uros said:

same tbh is all the same sound since syro 

rich pls move inte a different direction thanks 

9 minutes ago, X4creek said:

I like the Syro/Field Day/Collapse sound yeah but honestly I would like a change in direction

45 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

same tbh is all the same sound since syro 

rich pls move inte a different direction thanks 

How would you describe this sound ?