IGNORED

underworld is my oasis

dr lopez

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>I love underworld. Assuming you're talking about the artists.<br />

<br />

Tracks like Two Months Off.... Jumbo... Even most recently Low Burn. Bliss. I have fond memories of listening to them growing up, and going back to any of those tracks now always feels great.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think a big part of it is Karl Hyde's artistic direction and... well his voice. The Eno/Hyde releases gave me similar vibes. </p>

anytime i hear anyone (usually a manc chav) become hilariously emotional about seeing oasis in concert etc it almost perfectly mirrors how i feel when watching everything everything

That's the same as Cowgirl right? Fucking great track.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic/ironic (hard to tell on watmm these days). But I legit love Underworlds trax!

Big underworld fan here too. Do you guys all know about Bootleg Babies? A fan made live comp that was a response to Everything, Everything missing out so may good tracks/versions. Sound quality is brilliant, think they spent quite a bit of time mastering it all and segueing the tracks together, the 17 min version of Rez/Cowgirl is superb. There were only 150 CD copies made but the mp3 version was pretty easy to track down, PM me if you can't find it.

More info here: https://www.discogs.com/Underworld-Bootleg-Babies/release/2068464

Live dvd? that exists?

Came out in 2000.

Underworld would definitely be in my top five bands. Other than Barking, on which I only like a few tracks (most of them from the bonus disc), I fucking love all of their albums. Everything from the bizarre abstract messy artwork, to their totally idiosyncratic titles (Nuxx, Telematic, Oich Oich, Tin There, Spoonman, Glam Bucket, If Rah, Jumping the Cran), Hyde's wonderfully unusual lyrics, his incredible range of vocal styles, Rick Smith's totally gorgeous unmistakable production, their consistently brilliant line in ambient and downtempo tracks that takes up half of their catalogue, and the superb storming bangers that they're best known for. Barely a bad song in there, and just an entirely unique world that's formed from their completely individual take on music, words and visuals. Incredible band.

For me: 80s Underworld is a hilarious pick-me-up, 90s Underworld is bloody amazing, 00s Underworld is OK but rather too melancholy, 10s Underworld I'd kinda lost interest

anytime i hear anyone (usually a manc chav) become hilariously emotional about seeing oasis in concert etc it almost perfectly mirrors how i feel when watching everything everything

lol I feels ya

Still put STITI on every now and again, love that shit

purlieu, on 20 Jun 2017 - 3:38 PM, said:

mcbpete, on 20 Jun 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

rather too melancholy

Not words I ever imagined I'd see you write.

Haha yeah good shout (and good memory on my music tastes !) - but yeah in this instance, I've always had Underworld as a band that brings my energy levels up - Caffeine and sunshine for my ears and brain. I always feel kinda down and introspective with everything post-Beaucoup Fish (well more specifically post-Everything Everything) and just I want them to be all happy and big, and big and happy again.

Moaner live in Brixton Academy on awesome pills is one of the best experiences of my life. Incredible band.

They really go to town on the smoke and strobes during that track. I've seen them at Brixton too, the encore was Dark Train followed by Moaner and it was 20 minutes of a really dark kinda sonic heaven. Loved it.

Archived