IGNORED

microtonal tunes

brian trageskin

When I was in college, I was required to write a microtonal dance song for a class. This is what happened.

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=2480039521 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=2366950016]

Fun topic.

^Great track Braintree!

12 tone just intonation is arguably the best sounding configuration but not really representative of what's possible with microtonality. What I've found in my exploration of more exotic scales is that there are plenty of interesting recordings and tunings but rarely beautiful.

This guy is an exception.

The Bohlen-Pierce scale is particularly fascinating as it has no octaves.

Sevish really is on point with his compositions.

More exotic scales seem to be well suited for generative electronic music.

Most of the classic excursions are piano/keyboard pieces of the typical avantgarde variety, often composed by people who developed the scales themselves.

Tristan Murail, one of my favorite composers, regularly dabbles in microtonal cacophony. Same goes for Morton Feldman.

https://youtu.be/yLYx31ltmlo

Edited by chim

^ i'm being off-topic but i was pleasantly surprised to hear messiaen's o sacrum convivium which i love on track 6 *closes parenthesis*

Thanks man. That was for a vocal synthesis class. We were given an assignment to construct a track completely made out of human voice. All of the beats are made from William S. Burroughs' voice and the rest is from that Messiaen composition.

Made the 'synth' sounds in Renoise using small looped samples in combination with the modulation/filter options, then using this tool; https://www.renoise.com/tools/scl-to-xrni loaded up different scale files for the different instruments + moar stuff and tune happened :-) .

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 11:22 PM, Braintree said:

When I was in college, I was required to write a microtonal dance song for a class. This is what happened.

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=2480039521 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=2366950016]

I there any chance of hearing this? :)

Lurking those old threads can sometimes be a little disappointing since so many tracks get removed.