IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

PLaying Analogue Bubblebath stuff and really miss the days when Rephlex was up and running and there was a chance to get some weird/obscure/classic/not-so-classic/eccentric AFX (or Tuss etc etc) release. Now it will be huge fanfare Warp release I guess. Which is obviously fandabbydozy great but not really the same as having a way of putting out such 'stranger things'

Rephlex In Peace

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 5

I feel that, and still miss Rephlex. On the flip side tho, every time Rephlex would sign a new artist everyone would assume it was an AFX sockpuppet for a while. And they werent very good at hiding it when it actually was him because his style is so distinctive. I reckon if he wanted to do an anonymous release he would probably just set up a temporary imprint to do so.

12 minutes ago, Key said:

On the flip side tho, every time Rephlex would sign a new artist everyone would assume it was an AFX sockpuppet for a while. And they werent very good at hiding it when it actually was him because his style is so distinctive. 

Good point. That got a bit silly. Need to take off my rose tinted sunglasses ?

52 minutes ago, Key said:

I feel that, and still miss Rephlex. On the flip side tho, every time Rephlex would sign a new artist everyone would assume it was an AFX sockpuppet for a while. And they werent very good at hiding it when it actually was him because his style is so distinctive. I reckon if he wanted to do an anonymous release he would probably just set up a temporary imprint to do so.

Pretty savvy strategy for selling records tho. I definitely insta-bought multiple releases I probably wouldn’t have otherwise on slight suspicion that it was him. 
Re: your second point, I think about this all the time. I don’t doubt there are at least a couple releases out there that nobody knows about. 

• Burger 1

10 hours ago, Key said:

I remember the internet hype leading up to the anonymous Astrobotnia. Good times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

Why does the identity of the creator matter if you like the music?

It’s not exactly a matter of whether you “like the music“ or not, in this case. I mean, the likelihood that RDJ will put out good music is very very high. Also, if you’re a fan of RDJ (I mean, this board is named after one of his tunes and it’s not too much of a stretch to assume the majority of the people posting here are at least slightly obsessive fans) you’re probably going to want to pick up some of his jams. 
I think it’s more of a matter of playing his game. He is elusive, as well as a genius. When you can locate one of his hidden releases it’s a thrill. 

I have to admit, this post feels a bit like explaining love to a robot. 

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

It’s not exactly a matter of whether you “like the music“ or not, in this case. I mean, the likelihood that RDJ will put out good music is very very high. Also, if you’re a fan of RDJ (I mean, this board is named after one of his tunes and it’s not too much of a stretch to assume the majority of the people posting here are at least slightly obsessive fans) you’re probably going to want to pick up some of his jams. 
I think it’s more of a matter of playing his game. He is elusive, as well as a genius. When you can locate one of his hidden releases it’s a thrill. 

what is love? ?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

yeah it was more like playing hide and seek with him while collecting great releases on the way. 

:nyan:

(first and last time I shall post the gay pink cat!)

(I’ve always wanted to)

(miaow)

Edited by beerwolf
  • Burger 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:39 AM, MDF said:

The Cheetah EP is also gone, activity on the store, but I would prefer things being added rather than taken away.

Question is - why those particular releases?

37 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Question is - why those particular releases?

I can't help but think that he woke up one morning and thought "You know what ? Fuck Cheetah I hate this EP" while breakfast was cooking

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, Stock said:

I can't help but think that he woke up one morning and thought "You know what ? Fuck Cheetah I hate this EP" while breakfast was cooking

Lmao... Yeah... And I heard he's actually shopping his work to this new division of Warner Music that's catered toward development deals to upcoming pop stars... So the current theory is that he removed Cheetah as its lofi vibe didn't sit well with the label's head boss's tastes.

Update: also great news, supposedly several of the A&R reps were involved with some VIP event for Jason Derulo, sound supervising on Pixar Cars 2 and some publishing stuff with singer stars from Disney High School Musical series, and Richard thinks he may have a shot (as do I!) at getting a few songwriting credits with these A&R guys next projects. Fingers crossed. 2023 baby!!!

Edited by Lane Visitor
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lane Visitor said:

Lmao... Yeah... And I heard he's actually shopping his work to this new division of Warner Music that's catered toward development deals to upcoming pop stars... So the current theory is that he removed Cheetah as its lofi vibe didn't sit well with the label's head boss's tastes.

Update: also great news, supposedly several of the A&R reps were involved with some VIP event for Jason Derulo, sound supervising on Pixar Cars 2 and some publishing stuff with singer stars from Disney High School Musical series, and Richard thinks he may have a shot (as do I!) at getting a few songwriting credits with these A&R guys next projects. Fingers crossed. 2023 baby!!!

So you are making all this up or is there some kind of source for this?

6 hours ago, auxien said:

i heard the Ed Sheeran version of CHEETA1b MS800 really gets everyone dancing

i heard the Ed Sheeran version of CHEETA1b MS800 isn't even actually a remix of CHEETA1b MS800. It's just something he handed to the courier when he arrived to collect the remix as Ed had not even bothered to do it.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

I always assumed the reason he released stuff under different aliases was because he wanted to see or prove that the music could stand on its own, even if it wasn't associated with him and the success he'd already had. I figured he didn't want to rest on his laurels. But maybe you're right and it was just a big, fun Easter egg hunt for we, the faithful.

It’s probably both. One thing is for sure, he likes to fuck with peeps 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 5:21 PM, beerwolf said:

:nyan:

(first and last time I shall post the gay pink cat!)

(I’ve always wanted to)

(miaow)

fyi that's not a pink cat, it's a gray cat that supports lgbtq movement... just saying... go listen to Mac Demarco, give it a chance, his 2 first albums are quite good...

• Like 1

The jolly rainbow cat is quite fun and cute and thats what matters to me. I’d like to give it a little tickle under the chin and perhaps go catch a big tasty sardine and give the jolly rainbow cat a nice treat for its lunch. Though having said that in real life I am ultra high allergic to cats! When I say allergic I mean allergic. I’ve had to leave people houses before because the reaction is so bad. MIAOW….

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, beerwolf said:

The jolly rainbow cat is quite fun and cute and thats what matters to me. I’d like to give it a little tickle under the chin and perhaps go catch a big tasty sardine and give the jolly rainbow cat a nice treat for its lunch. Though having said that in real life I am ultra high allergic to cats! When I say allergic I mean allergic. I’ve had to leave people houses before because the reaction is so bad. MIAOW….

I've met people who claimed the same but the unconditional love for a kitty surpassed all the allergies...

edit: it's just like antibiotics, you take so many that they stop making effect...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Haha 1