IGNORED

underworld is my oasis

dr lopez

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's tough to sum up how much I love these guys, how important and, even, underrated I feel they are, how fucking inspirational and amazing their career arch has been; transitioning from Rockabilly to Avant New-Wave to Pop-Rock to Electronica, and all with absolute aplomb!

I finally saw them live in Oakland last year and I could only adequately describe it with gushing hyperbole. Their set list that night included so many tracks that have meant so much to me for so long: Dark Train, Juanita, Rowla, 8-Ball, Two Months Off, Push Upstairs, King of Snake... I was very, very happy that night!

O__O   wow i envy you. 

(quality is shit but yeah)

As do I. I've listened to that disc at least 100 times. That and Beaucoup Fish were on constant rotation when I was in high school.

...and I don't know why 100 Days Off doesn't get more love. Sonic perfection to me.

a lot of love from me.

2 Months Off is a brilliant track for one. I remember zabiela spinning it, slightly pitched down on a set in 2002. I remember that being an awesome moment (I was kinda new to underworld, and probably coming up on some pill or other lol). 

Not on 100 Days Off, but Sasha spun a version of Jumbo on his 1999 Babylon set that I'd love to have too, can't find it/don't know if it exists anywhere other than that set.

That greatest hits comp he's talking about is solid, I'd recommend it to anyone. 

Dark and Long Dark Train btw, what a track. This thread has inspired me to go on an Underworld binge. 

...and I don't know why 100 Days Off doesn't get more love. Sonic perfection to me.

I used to dislike it for years, but revisiting it more recently has properly shined a light on how good it is. Sola Sistim, Mo Move, Ballet Lane. Luetin is my favourite Underworld track. The only track I don't really like on it is Dinosaur Adventure 3D, which always struck me as a really bad attempt at doing another King of Snake.

Haha yeah good shout (and good memory on my music tastes !) - but yeah in this instance, I've always had Underworld as a band that brings my energy levels up - Caffeine and sunshine for my ears and brain. I always feel kinda down and introspective with everything post-Beaucoup Fish (well more specifically post-Everything Everything) and just I want them to be all happy and big, and big and happy again.

Ha, fair enough. Oblivion With Bells is my favourite UW record, so I'm on a completely different page. Although they definitely have 'big and happy' moments, I've always found there's a certain melancholic moodiness to even their '90s albums. Dirty Epic, Dark & Long, Something Like a Mama, those strings in Skyscraper, Stagger, Winjer. It's one of the things I love most about them.

anytime i hear anyone (usually a manc chav) become hilariously emotional about seeing oasis in concert etc it almost perfectly mirrors how i feel when watching everything everything

Oasis were the Status Quo of a certain later generation who confused 3-chord pub rock with something transcendental

most older Mancs have far more veneration for Factory Records and its legacy, The Hacienda & bands like New Order & The Stone Roses

Underworld had 1 or 2 sublime moments, eg the various mixes of Dirty Epic (specifically the Dirty mix) take some beating, the soundtrack to many a 6am-sunrise revelatory moment and caned by the better jocks of the period

edit div alert

"Rez" could still be played just about anywhere on the planet & work wonders & probably will be over Glastonbury this weekend even if Dirty Epic is me personal favourite (cant find a specific Cowgirl rmx due to multitasking but thats digressing.........)

i really love this track. i have a greatest hits comp on my computer, i'll have to listen to more of their stuff

classic tune on a side note, this was off The Beach soundtrack where also lurks one of the best Orbital tunes....

• 2 weeks later...

In my high school and college days, I listened to a lot of Underworld.  I learnt a lot from their music.  I lived a lot with their music.  Good times.

anyone else feel this way?

NO RELEVANCE...I fully get what you mean... But i chose not to listen to any of them...Unless i'm at Liams wannabe house havin  a session then yeah no choice but to listen to anything OASIS related...OVER AND OVER AGAIN...

I still feel they are what you mean....

Really? Was poised ready back in 2015 for it but didn't realise it'd actually be a thing: https://forum.watmm.com/topic/88960-underworld-second-toughest-in-the-infants/?do=findComment&comment=2377424. Do you have any details/links ?

(whatever happened to that Dead Cities supa-deluxe edition Pande mentioned?)

Really? Was poised ready back in 2015 for it but didn't realise it'd actually be a thing: https://forum.watmm.com/topic/88960-underworld-second-toughest-in-the-infants/?do=findComment&comment=2377424. Do you have any details/links ?

(whatever happened to that Dead Cities supa-deluxe edition Pande mentioned?)

Beaucoup Fish: https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?p=162572#post162572 - if you read further back in the thread, the 4CD edition was originally pencilled in for last November but got pulled so seems they've still been working on it.

Dead Cities - for whatever reason, VirginEMI are proceeding with the 2LP Lifeforms repress, but the band are in talks to do some deluxe reissues so just a case of being patient. Pande may have jumped the gun a bit...

Archived