IGNORED

New Pressings Announced

Brionic

I've reached out to WARP to find out if these are reissues by them, or someone else. Hopefully them.

Seems like it is:

https://bleep.com/release/9618-aphex-twin-richard-d-james-album

"180g vinyl in spined sleeve

Stock on order, expected soon."

Turns out the other releases are out of stock now too, so I guess it makes sense they get repressed (again).

An officially-pressed RDJA on 180g for £11.49 is quite the steal.

I'm guessing this is all somehow related to the Bleepstore?

Yawn tbh

Well, some Works are more anticipated than others - if you don't own these Selected releases on vinyl, this is a good opportunity to get them, without having to pay shipping from the UK (especially in Volume). Two of these are bona fide classics, so hardly an Ambient-like yawn.

Ahh, quite good.

However, the veracity of such claims leads one to believe that not all reissues are official, and for now we must be content with these classics on vinyl at reasonable prices.

• 3 weeks later...

I was scheming on getting both ICBYD and RDJ albums at amazon from the links in the OP, but I noticed that ICBYD says this in the info on the product page:

Label: 101 DISTRIBUTION

The other 3 all say Warp there. Seemed weird so I searched and found this

https://www.importitall.co.za/Richard-D-James-Album-ap-B008RZ0KL4.html

which seems to link 101 distribution with 1972. So ICBYD at least, seems to be a bootleg.

• 10 months later...

https://bleep.com/release/21887-aphex-twin-selected-ambient-works-85-92

Repress
2013 Re-masters made from original DAT tapes
Cut by Matt Colton
Presented in original artwork
Estimated Shipping: 06.28.18

A Re-re-re-re-re-press! (did I get the count right?)

"made from original DAT tapes"... hmmm. So did these tracks go from cassette to DAT (hope not), or are these the ORIGINAL DATs that the cassettes were presumably made from?

Reason I ask is my understanding is the tracks from SAW 85-92 were from a collection of about 11 C-09 cassettes Richard made for him and his mates to listen to in their cars... so did Richard have DAT masters he made those cassettes from, or were the DATs made from the cassettes?

Repress
Cut by Matt Colton

"made from original DAT tapes"... hmmm. So did these tracks go from cassette to DAT (hope not), or are these the ORIGINAL DATs that the cassettes were presumably made from?

Reason I ask is my understanding is the tracks from SAW 85-92 were from a collection of about 11 C-09 cassettes Richard made for him and his mates to listen to in their cars... so did Richard have DAT masters he made those cassettes from, or were the DATs made from the cassettes?

DAT wasn't introduced until 1987,

So that would be a nope.

Edit: just realised my short reply written on bus wifi might come across as curt, and I don't mean it to be!

Fucking false release info, Blerp!

Repress
Cut by Matt Colton

So that would be a nope.

Edit: just realised my short reply written on bus wifi might come across as curt, and I don't mean it to be!

Well, I wouldn't put too much faith in the title "85-92" as being 100% accurate... Richard would have been 14 years old when he made the "85" tracks... from everything we've read, he got his start around 16-17.

That means he could have possibly had a DAT recorder in 1987 when they came out, but considering how he had to save up for his first synths, I doubt he had the cash at that age to buy a brand-new technology (which I imagine was ridiculously expensive back then being brand-new).

Repress
Cut by Matt Colton

So that would be a nope.

Well, I wouldn't put too much faith in the title "85-92" as being 100% accurate... Richard would have been 14 years old when he made the "85" tracks... from everything we've read, he got his start around 16-17.

That means he could have possibly had a DAT recorder in 1987 when they came out, but considering how he had to save up for his first synths, I doubt he had the cash at that age to buy a brand-new technology (which I imagine was ridiculously expensive back then being brand-new).

Then RDJ is true to form as usual! Cheeky so and so.

Boring!

No; I believe vinyl is made on a lathe - boring would take too much of the material from the grooves.
god fucking damn it

lol

Haha(:

Repress

Cut by Matt Colton

So that would be a nope.

Richard said in the Syro/Pitchfork interview that he was 13 when he recorded 'i'. IMO that's probably the only track recorded as early as that, and the other 12 full-length tracks are probably closer to 88-92 (iirc, the dates given for SOSW were 89-92).

Archived