IGNORED

Elektron Octatrack MKII

cmooon monomachine mk3

this pls i've never owned a mm because i've been hoping they'd do a new mm/md style machine that i could dig in on.

Not personally too keen on the new look. It's nice, nothing wrong at all, but I really prefer the black metal look. Would love the new Rytm for the new knobs and possibly screen (if they're updating the software to make use of it) but certainly not worth upgrading just for that.

Plus they're charging for OB on these so fuck that noise

imo OB is just more elektron convolution that i don't really want. ob makes sense for the HEAT but thats about it.

I think it makes sense for as a replacement for a multi-track USB interface, so each track can stream digitally into its own track in the DAW. For something like the A4 it's probably not as useful, since it seems like more of an all-in-one box, and that the effects are sends rather than applied to each track.. Something like the Monomachine having OB support would be fkn mental—being able to keep the entire signal path digital would allow for some really high quality compositions.

Having said all of that though, I've recently been embracing the fact that I can only really record a stereo mix from my machines, it really forces me to think more quickly about mixing and sound design, in turn allowing me to spend less time obsessing over mixes, and instead just keep coming up with new music.

Edited by modey

Having said all of that though, I've recently been embracing the fact that I can only really record a stereo mix from my machines, it really forces me to think more quickly about mixing and sound design, in turn allowing me to spend less time obsessing over mixes, and instead just keep coming up with new music.

exactly this. all these people clamoring for streaming each track out of their elektrons into separate tracks in a DAW so they can work on them further... they're just postponing decision making. fear of commitment.

get it right in the machine. balance, eq, all of it. you have so much control over the params in elektron kit. there's no excuses. get it right & then just record it. stereo mix. done.

of course you could fiddle with each track and each sound until the end of time if you wanted to. and then nothing would ever get finished.

overbridge sucks. totally at odds with the whole original philosophy of that company & their hardware.

re: the new mk2s. i'm all about stark minimal interfaces but this new look is terrible. just really uninspiring. a boring and soul killing corporate look. like sitting in a cubicle and staring at a spreadsheet app for 8 hours.

+ these new ones are HUGE :

4ce8efb550fa70344704caf898de9aea5728c2e5

0c41bd53e1cf2b6f9947a2faaf165694c9850c89

on the upside, this is a great time to pick up the black mk1s used. prices are about to drop like a rock!

Holy fuck that is massive. I'm more annoyed I bought my A4 just before this price drop rather than the actual new version. Maybe it sounds better I dunno, but it's not exactly drawing me in.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

yikes, I didn't realise they were that much bigger.. that's kinda put me off them now. I guess this is partly in response to sausage-fingered people complaining about not enough space between encoders? Plus there doesn't appear to be any way to rack/stand-mount them, and now there will be yet another plastic cover just for these two, lol.

I don't mind the lighter grey compared to the OT mk2 actually. At this rate, if there is a monomachine mk3 coming, it'll be white.. which, tbh would look pretty fkn amazing.

I will most likely bite the bullet and get either a secondhand or discounted A4 mk1 at some point soon, unless they announce a new monomachine or similar digital synth in the next week or two :P

Edited by modey

Guest Chesney

I prefer to record stereo outs too, just jam for longer if you want more options in the box. I have tried recording all seperate but ends up just really boring and samey because it's so much harder to make sense of it all once it's all in.

Commitment is the key yeah.

I Quite like the new form but maybe because I hated the black and red so much compared to the beautiful brushed Aluminium of the MD/MnM.

lol black and red (and grey!) were part of the 0F.digital aesthetic even before I got the octatrack. It's like it was meant to be :P

Damn those are big in comparison. Seems an odd choice, maybe to make the machines seem more like centerpieces? Maybe the new button and knob proportions required some extra space? The more I look at the new ones the less I like them. No need of them for me though. Does make me worried about their future offerings.

With Elektron, everything has been complained about at some point by some whiny shit somewhere. Cramped knobs are not among common complaints I've ever seen, though.

Fuck it, just a straight FM/PM machine. Let it use incoming audio as well as delay lines as modulators in the algorithms. Make it cute and tiny like the digitakt.

Physical modelling in hardware really has been dead in the water for a long time, I would love to see something like this.  Just a single polyphonic part with some kind of modular (or at least semi-modular), with audio input as an operator (so that you could choose where to inject external audio in the algorithm you built, rather than being limited to a fixed point in it).  maybe a couple velocity sensitive pads on it or something.

Basically something that was to Tassman what the OT is to Live (i.e. not actually the same at all but similar enough to make superficial comparisons).

the new rytm now apparently has CV control inputs, which has made me lust over an elektron for the first time since my hated machinedrum. 

Fuck it, just a straight FM/PM machine. Let it use incoming audio as well as delay lines as modulators in the algorithms. Make it cute and tiny like the digitakt.

Physical modelling in hardware really has been dead in the water for a long time, I would love to see something like this.  Just a single polyphonic part with some kind of modular (or at least semi-modular), with audio input as an operator (so that you could choose where to inject external audio in the algorithm you built, rather than being limited to a fixed point in it).  maybe a couple velocity sensitive pads on it or something.

Basically something that was to Tassman what the OT is to Live (i.e. not actually the same at all but similar enough to make superficial comparisons).

Yeah this is a cool idea actually. I had an idea for a tracker that the Octatrack ended up being really similar to, minus a few things, one of which was this idea of being able to use arbitrary signals as modulators. Maybe I will revisit this. 

I'm worried about elektron

Me too :|

I'm worried about elektron

Me too :|

only a new digital machine, new (an integrated) machinedrum (and) or monomachine polymachine with the best sequencer ever, analog distortion and 150 digital effects could save them im my eyes  :cerious: