IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

from reddit:

Mandy Parnell mastered everything but Minipop, and only for the non-Vinyl releases. Beau Thomas mastered all versions of Minipops and the Vinyl release. Beau also mastered the Marchromt single, and Orphaned Deejay Selek.

I don't know nearly enough to have my own opinion, but among the people who are knowledgable about mastering most prefer Beau Thomas's mastering.

Just thought I'd mention that, for those who didn't know.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch this when I get off work later

Sound On Sound magazine

From The Tuss Rushup Edge comments:

daddy1

Not the best place to put this but there are no immediate plans to press any new tracks on this site to vinyl/cd but that doesn't mean it wont happen but first I wanna get a shit ton more stuff up here.

first I wanna get a shit ton more stuff up here.

repeat

first I wanna get a shit ton more stuff up here

:emotawesomepm9: 

yeah but where the * tracks remastered from when they where uploaded first into the store?

tis the question. I have no idear. My ears are telling me 'End' sounds markedly better now... but could be wrong and just wasn't listening loud enough or something. 

yeah but where the * tracks remastered from when they where uploaded first into the store?

tis the question. I have no idear. My ears are telling me 'End' sounds markedly better now... but could be wrong and just wasn't listening loud enough or something.

just checked nothing has changed just store description

I personally think 'End' sounds .. ok fine I'll stop. 

I personally think 'End' sounds .. ok fine I'll stop.

I checked the spectrum just to be sure

From The Tuss Rushup Edge comments:

daddy1

Not the best place to put this but there are no immediate plans to press any new tracks on this site to vinyl/cd but that doesn't mean it wont happen but first I wanna get a shit ton more stuff up here.

first I wanna get a shit ton more stuff up here.

repeat

first I wanna get a shit ton more stuff up here

:emotawesomepm9: 

Awesome!!!

:aphexsign:

I looked it up, syro cd and presumably digitals (?) was mastered by mandy parnell except minipops, which was done by Beau Thomas who did the whole vinyl release.

So maybs why End e2 sounds different

Wait - so one person (minus one track) mastered the CD and digital releases, and someone else mastered the vinyl release? It makes sense if one person has more experience mastering for one medium over another, but then that ostensibly means outside of Minipops, there are two "versions" of every track on Syro, and even more confusingly, with the expanded edition of Syro Richard's offering, now some tracks are mastered by Beau, the others by Mandy (since presumably they would use the digital masters from the original CD/digital release Mandy did). I guess they could have used the vinyl mastering as the Bleepstore digital source...

I need to go lie down and have a think about this.

The WATMM echo chamber. Everything is repeated for years.

very true.. but at least this happened:

I wanna get a shit ton more stuff up here.

I actually really like her mastering on syro. I didn't like it at first because I kept comparing it to the tuss, but I think it has a pretty cool sound to it. She managed to take a lot of different-sounding types of songs and make them flow together really nicely in my opinion.

Wait - so one person (minus one track) mastered the CD and digital releases, and someone else mastered the vinyl release? It makes sense if one person has more experience mastering for one medium over another, but then that ostensibly means outside of Minipops, there are two "versions" of every track on Syro, and even more confusingly, with the expanded edition of Syro Richard's offering, now some tracks are mastered by Beau, the others by Mandy (since presumably they would use the digital masters from the original CD/digital release Mandy did). I guess they could have used the vinyl mastering as the Bleepstore digital source...

I need to go lie down and have a think about this.

My sweet summer child, promise me you'll never try to work out which is the best version of The Beatles' albums. Records, 1988 remastered CDs, 2009 re-remastered CDs... stereo, mono... the 1983 black triangle Japanese Abbey Road CD based on the premaster that wasn't supposed to be released... All using different takes, no less...

Meanwhile, the Twin's recording to cheap Compact Cassette tapes and format shifting to DAT longplay before giving it to someone to master...

You might as well just ignore it all and enjoy the fine music.

A good mastering job can really improve a track (Night Mail came to life!), but unless it's been brickwalled then away from audiophile territory the differences are going to be too subtle to make too much of a difference. I've owned both the 3LP and CD versions and they both sound great. That's the most important thing.

nothing was recorded as well as the Beatles albums. Aside from abbey road which was on a transistor console.

...Are you saying you'd rather use a REDD desk than a TG12345? I'd take a Neve, API or SSL over either any day,

You can easily tell the difference in mastering on Marchrom. Mandy did the Japan CD bonus version and BT did the 12" version released later. Both versions are available as digital. BT version sounds loads better to my ears

from reddit:

Mandy Parnell mastered everything but Minipop, and only for the non-Vinyl releases. Beau Thomas mastered all versions of Minipops and the Vinyl release. Beau also mastered the Marchromt single, and Orphaned Deejay Selek.

I don't know nearly enough to have my own opinion, but among the people who are knowledgable about mastering most prefer Beau Thomas's mastering.

Just thought I'd mention that, for those who didn't know.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch this when I get off work later

Sound On Sound magazine

Thanks for this... never really knew what mastering was  about and why it was needed. #lessthick