IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

Not sure whether I'd like RDJ album as much if it had been made with hardware. We could talk about sounds being sterile when made with software. And that might be true, but that's not the same as a track sounding better when made on hardware instead of software. As others have mentioned, I believe software tracks are different to hardware tracks compositionally. There was a lot more fuckery going on from the habs going forward. Which i consider rdj's software period. (Ending with drukqs) Software allows for a different kind of experimentation which shows in composition, imo. Which I dont think you get from working with hardware.

Software has its charmes. Eg. Flim. Dont think Flim would sound better on hardware. The digital sound is part of the charm.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm certainly no producer myself, so i could be way off.

No soft

Im no native english speaker. With 'from hab going forward' i mean the habs included. Not sure whether thats proper english

perhaps it's a countdown to another soundcloud style drop, just via warp

(wishful thinking much)

Edited by xf

I never get tired of soft vs hard talks. I prefer the hard era, by far, but a mix of soft controlling hardware, or best of both worlds seems the natural evolution. Something like a convoluted MAX patch controlling his GX-1, taking feedback of this sound to process it with reaktor and send this signal to a modular noodlesoup

Edited by HexagonSun

No soft

Im no native english speaker. With 'from hab going forward' i mean the habs included. Not sure whether thats proper english

No problem, I probably misunderstood. 

How about ICBYD? 

No soft

No problem, I probably misunderstood. 

How about ICBYD? 

i think that was completely analogue. vibert once listed it as one of his favourite albums on bleep i think with the words "this is analogue. nuff said."

I'm counting my pennies now because i will buy the most special edition, limited release, bonus-tracked, heavyweight vinyl version of whatever's coming as SOON as it's available because i'm exploitable and desperate

Hope his next album includes artwork

Also this ^ 

So do most folks on here think this will be a new album?

Either that or his own Bleepstore

Agree on this point.  I don't think it's another EP.

Is it known certain that RDJ wasn't made with hardware? Tom didn't use a computer on go plastic....

wait what!?

tom IS a computer. hard to believe he didnt use software on go plastic, btw. if true, i'll run crying from this thread being a noob and never talk about hard- and software ever again. plus, tom is a wizard.

Is it known certain that RDJ wasn't made with hardware? Tom didn't use a computer on go plastic....

wait what!?

tom IS a computer. hard to believe he didnt use software on go plastic, btw. if true, i'll run crying from this thread being a noob and never talk about hard- and software ever again. plus, tom is a wizard.

I thought for sure Tom used Reaktor and all kinds of digital things on Go Plastic. I sort of viewed that album as him showing us every digital trick and idea he's got. 

I t

Yeah, if he made Syro with all hardware...then I believe he could do anything with that set up.  A computer just makes these types of edits/ arrangements easier but I believe you get much more for your time when going the hardware route.  IMO if he would have made all computer albums like RDJ, Druqs with a hardware set up instead....they would have sounded that much better. 

For me the drums and percussion on Syro, Analord, ODS, Cheetah, aren't nearly as expressive and dynamic as on RDJ, Come To Daddy or Drukqs. They sound very flat and lack a lot of velocity variation comparatively. It could just be a choice of taste at the time I suppose, but to me it seems he's not able to get that wide range of expressiveness in the percussion with the hardware. But like I said maybe he just chose not to. 

I don't think this has to do with hardware v. software as much as it has to do with his tastes and workflows on those albums, mixing and mastering too. I think it's totally possible to get very dynamic and interesting and flowing sounds from hardware, especially with powerful sequencers and automation which I know he has access to. Fenix funk 5 is a great example, I'm guessing that was mostly hardware.

RDJ album was all "native" according to interviews at the time (but softsynths wasn't really around then b u t of course had our godlike rdj developed his own in fortran on his sinclair/vic20/altair 500). As always everything is more about half true and the most important thing for the artists is that anyone care, talks about it and BUYS.