IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

I was in a back of a taxi a few months ago, I start itching uncontrollably around the neck and eyes, symptoms of a cat. I asked the taxi driver if he'd had a customer in the back with a cat (obviously in a plastic box to go to the vet or something) of which he said yes. Even that was unbearable. Pesky cat. When I was a kid I had to get rid of a pet hamster because one day I went down to clean it and I just erupted into a boiling mess of scratching, sneezing and various other horrible reactions. Was pretty savage, I remember that like yesterday.

• Sad 4

20 hours ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

I always assumed the reason he released stuff under different aliases was because he wanted to see or prove that the music could stand on its own, even if it wasn't associated with him and the success he'd already had. I figured he didn't want to rest on his laurels. But maybe you're right and it was just a big, fun Easter egg hunt for we, the faithful.

No, more a case of "I'll release something under an alias that nobody will ever know it's actually me who did it". Unfortunately, Richard didn't anticipate the internet

• Like 2

4 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I was in a back of a taxi a few months ago, I start itching uncontrollably around the neck and eyes, symptoms of a cat. I asked the taxi driver if he'd had a customer in the back with a cat (obviously in a plastic box to go to the vet or something) of which he said yes. Even that was unbearable. Pesky cat. When I was a kid I had to get rid of a pet hamster because one day I went down to clean it and I just erupted into a boiling mess of scratching, sneezing and various other horrible reactions. Was pretty savage, I remember that like yesterday.

:catsob:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I ended up in a ladys home one time at her place and the day after I woke up in her bed I could hardly breathe and got big red rashes all over my body. 
My eyes were like blood red. It was like a nightmare and she was just laughing at me. I didn't know she had a cat. 

I would like a "Songs about my cats" by Aphex Twin tho.. Maybe with more of his modular stuff 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joyrex said:

No, more a case of "I'll release something under an alias that nobody will ever know it's actually me who did it". Unfortunately, Richard didn't anticipate the internet

I always figured it was more a case of "escaping licensing rights so that I can release my music in places other than warp"? Use a pseudonym with little likeness other than the music and they have no rights to it; I've read Warp is actually pretty aggressive in these regards, artists have to hand over their next 10 albums or whatever....

Edit: we could actually be saying the same thing tbh lol.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

On 5/2/2023 at 9:17 PM, Joyrex said:

Question is - why those particular releases?

I had first thought it must be because he was going to add tracks to the releases, but then I don't see why he would need to remove them first, could just do it all behind the scenes until makes live. Unless he's going to add many tracks to those releases and make them a higher price or something like that. I can't help feel he is uploading tracks behind the scenes and he was and probably still is going through his archives over time and making them ready for upload/website release.

I know he mentioned he finds it a lot of faffing about to upload and release them on the website, he preferred the ease of soundcloud, I wish Ochre would help streamline the website upload process for him. It seems like if it had have been similar to the soundcloud process we would have loads more archive stuff up on there.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:12 AM, Hugh Mughnus said:

I always figured it was more a case of "escaping licensing rights so that I can release my music in places other than warp"? Use a pseudonym with little likeness other than the music and they have no rights to it; I've read Warp is actually pretty aggressive in these regards, artists have to hand over their next 10 albums or whatever....

Edit: we could actually be saying the same thing tbh lol.

No; he was using other aliases long before his WARP signing.

On 5/5/2023 at 1:53 AM, MDF said:

I had first thought it must be because he was going to add tracks to the releases, but then I don't see why he would need to remove them first, could just do it all behind the scenes until makes live. Unless he's going to add many tracks to those releases and make them a higher price or something like that. I can't help feel he is uploading tracks behind the scenes and he was and probably still is going through his archives over time and making them ready for upload/website release.

I know he mentioned he finds it a lot of faffing about to upload and release them on the website, he preferred the ease of soundcloud, I wish Ochre would help streamline the website upload process for him. It seems like if it had have been similar to the soundcloud process we would have loads more archive stuff up on there.

I doubt Richard himself manages this... more likely someone at WARP is, and if he did put up unreleased stuff, he'd have to share royalties with WARP...

It's why they weren't too happy with the Soundcloud dump

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

No; he was using other aliases long before his WARP signing.

I doubt Richard himself manages this... more likely someone at WARP is, and if he did put up unreleased stuff, he'd have to share royalties with WARP...

It's why they weren't too happy with the Soundcloud dump

isn't it true that even though most of the soundcloud tracks are unreleased, all of them are published by Chrysalis? i suppose he has an arrangement where everything he creates automatically has certain protections. shortly after "8 lush ambulance" was uploaded, it was being used by the BBC for content on their comedy website, which afaik wouldn't have been possible without some kind of licensing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

isn't it true that even though most of the soundcloud tracks are unreleased, all of them are published by Chrysalis? i suppose he has an arrangement where everything he creates automatically has certain protections. shortly after "8 lush ambulance" was uploaded, it was being used by the BBC for content on their comedy website, which afaik wouldn't have been possible without some kind of licensing.

Publishing Copyright =/ Releasing

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, silentvision said:

Used to use that site all the time but it's been irrelevant for years. It's rare an album leaks more than a day or two in advance anymore.