IGNORED

Pizza with pineapple on it is the worst thing humanity has perpetrated

Dan C

getting any good pizza in the British & Irish Isles is like the quest for the grail

those super-thin, blast furnace cooked classics yanks (& Eye-ties) take for granted are the only thing i genuinely miss about the US

and ordering said slices individually &/or in smaller batches of 2 or 3 slices.......mein gott, fuckin bliss face

last pizza i had in London tasted of *lard, the tomato sauce was all wrong & the stodgy middle area sagged like a granny's tit, fuck off cunts its not rocket science

*hopefully chef brother is gonna remedy this via a lesson next visit home

getting any good pizza in the British & Irish Isles is like the quest for the grail

those super-thin, blast furnace cooked classics yanks (& Eye-ties) take for granted are the only thing i genuinely miss about the US

and ordering said slices individually &/or in smaller batches of 2 or 3 slices.......mein gott, fuckin bliss face

last pizza i had in London tasted of *lard, the tomato sauce was all wrong & the stodgy middle area sagged like a granny's tit, fuck off cunts its not rocket science

*hopefully chef brother is gonna remedy this via a lesson next visit home

Didn't you say a while back that you missed East Coast hoagies as well or am I thinking of another bloke? God damn that sounds good today. 

A few weeks ago, caze was talking about a pizza with some spicy sausage on it that I'd never heard of and had to google. Sounded amazing - I guess is/was trendy in the islands? Maybe this is a component of the dodgy sauce you're referring to, though, lol.

Yeah, bad pizza is so disappointing. I think it's like hip hop or electro where people think, "hmm, there's not a whole lot going on here, must be really easy", and then they proceed to fuck it up beyond repair. It's a real Dunning-Kreuger amplifier.

aye Hoagies too...they're so simple & basic but pack a massive punch and not just in terms of volume (even though 1 good one was enough for 2 lunches)

i had 1 in Reading Market in Philadelphia many moons ago that i still remember far more fondly than the company i was with lolol, plus said company's in-laws would fetch a few back from the city's other hoagie outlets occasionally and they were ALL fkn banging

so yeah, any decent pizza and hoagies franchises planning on going trans-Atlantic should get their arses in gear

and pineapple as a topping? thats just minging + lazy.... chorizo or andouille sausage + peppers and easy on the congealed cow udder juice

Edited by cwmbrancity

The problem I've found with hoagies though is that one important component is the condiments. And in this case the ideal condiments really are simple and hard to fuck up: plain old oil and vinegar, plus a couple pinches of pepper and maybe a pinch of salt. But the vinegar and oil ends up reducing the shelf-life quite a bit so while, as you say, one solid hoagie can make 2 lunches, unless you get the condiments on the side it'll just be a soggy mess by the time you're ready for the other half.

Chorizo sounds great - I haven't tried that on pizza yet. I had an andouille + pepper (I think pepperoncini) in Seattle a few years back and that was really nice. I do like probably a bit more cheese and a bit less sauce than is most common, at least in my parts, because I think with too thick a layer of sauce, the upper layer slides off too easily, so it's harder to eat by hand. The cheese has both adhesive and flavor-absorbing qualities which really tie it all together. Once it gets stretchy and difficult to tear off a slice without ripping the upper layer off the adjacent slices, then, yeah, there's too much.

TL;DR it's all about ergonomics and managing the textures and flavors. 

what the hell r u on about calling them hoagies????? ITS A WIKKED GRINDAH YA QUEEAH

15FIELDGUIDE5-jumbo.jpg

this is the italian combo grinder at nardellis in CT. Heaven.

Edited by dr lopez

what the hell r u on about calling them hoagies????? ITS A WIKKED GRINDAH YA QUEEAH

15FIELDGUIDE5-jumbo.jpg

They called them hoagies when I lived in Jersey 20+ years ago. At any rate, that looks bitchin'.

The Hawaiiphobia in this thread is downright problematic

The only good food to come out of Hawaii (besides, like, actual, raw fruits like pineapple without some dad-joke excuse for a presentation like putting it on a fucking pizza) are loco moco and Macadamia nuts. Hawaiian pizza isn't even Hawaiian, didn't someone post something in this thread about it coming from Cleveland or some shit?

Don't forget Spam Musubi!

(I've actually never had it but FUCK I want to)

lol that's funny that I forgot that - I just ate that for lunch 2 days ago. Yes, spam musubi is the shit although I will say my wife makes better spam musubi than anything I had in Hawaii. Also, consider making your own - as long as you can make decent sticky rice, the only really weird thing you need is this: https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Helper-TD-064-Musubi-Sushi/dp/B000FWOB5S

Poke is alright too but I'd rather just have good old maguro nigiri. Those weird purple dinner rolls (poi, I think?) are pretty good too.

Yeah after seeing the above vid in 2015 and doing some research I tried to get one of those musubi presses. Apparently literally impossible in the UK unless you wanna pay £50 shipping for a perspex box.

If anyone in murica wants to buy one and send it to the uk I would be grateful.

what the hell r u on about calling them hoagies????? ITS A WIKKED GRINDAH YA QUEEAH

15FIELDGUIDE5-jumbo.jpg

They called them hoagies when I lived in Jersey 20+ years ago. At any rate, that looks bitchin'.

South Jersey is false

what the hell r u on about calling them hoagies????? ITS A WIKKED GRINDAH YA QUEEAH

15FIELDGUIDE5-jumbo.jpg

South Jersey is false
Well there were still plenty of raging assholes so that must imbue it with some authenticity.

15FIELDGUIDE5-jumbo.jpg

South Jersey is false

thats where the hoagies i had were sourced from, south Philadelphia/Camden i think, tbh the "dressing" plot with the oregano plus the meats & lets be honest here the only proper bread ever really experienced beyond wanky gear in Wholefoods.....type of grub you could just plough into, Mr Plough, infinitely better than any greasy cheese steaks, keep you fueled til late evenings

btw what is it with merkin bread culture? with all the waves of immigrant contributions, getting decent bread took the piss, in France its the stuff of dreams you can eat every day & even Britain holds its own

15FIELDGUIDE5-jumbo.jpg

South Jersey is false
Well there were still plenty of raging assholes so that must imbue it with some authenticity.

from memory this one stood out

some serious warped narcissism in merka, but certain sarnies whether labeled grinder (only a Spurs fan could......*wink*) or hoagies & pizzas are done rrrrrrrrrighteously

now i'm hungry due to all this instead of disgusted

Yeah honestly that sounds like the species of asshole I became familiar with. Still got a streak of that in me somewhere, bourne of middle school survival instincts. Would come in handy for trolling if I wanted to hone that skill.

As far as bread, well, I've never set foot on my mother continent but I've had some pretty damn good loaves and slices here. I jist think the standard is lower here with our food deserts with miserable pre-packaged $2 loaves being the norm. We just call, what you call normal, "artisinal", and price accordingly. But thank god for the Northwest and its decent hardworking craftspeople and the fact that I'm lucky enough to be able to get decent bread at all.

Also our beer fucking rules. You can keep your porters and stouts, beat me over the head with those dank IPA hops any day of the week.

NJ...I still remember that day getting off school in 4th grade when that one asshole neo-Nazi kid named Mario ran up behind me and literally kicked me in the ass.

But needless to say there were some decent pizzerias in the area.

Did he do the "itsa me, Mario!" voice? If so awesome.

Edited by Gocab

NJ...I still remember that day getting off school in 4th grade when that one asshole neo-Nazi kid named Mario ran up behind me and literally kicked me in the ass.

But needless to say there were some decent pizzerias in the area.

Even the garden [state] variety assholes hated that guy though. He had some issues.

Yeah the pizza in South Jersey was the shit, high baseline standard and none of that fork-eating, weird topping bullshit. Classic, unpretentious, well-made cheese and pepperoni slices to be found everywhere. Some the best I've ever had. That's one great food that's a little harder to find in WA, although if you look around you can find some decent slices that are at least East Coast inspired.